Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Some sad news

Postby Joan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:29 pm

I got this from Colin (throwaway) today:

"Some sad news. Gunter ( Tenachias) Gammisch passed away last Wednesday. He had been in and out of the hospital a lot the last few months. Everything had just shut down on him. He was 86. He started to slow down after his wife died 2 years ago. He left with me 11 flying squirrels, 2 chins, 1 Main coon cat, and his Racoon. He will be missed around here. He saved a lot of Wildlife around here for the last 25 years."
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

gloryaf88
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby gloryaf88 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:43 pm

I am so sorry to hear this news.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Babysmama
Juvie Pup

Postby Babysmama » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:39 pm

I am very sorry to hear of your friends passings. He sounds like a very remarkable man who cared about animals very much.
Kathy, Baby, Chipper, Major Tom. Rocky and always in my heart Precious and Buddy.

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:16 pm

I'm trying to think of where I know the name from. Was he from FL? I think maybe he posted on Bev's Voy Forum? It's so great that the critters are being cared for properly.

kay

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:40 am

Gunter was from New Jersey. He and Colin were pals and Gunter supplied Colin with flyers for his pet store when he had pups.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:07 pm

I am so sorry to hear the sad news of Gunter but so happy that Colin can help his family take care of the critters. Colin we are thinking of you and the wonderful job of caring for the little critters.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Throwaway
NFSA Member

Postby Throwaway » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks everyone for the kind words. He will be missed around here. He worked very close with the local shelter when they would get in sick or injured wildlife. Just last Sept. I realsed 4 Raccoons and 4 Flyer's cause he was in the hospital. I have 4 more Flyer's that I will release in the spring. They came from a house that was torn down last month.

thanks again
Colin
RIP Little Buddy

CatStina
Flying Furball

Re: Some sad news

Postby CatStina » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 pm

I heard about Gunter's passing last year and was very sad about the news. My step father and I visited Gunter in late summer of 2006. We saw his raccoons that he was rehabbing and his lovely flyers. It was a nice trip. He was such a sweet man. I took some pictures of the raccoons and the sign on the fence. I thought that I would attach some of the pictures now.

The sign on the gate:

Some pictures of the young 'coons! They were so cute:
~t Christina j~
Loving Squammy of Emo (RIP, 3/17/2006-6/15/2012)

Mom to Bowie the Fat Cat, Ziggy the Tiny Cat, Saxon the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Neljä and Viisi the gerbils

Throwaway
NFSA Member

Postby Throwaway » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks for the pics Catstina. The raccoons were released a few weeks after you were there. I met your step dad when he came down for a cage. I gave him some mealworms for his trip back. I have lost 2 of Gunter's flyers since he died, but still have 5 that are well over 10 years old now. I still have his Chins and his cat Bobby.

thanks again
Colin
RIP Little Buddy

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:47 pm

Colin, so good to see you post. Catstina, great pictures.

CatStina
Flying Furball

Postby CatStina » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:24 pm

I'm glad the raccoons were released. They were so cute that it was difficult to think of them as wild animals. That's great that the flyers are still thriving at 10! Also good to hear about his Chins and Bobby. I didn't know that you had met my step dad. He always had fun visiting, the few times that he did. I know the squirrels appreciated those meal worms, he he.

It's really good to hear about all of the animals, thanks for the post!
~t Christina j~
Loving Squammy of Emo (RIP, 3/17/2006-6/15/2012)

Mom to Bowie the Fat Cat, Ziggy the Tiny Cat, Saxon the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Neljä and Viisi the gerbils

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:31 am

Very sad news, loosing a loved one is just too hard, however everyone has a time. It's good that he made a big difference to many animals in need and helped make a good home for many who needed one....sad to loose a good rehabber and I'm sure a good person. Best wishes Travis.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Return to “General”