Stealth Wheel Questions

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
violetlady
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Stealth Wheel Questions

Postby violetlady » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:48 am

First, do most flyers enjoy/use wheels? Second, which is the quietest? & third, when checking out the SW web site I found that the person/persons making them is not currently producing them due to health issues. Does anyone know if this will likely be a temporary situation?
Thanks,
Martha
HOF to Ziggy

gwsgrand
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Stealth Wheel Questions

Postby gwsgrand » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:32 am

Mine never ran on any of the wheels we got for them and then all of a sudden we heard that wheel going and thought ok they are board and are starting to use it. Well to find out it wasn't our older ones but the baby Ghost Girl . She has about worn it out. LOL. Our oldest still will not get on it.
I have heard the stealth wheel is the best and the quitest wheel made. Maybe some one has a wheel that they are not using any more that you can buy from them. I under stand most don't want to give their wheels up. But you can ask and see if any one will sell theirs. Good Luck
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:40 am

Thanks Gail, perhaps someone with an unused one will read this thread.
HOF to Ziggy

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:41 pm

My squirrel LOVED his stealth wheel. It took a week for him to actually use it, but after that, he loved it. He would also use just about every other wheel too, but the safest wheels out there, in my opinion are stealth wheels, Silent Spinner wheels and wodent wheels. I've used all three (and for various animals). Silent Spinner and Stealth allowed my squirrel to run faster, to move it more easily and to seemingly have more fun and they were both quiet, but he reeaalllly enjoyed the stealth wheel because he could go super fast in it and then stop in the wheel without getting thrown around (because it has a plastic mesh running track). I think he preferred that running track anyway because it allowed himt o get more grip and probably gave him a climbing sensation too. It's also more durable....he would wear out a Silent Spinner quickly because he would use it so much and run so fast. They aren't really built to last like the stealths. I will say though...the stealth wheel si much bigger and heavier than all of the other wheels you would find out there, so keep that in mind too if you have a custome built cage. :)

Also...you can go to online sugar glider stores and order stealth wheels if you don't care about the color. It's the same thing, they probably just ordered them in bulk or something to sell them off their own sites. If your squirrel ends up not using the wheel, you could always sell it :) I hope some of this helps anyway lol

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Thanks spirit, your info was very helpful.
HOF to Ziggy

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:23 pm

Another question, is the 9" junior SW large enough for flyers? I'm not thinking of the minor cost difference, but the extra space a 12" would consume. I would want the side mount over the floor stand.
HOF to Ziggy

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:14 pm

I have the 12 inch one and it seemed perfect for him. While it's a big. heavy wheel, it wasn't too hard for him to move at all. Maybe someone else here has the 9 inch and can put in their 2 cents.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:52 pm

I have both the 12" and the 9", and my flyers love both. They are unbelievably quiet if you have a good cage, but in a lighter built cage they will make the cage itself rattle - it doesn't hurt the cage, but it does make some noise. You can reinforce the cage with zipties at the edges and that will help a whole lot. My flyers have worn out a Wodent Wheel, but the Stealth Wheels last forever!

Judy C.

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:07 am

Good feedback, thanks Judy. I believe the cage is heavy enough to not rattle because its made up of a solid wood frame w/1/2" x 1" welded wire on all sides. Now that I have these helpful suggestions, I guess its a matter of placing the order & waiting til the folks at atticworx.com are able to produce more of their products. I've looked at several other sites & found the wodent wheel available, but not the SW.
Thanks again to all who replied!
Martha
HOF to Ziggy

Katayun
NFSA Member

Postby Katayun » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:31 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE MY WHEEL!
Dont know what little Kiwi would do without it.
Actually, I don't know what I would do without it... so quiet.
I want another one.... if anyone can post the link here for me (if you have it handy) so I don't have to look for it, I would really appreciate it.
thanks
:cat: Kat + Kiwi

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:16 am

The folks that make them have a closed notice posted due to health issues. They offer another site called Critter Bin, but they don't currently offer what I wanted. The AtticWorx site does state that orders placed on the site will be filled when they reopen, so I placed the order there. Guess time will tell? Here is the link:
http://atticworx.com/atticworxproducts.htm
HOF to Ziggy

Kevin
NFSA Member

Postby Kevin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:51 pm

Our Bandit loves his wheel, I think he would have serious anxiety if he couldn't run on it. Suki on the other hand (our other squirrel) could care less.

I think if they have the wheel from an early age then they'll definitely take to it.

Here's a video of Mr. Bandit on his Stealth Wheel:

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Thanks loads for posting the video! That is soooo cool!!! Ziggy's wheel arrived yesterday. Haven't hung it yet but hope to tonight. I think the 9" one will be big enough, will report his response to it when I get one.
HOF to Ziggy

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:35 pm

I stayed up later than usual last night & was rewarded with witnessing Ziggy enjoy 2 fun runs in his wheel. :D Everyone was right, the stealth wheel is whisper quiet!
HOF to Ziggy

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:05 pm

Haha I'm glad you got your wheel(and that all parties involved like them!) Which size and color did you end up going with? The smaller one?

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Postby pnerissa » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:31 pm

Benji loves her wheel. I baited it with an almond the first night and she's been a running little fool ever since. :multi:

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:23 pm

I settled on the 9" only because I was concerned about space. Now that I have it, I see that the 12" would have worked equally well. I chose the black wheel with a white background.
HOF to Ziggy

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:06 pm

You can always use the 9" in a travel cage.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:42 am

Watching him in that wheel is such a HOOT! What amazes me most is that its the spinning that he appears to enjoy the most. He'll run enough to get it going really fast, then latch on for the ride. As soon as it slows enough he runs again to build momentum for another fun ride. Hubby got to see it for the first time today when he got up in the wee hours of the morning for something to drink (he doesn't do that routinely). Whats most curious to me is that the spinning action that he enjoys so much is not a natural behavior. I can't think of any activity they could engage in in the wild that would even come close to that.
HOF to Ziggy

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:09 pm

violetlady wrote:... I can't think of any activity they could engage in in the wild that would even come close to that.

Maybe backflips. :wink:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “General”