Japanese Pygmy Flyers (or maybe Russian)

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Judy C.

Japanese Pygmy Flyers (or maybe Russian)

Postby Judy C. » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:51 pm

These are from a Japanese book, and the text is all in Japanese. I bought the books off eBay, and the person said they were Russian squirrels. The Japanese and Russian flyers are closely related - I'm still trying to learn more about them. But the photos are fantastic, and the flyers are the cutest things I have ever seen!

Judy[/img]

Babysmama
Juvie Pup
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Flyers

Postby Babysmama » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:57 am

Judy they are just the most precious little furballs ever. The last picture those two almost resemble our Northerns but they are a little lighter grey but still adorable. Thank you for sharing them.
Kathy, Baby, Chipper, Major Tom. Rocky and always in my heart Precious and Buddy.

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:14 am

There is a Siberian flyer too. I wonder if that's the same as a Russian. I recently saw a picture of an "albino" flying squirrel & was thinking it was a Russian. Looked more of a frosted color than actual albino.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:32 pm

I wonder how hard it would be to become owned by one of these? I would love one of those......like I need anymore :roll:
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:03 pm

Gloria, I'm with you on that one. How do we get one? Wouldn't it be wonderful to own one. Would it be possible by any stretch of the imagination? :multi: :multi: :multi:
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:19 pm

I call them the little no-neck flyers. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:53 pm

No neck and No ears! :twisted: But they sure are pretty :D
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

WantsAFlyer
Flying Furball

Postby WantsAFlyer » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:21 pm

They're adorable! I wonder how small they are in comparison to the southerns? They have such pretty coats!

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:39 pm

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!
They look fat, don't they? I wonder if they are as sweet as our Southern's? They look like they would be bigger.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:43 pm

So, okay, who is going to fly to Japan and bring us all one back?
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:47 pm

Kevin has a friend there. He gave me a book on them, but it's all in Japanese. :roll:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:39 am

Joan wrote:Kevin has a friend there. He gave me a book on them, but it's all in Japanese. :roll:
It's probably one of the books I've got - I bought 3, and they are all in Japanese! I knew they were before I bought them, but I didn't think it would drive me crazy the way it is. Guess I'm just nosey!!! But I sure would like to know what all the text says!

Joan, I think we need to take some of the money NFSA has and take a trip to Japan and try our hand at smuggling!

Judy

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:52 am

Judy C. wrote: ... Joan, I think we need to take some of the money NFSA has and take a trip to Japan and try our hand at smuggling!

Now that seems like a worthy cause for the NFSA. I have a Japanese friend and I think she goes to the Northern Island where these guys live. I'll contact her ... get your winter boots ready. :twisted:

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:32 am

Joan wrote:
Judy C. wrote: ... Joan, I think we need to take some of the money NFSA has and take a trip to Japan and try our hand at smuggling!

Now that seems like a worthy cause for the NFSA. I have a Japanese friend and I think she goes to the Northern Island where these guys live. I'll contact her ... get your winter boots ready. :twisted:

Way to go you guys! That would be a worthy cause for the NFSA and we have a volunteer to go. How many do you think you could smuggle back Judy?
Wanda
Owned by Shelly, Rose
And All My Lil Orphans

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:14 am

Joan, can your friend translate the text in the flyer books? I can scan my books and send them to you for translation.

I can be ready to go to Japan with 3 days notice. I should be able to smuggle back quite a few, since I will have an entire suitcase empty for the flyers.....the one I will take packed with food to eat while I am there, 'cause I sure AIN'T EATIN SUSHI!!!!!

Judy

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:10 pm

Judy, I can be ready in only two days. Can I go with you? I can carry more suitcases so we can have more to eat while we are there. :twisted: :twisted:
- Patti -

The Official Poopologist

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:22 pm

[quote="Judy C."]Joan, can your friend translate the text in the flyer books? I can scan my books and send them to you for translation.

Actually, my friend is a translator ... for Japanese and American businesses. I haven't talked with her in a couple of years, but will try to track her down. I'll let you know.

I can be ready to go to Japan with 3 days notice. I should be able to smuggle back quite a few, since I will have an entire suitcase empty for the flyers.....the one I will take packed with food to eat while I am there, 'cause I sure AIN'T EATIN SUSHI!!!!!

I'll eat Sushi and keep the containers for flyers ... though those little guys look pretty chubby.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:23 pm

Airstreamlady wrote:Judy, I can be ready in only two days. Can I go with you? I can carry more suitcases so we can have more to eat while we are there. :twisted: :twisted:

Of course, we'll need all the suitcases we can muster. :D

WantsAFlyer
Flying Furball

Postby WantsAFlyer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:46 pm

Judy C. wrote:Joan, can your friend translate the text in the flyer books? I can scan my books and send them to you for translation.

Hey I think most of the members would pay for a translated copy, I know I would definitely want one. You could sell them to raise funds for your flight to Japan! :bday:

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:44 pm

I love it when a plan comes together. All three of my flyers are ready to accept their friend from Japan........

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:12 am

I already have 6 Japanese Black Pines growing, 'cause from the second pic, it looks like they are two fisted eaters when it comes to pine blooms :wink: I'm coming! I volunteer to smuggle, eat sushi, and feed furballs with copsticks :twisted:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:17 am

Deb, I'm RIFL. I'm trying to vision feeding a flyer a copstick. :twisted: :twisted:

There just might be a "Cop" coming after us with a "Stick" if we don't watch out.

