Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Acorns

Postby Joan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Acorns are starting to fall in NE Florida. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Re: Acorns

Postby lucy10177 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:15 pm

joan they are here too!!!! i think i have given rocky 1 or 2 before because of the urine smell you all talk about but, i think i will try a few more this year.....maybe a couple every once in a while. do they freeze well??
paula

PS
did you receive my membership dues??

Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Mary » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Oh Yes, I have been out collecting for almost a week now. Our one park has big fat juicy ones. (small ones too.) I have 6 gal so far in the freezer. May go back tomorrow for more.I like having about 9 or 10 gallon for winter feeding around here. It is better to go every other day once you clean up the fallen ones. Someone told me of another place to go on monday. It's called Coventry Oak Tree Park. I had no idea we had one. I did stop by after a couple hours at the other place. I only went for a short time and got a gal bucket pack full in no time. They were very small but so nice. I need to walk around and see what all they really have.
My brother and I are waiting for the chestnuts at his neighbors tree to turn brown. They LOVE LOVE them.

I am right on it and feeling good.
Mary

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:59 pm

lucy10177 wrote:.... do they freeze well??

Yes

lucy10177 wrote:.... PS did you receive my membership dues??

Yes, thanks Paula
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

amylou
Juvie Pup

Postby amylou » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:51 am

Do you wash/rinse them like maybe in a colander before you freeze them? Do you freeze them in freezer ziploc bags or ziploc boxes? I have both white oak and red oak trees around me. The red oaks most of the acorns are pretty small and green are those okay to store/freeze now or should I give them a while? :?

Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Mary » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:50 am

amylou wrote:Do you wash/rinse them like maybe in a colander before you freeze them? Do you freeze them in freezer ziploc bags or ziploc boxes? I have both white oak and red oak trees around me. The red oaks most of the acorns are pretty small and green are those okay to store/freeze now or should I give them a while? :?

I rinse/wash mine in a sink full of water then lay them on a towel to dry before putting them in freezer bags.
They LOVE the green ones.
Mary

Return to “General”