Tom Hauk Returns

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Tom Hauk Returns

Postby Joan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Tom Hauk has spent several weeks in Key West teaching the locals all about flying squirrels with the help of Hou and Halle. It's even rumored that Hou hung out at a local spot and amused customers by greeting each individually or perhaps stealing their food. [-X
When Tom left to spend the winter in Key West, he released all of the flyers that were left in the Wild Bunch cage and left the doors open. Brenda, his working wife, told him that she kept seeing flyers it the cage; so she had been putting food and water out. She said that the food was gone soon after she put it in.
Tom put Hou and Halle in when he got home. Tonight, he took food out and stayed in the cage for about a half hour. He just sat on a hay bale and was able to count over 40 Flyers. He thinks that a whole colony has moved in.
They are very skittish and hide when he tries to touch any of them. He doesn't think they are any of the ones that were released (unless they lost a lot of weight) and if they are, they have gone completely wild as they do not act like they have ever seen Tom before.
Tom says this is a very interesting thing to see. It seems to prove that they can be in captivity and accept food from humans, but are quite ready to function in the wild. It also proves that they are smart enough to find and take advantage of a better shelter.
Tom closed the door so that stray cats cannot corner the flyers. He saw a few very young flyers mixed in. He thinks he's going to set the camera up again so that they can be observed.
HOORAY! =D>
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Tom Hauk Returns

Postby Mary » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:23 am

Thanks for the update. I had been thinking about Tom and his wildbunch and was wondering how things were going.
Thats very interesting. A new group of flyers. They will be jumping all over him and give him kisses in no time.

I have noticed at two of my 3 feeders, they will not come down if I am near it. I can only see them on my camera. Of course it is mighty cold out and they do seem to stay in the trees longer before coming for food. I do have a couple FS at one feeder that greet me almost every night.

Thanks
Mary

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:19 pm

this is very interesting. so all of those big flyers he had before are out in the wild now??
i hope he sets up the camera! that would be really cool.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:22 pm

voguemamselle619 wrote:... so all of those big flyers he had before are out in the wild now??.

I think they came back with friends. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Joan wrote:
voguemamselle619 wrote:... so all of those big flyers he had before are out in the wild now??.

I think they came back with friends. :D

they know the good life :D
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Azrail
Juvie Pup

Postby Azrail » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Wow neat!
I heard that there are a few places in the northwoods that could use a new tribe to be released in their forests... Of course that's the northern flying squirrel.

Thanks for the good read Joan :)
We want cameras

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Azrail wrote:... We want cameras

Tom had an Internet setup in his Wild Bunch cage so NFSA members could watch it 24/7, but gray squirrels chewed up his fiberoptic wiring. :(

Return to “General”