Getting Rid of Pests

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Getting Rid of Pests

Postby Joan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:54 pm

Moths ...Try putting the feed in the freezer, and only taking out enough for about a week, and keeping the week's worth in the refrigerator. Feed only what they will eat in a day or two - don't let it sit in the feed cup.

Fruit Flies ... fill a small glass 1/2" with Apple Cider Vinegar & 2 drops of dishwashing liquid, mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever!

For the fruit flies, take a cockroach sticky trap, apply some peanut butter to it and tape it gooey side facing the inside of the trash can ...The fruit flies just fly right into it, end of problem.
Keep seed mix outdoors in a large can.

Ants ... Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it "home," and can't digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, esp. If it rains, but it works & you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

Terro vs Borax to Kill Ants
Terro is simply liquefied Borax and sugar!! For the price of the little bottle of Terro, you can get a very large box of Borax 20 Mule Team laundry booster. Mix about 1/2 cup borax with about the same amount of sugar and sprinkled away. Sprinkle it on the ant trails, entrance points, around the house, etc. They will take it back to the nest and it'll kill them all.

Drain Flies .... A cup of Clorox down the drain once a week for 2-3 weeks usually does the trick. If not you can contact a pest control company for a product called "Drain Away".

Spiders ... Keep a spray bottle handy with regular ammonia in it and spray the spiders as you see them. It drops a spider dead.

Electronic Fly Swatter: http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisear ... &Submit=Go

Kitchen pest traps from Solutions Catalog. They have a sticky inside and a pheromone smell:
http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemI ... ductID=738

http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemI ... uctID=9888

http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemI ... C491%2C527

http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemI ... C491%2C527

http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemI ... ctID=10784

Contributors: Lora, Judy C., Darra, Kay, Joan, Moca, & Deb
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Moca
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Getting Rid of Pests

Postby Moca » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:04 am

I just tried the fruit fly trap using apple juice and detergent...Works just as well. They are drawn to it like...Well...flies! :cheers: :party:
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Lee Marsh
NFSA Member

Postby Lee Marsh » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:26 pm

I recently heard a talk show host talk about using white vinegar to kill drain pests. The reason for using this instead of bleach is that the bleach kills the beneficial lizards at the other end of the pipe, where it drains into the sewer. Vinegar will not hurt lizards, but it kills other pests. Just food for thought . . . :?
Owned by flyers Sweet Pea and Indy, and cats Valerie, Marty, Tinker and Cloey

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Lee, I bought one of those "pest" traps that are a triangluar shaped marble and you put these plastic inserts inside. It worked great and finally evaporated. When I smelled it, it smelled just like vinegar; so I just refilled the inset with vinegar and it works fine.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:20 am

I have used em[ty spice or olive oil as traps for fruit flies.One in the bathroom and two in the kitchen. It's worked very well.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.

www.abcbirds.org

:coffee: Moca

NatureTalk

Postby NatureTalk » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:27 am

We had an invasion of moths awhile back, and still a few now and again.

I find they are useful for allowing me to express genocidal rages that are not socially acceptable in any other context. :-) It's like a zen warfare practice to chase them around the house, seeing if you can actually catch the little buggers.

The other methods suggested in the posts above are probably more efficient. :-)
Nature-Talk News:
The best nature on the Net, delivered to your inbox each week.
Nature Photo Gallery | Nature Video Clips

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:56 pm

NatureTalk wrote:... The other methods suggested in the posts above are probably more efficient. :-)

But not as existentially satisfying. :wink:

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:49 pm

NatureTalk, you need to get one of the electrified fly swatters. Not only do you get to chase them down, but you also get to watch them spark and pop when you get them! Ahhhhh - a bottle of beer, an electric flyswatter...what more could anyone ask for? :D :D :D

Judy C.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Judy's right. :twisted: http://www.suspendease.shoppingcartsplu ... llers.html
Harbor Freight carries them too.

CzNik2
Juvie Pup

Postby CzNik2 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:55 pm

Fruit Fly Trap....Homemade too....

Get one of those 1 portion ravioli cans with the plastic lidz with the 4 vent holes, wash it and add some banana slices in the bottom and put the lid on it and wait about a day and then use some tape to tape the 4 holes shut and throw the entire thing in the trash....I use these at work we have TONS of them little buggers... I took it out to the dumpster and wanted to see just how many was in there to see if it worked and Holy Cow it was FULL of them... Works like a charm...

Brian
Last edited by CzNik2 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:54 pm

Cool idea

Earl's Mom
Juvie Pup

Postby Earl's Mom » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:13 am

I realize I'm posting on an old topic, but I need help getting rid of Meal Moths!

I read these postings, but I'm not sure the moth removal is going to be effective since I can't possibly clean the bottom of their cage daily. I bought some "Safe Pest Removal" traps from Lowes. Apparently, they're too safe because they're not working! When I first noticed the moths, I put all of the nuts in ziploc bags and into the freezer for about a week. Now, they're still ziploc sealed and in a closed container. However, the moths are still all over the place in the squirrels' bedroom. Help, please!

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:30 am

The moths go through a larval and pupal stage in the environment (possibly on the floor of the cage or in food container). Over a period of time they emerge from the pupae and appear as flying moths. The moth traps I have tried worked well for the adults. Just remember that you will keep seeing them for some time until all have completed their life cycle. Keep food substances in freezer or tightly sealed containers to prevent the cycle from starting all over.
David

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks Joan that's really helpful but you failed to mention how to get rid of unwanted relatives :D
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:15 am

flyer_1 wrote:Thanks Joan that's really helpful but you failed to mention how to get rid of unwanted relatives :D

When dinner is finished, call the dog and let him lick off the plates ... then place them directly back into the cabinet. Works for me every time! :twisted:

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:57 pm

:rofl: I've been on the end of THAT! a few times.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Return to “General”