Wow Wow not good

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
violoncello
Teen HOF
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Wow Wow not good

Postby violoncello » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:06 pm

Ok well I just got my flying squirrels a couple weeks ago if that. I posted a thread on the adoptions announcement page. Well i decided this deserves it's own thread.

To start, I got 2 "female" "northern" "baby" fliers from keystone exotics in PA. Well turns out AT LEAST 2 of those three adjectives are wrong. Today when they were running around my bathroom they began to mate.......a lot.

So, i am assuming they are not even CLOSE to 8-9 weeks old like the are supposed to be and i am assuming they are full grown southern fliers.

One thing that is odd though is that they are not that shy. The female accepts food from your hand while in her cage and when they are playing in the bathroom the jump all over me. And they have yet to bite (although they have given a nibble to my toe a few times).

So i would like to know what you guys think lol..... it really irks me that i was lied to, but i still really like them.

~John~

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:13 pm

OH...wow...um you have some really frisky fliers there no? :-s

Um I'm not sure what to say, I'm no expert in this area. I'm sure there will be lots of people around to give you a full and complete answer soon. I was just gonna point out that as long as you like them then you should keep them. Of course you should go and talk to the people who sold them to you but if you want a refund they might ask you to give them back and that should be taken care of to your own discression. (I know I spelt that wrong...)

Oh btw good luck on whatever it is your final decision turns out to be.
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:15 pm

Gosh John, I'm new at this too but they look like my southern babies which are 3 months old now.

A couple of time ours did that and it was a dominance thing going on. They are both girls too. It only lasted a short while.

I'm sure more experienced others will write in about it.

In the meantime, they are adorable and seem real friendly. If you like them and bond, would it make any difference as long as they love you and you love them?
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

violoncello
Teen HOF

Postby violoncello » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:57 pm

I'm keeping them no matter what. They are going to be split up when i go to college....one is my friend's and one is mine. If they do end up having babies we will each probably keep one.

Well now im confused about everything because they can be girls now haha.....im not confident of their ages, sex, or locality. I could definately sex them easity, but at this point id rather not restrain them and make them feel threatened.
~John~

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:03 pm

I've read that "humping" one another could be a sign of dominance. Boss and Gucci, my sfs, humped eachother (yes, Gucci humped Boss) and never made babies. They could very well be females that are accomplishing a social hierarchy. And as for size, baby northerns are usually the size of adult southerns so wait a while and let them grow.

violoncello
Teen HOF

Postby violoncello » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:22 pm

OK well that put me at peace somewhat.......... I'll have to sex them....i hope it doesnt make them lose their trust.
~John~

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:34 pm

This is one I can't help with, however, I would probably believe that it is a dominance thing going on. One has to figure who the alpha is. I know some flyers will even do this with their HOF's to try to show they are the boss.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:51 pm

Yes! 6 and 8 week old flyers will hump anything. Especially each other. They will even hump their own mama if they are the type who are planning to TAKE OVER THE WORLD when they grow up. And a surprising number of them do see themselves as global dictators.
Read up on the educational sections about how to sex your babies. It isn't hard to see whats what there :twisted:

btw, they are adorable. That bossiest one will prolly start humping you soon :roll:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:31 pm

They do look relatively young, but its hard to say from the pic. A fully developed male should have pretty large "baggage" down there. The females will have nipples. One thing to consider, though, is that males mature faster than females and will begin to mate when ready and could get a female pregnant before she really should be so keep that in mind. Are they basically the same size? Dominance is a possibility, but you'll have to check about their genders. In the case that you find one to be male and one female and the female is not fully developed, you should separate them. And, although you can separate them later on, if you are raising them together it would be better for them to stay together. Once they are bonded to other flyers it isn't really fair to take that out of their lives.
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Yolanda
NFSA Member

Postby Yolanda » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:53 pm

It's a dominance thing. One of my triplet boys (now 3 months) has been doing it to both his brother and sister for a month now. He "thinks" he is in charge, but his sister, the great Queen Nefertiti, is in second command, just under her mother George. :roll:
Yolanda

owned by Lukas and his children: Hickory, Queen Nefertiti, Yuki, Buttercup, Lily, and Jib; RIP George (mate of Lucas and mother of his children)
Cinderella the rabbit
Jasper, Sibbie, Echo, Simon, Sphinx, Cotton, and Indigo (cats)

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:55 pm

I thought the same thing. It wouldh't be fair to seperate them after having grown up together. That's sad!
- Patti -

The Official Poopologist

Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:03 pm

I'm glad your keeping them. And I'm sure we'd all love to hear more stories!
Owned by

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:15 pm

I believe for sure it's the way squirrels determine who is in charge. We have to males that chase each other around and attempt to bear hug each other as well.

John C captured this behaviour in wild squirrels with his (unfortuanly now defunked) squirrel cams:

http://www.wap.atfreeweb.com/flyingsqui ... ouse2.html

Look at the lower left pic, you can see a whole conga line of squirrel's lined up!

I've also watched juvenile grey's do this as well.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:28 am

BTW have you figured out if they guy was lying? Have they grown?
Owned by

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:39 pm

In pups, it's a form of play.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “General”