I guess we'll need someone to ride shotgun now.

Any volunteers 'cause I'm still running with the suitcases full of our food.
- Patti -

The Official Poopologist

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:06 pm

Airstreamlady wrote:Deb, I'm RIFL. I'm trying to vision feeding a flyer a copstick. :twisted: :twisted:

There just might be a "Cop" coming after us with a "Stick" if we don't watch out.

I guess we'll need someone to ride shotgun now.

Any volunteers 'cause I'm still running with the suitcases full of our food.

I volunteer to ride shotgun!!
I'll take another large suitcase to fill with those chunky Japanese flyers.
Ok Joan, the trip to Japan is all worked out. Where are our tickets??
Wanda
Owned by Shelly, Rose
And All My Lil Orphans

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:05 pm

I said feed them WITH chopsticks...not feed them chopsticks! But Molly has chewed some of my favorite chopsticks :bad-words:

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:19 pm

OK - more info on the Siberian and Japanese flyers. The two are about the same size. The Siberian is grey in summer, silver in winter. They weigh around 5 to 7 3/4 oz, but are only about 7 or 8 inches long (body and tail). This puts them slightly shorter than the SFS, but twice as heavy!!!! Which is rather scary to imagine!

Judy

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:08 am

Judy C. wrote: ... This puts them slightly shorter than the SFS, but twice as heavy!!!! Which is rather scary to imagine!

Sounds like Tom's wild bunch. LOL

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:54 am

They are so cute. I want two of them. A Boy and a girl. I will donate trip money and I have 4 suitcases on wheels that are very roomy.

I loved the one pic of the one grooming the other. The face expression is just to precious.

Mary

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:11 am

Deb wrote:I already have 6 Japanese Black Pines growing, 'cause from the second pic, it looks like they are two fisted eaters when it comes to pine blooms :wink: I'm coming! I volunteer to smuggle, eat sushi, and feed furballs with copsticks :twisted:

Deb, I just couldn't help myself. I knew what you meant , it was just a funny typo. I'm sorry. Sure changed the story around somewhat. Sorry, I translated a type into something I thought was funny. My humor is not funny to others sometimes.
- Patti -

The Official Poopologist

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:16 am

They are really cute! They look a lot like our southerns except lighter fur and black eye make-up instead of the white eye make-up that our southerns have.
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:05 pm

krups1110 wrote:...They look a lot like our southerns except lighter fur and black eye make-up instead of the white eye make-up that our southerns have.

They're little teenaged Goths. :twisted:

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:04 pm

Okay, lets get our crew on the road. Do we need to send a crew to Russia for some of theirs too? I love Russian food so I would volunteer for that trip even though I don't fly....

angelicparticles
NFSA Member

Postby angelicparticles » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:30 pm

ooo they are sooo cute and chubby!!!
Viva La Squirrelly Liberator!
Pinky RIP: 2004-2007

Future Squammy

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:11 pm

i knew you were joshin' Patti :D
Maria and I eat with chopsticks in an effort to slow us down and maybe eat less :roll: But all it's done is make us experts in Speed-Chopstick! Molly has chewed on them when she finds them left out after our late night snacks :twisted:

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:22 pm

Joan wrote:
Judy C. wrote: ... This puts them slightly shorter than the SFS, but twice as heavy!!!! Which is rather scary to imagine!

Sounds like Tom's wild bunch. LOL

they are scary! i would hate to have one of those alpha females jump at me.

i will donate money to this smuggling of japanese flyers trip :twisted:
i'll take one!
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Bejammie
NFSA Member

Postby Bejammie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:43 pm

I'll put in money for the smuggling plans, too!!

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Delilah and her little Japanese brother would be so cute curled up together!!

Aww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
♠ Allison ♠
Squammy to Delilah and Timber
-Always remembering my little wild guy, Sprocket- gliding free in those southern breezes-
-The life of a lamb is no less precious to me than that of a human being.- Ghandi

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:46 pm

if you guys get to go to japan and russia, then i want to go on the trip to get those giant red ones from southeast asia!
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

LaurenLovesFlyers
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby LaurenLovesFlyers » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:24 pm

We need some pro. smugglers!
Awh, i would so love to have one of those fat, fluffy little cuties!

:multi:

Thanks for the pictures of them Judy, now just something else I can aw over all day :)
-Lauren-

Rest in peace Fidget, your mommy loves you dearly.

HOF to the bi-polar little boy Bandit <3

WantsAFlyer
Flying Furball

Postby WantsAFlyer » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:55 am

krups1110 wrote:if you guys get to go to japan and russia, then i want to go on the trip to get those giant red ones from southeast asia!

Ooo me too! I want them all! :bday:

Imagine trying to hide one of those in your shirt... :twisted:

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:18 pm

my bf went to the singapore zoo. they have a large indoor enclosure where the giant red flyers are allowed to roam free with you in there! i want to go! although i'd probably be terrified to have one of those guys jump at me, for fear of a faceplant...
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

malerris21
Juvie Pup

Re: Japanese Pygmy Flyers (or maybe Russian)

Postby malerris21 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:22 am

OMG I'd love one of those tubby babies... sigh! :puppydogeyes:

Return to “General”