Thinking about getting a FS, have a few questions

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
rael

Thinking about getting a FS, have a few questions

Postby rael » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:48 am

I've been feeling like getting a pet for a while now, and searching for what would fit with me and flying squirrels sound wonderful. So far I've read through enough that I think I have a good idea what kinda of time/effort it takes to raise and care for one but I do have a couple of points I'm a little unsure on. I'm in Washington state(north of Seattle) and from what I can tell there aren't a lot of breeders near by and from what I've seen Helen's Little Creatures seems to be considered the best option in the more commercial breeders arena so that would likely be where I'd end up getting one from.

For cages I'm thinking I'd try building something myself, it sounds like wood/wire or PVC/wire cages are both valid options, but I'm not sure about how much effort/time/money it would take to build one of these. Would it be a good idea to get a smaller cage to begin with while I work on building a cage, or should I just buy a larger one to start and call it good?

Second, cost. I've got an idea of initial cost, but longer term I'm not so sure. From what I've read it sounds like a $5 bag of nuts/fruit tends to last for quite some time, but you need several varieties in addition to fresh fruit/veggies(of which I should keep more around anyway). would I be high or low to guess around the $20 a month range for food and supplies?

Finding a vet is important, and I've read that it's not too difficult up here. My question is is this a more for emergencies only thing, or are regular check-ups recommended? And if so how often?

Finally, and probably the most deal breaker of everything would be my schedule right after getting the new cute fuzzball. I work 10-5 daily, about 45 minutes away from home. So I'm gone 9-6ish Monday through Friday, but I rarely go to bed before 1am. So I fed the pup in the morning before I left, immediately after getting home, and then later that night while carrying him/her around most of the evening would this be adequate or would it not be frequent enough to cover the pups needs?

Thanks in advance,
-Rael

lynn
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Thinking about getting a FS, have a few questions

Postby lynn » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:49 pm

You should get a slightly older baby that is weaned. Most will take formula awhile after they really need it, but you want a pup that is getting all the necessary nutrition through self-feeding. You should be able to talk with the breeder about your schedule, too.
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

rael

Postby rael » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I have tried to contact Helen's Little Critters, But haven't gotten a reply yet from them. Maybe I'll try giving them a call if I don't hear from them by email. I'm thinking it'd work alright being that the day is quiet time for them, and that it would essentially equal 3 evenly spaced feedings through the day.

Anyone have any comments on the rest of my assumptions?

Thanks,
-Rael

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:54 pm

The ongoing costs are minimal.... unless you're an accessory junkie like me, lol. It's the initial cost that's high. A flyer from Helen's will run you $300 with shipping. A decent cage can run anywhere from $150-300 depending on size. Buy or make the biggest cage you can afford. The taller the better. Then you're looking at another $100 probably in accessories. Speaking of which... for those of you with little girls check this out on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2761.l1259

I emailed the seller & she can do one in brown mink as well & any size.

immatater
Flying Furball

Postby immatater » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Yes, the initial cost is the biggie (the squirrel and the cage). After that the food isn't much because I just give them bits of what we are eating (the healthy bits) and the seed mix (which lasts a while). You can find lots of stuff in the yard to feed them as well, as long as there aren't chemicals on it. As for toys, mine have more fun with the toys I've made than with anything I've bought (Krikkit's wheel excluded, he loves that thing! But that could go in w/ initial costs :p)

Return to “General”