Ohatsie
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Fake Foliage, furthermore a Fountain?

Postby Ohatsie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Hey everyone,
Planning on trying to adopt a SFS during the fall season,
and I was thinking of buying some fake plants for the cage, give it some foliage, and put a nest box inside it, so that the little guy would have a nice private place to retreat too.

Are fake plants recommended. Are they Dangerous? Are there certain brands that are ok?

I also have a small stone water fountain already, the water isn't deep enough for a squirrel to drown in, and I thought it might be a nice addition to a cage?

In summation; are small stone water fountains, and fake trees prohibitive?
Colin

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Re: Fake Foliage, furthermore a Fountain?

Postby flyer_1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:00 pm

Hello Colin, I wouldn't worry about fake plants if you put a real branch in there they like that allot better and if you put 100% cotton in the nest box or pouch, whatever that would be great for them. Mine have cotton in there nest boxes and they love it. If you want plants than buy the one's for the sugar gliders, just make sure it has non toxic right on there, but someone else should be along to tell you what's okay.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:56 am

Ohatsie wrote:... Are fake plants recommended. ...I also have a small stone water fountain already, the water isn't deep enough for a squirrel to drown in, and I thought it might be a nice addition to a cage?

Just be prepared for the flyer to destroy fake plants. Also if the stone fountain has an electric cord, I wouldn't use it as they may well chew the cord.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:36 am

If your goal is to create a "pretty" cage interior you may well be dismayed with how quickly a flyer can distroy aesthetics! :rofl: His/her idea of a "nice" home will likely not be the same as yours. I'm with Joan on the fountain idea if it involves an electric cord. I would think the main concerns with cage design should be, 1st- safe for the flyer, & 2nd- easy to maintain/clean. I put fresh limbs (smallish) in Ziggy's cage on a regular basis. Some are selected for the lichen attached, others for the buds or leaves. These are not particularly attractive, but valuable amenities for Ziggy.
HOF to Ziggy

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Dido Joan I didn't even think about the cords, listen to the others Colin and try and keep it simple if you want to decorate his cage I totally understand, just try to maybe keep the same colours add a few different play toys, stuff to chew on, that sort of thing. Make sure that the space is open enough and has branches that he can climb and jump on.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Ohatsie
Juvie Pup

Postby Ohatsie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:35 pm

It wasn't so much about aesthetics as it was functionality, but Im starting to see it will just be easier to put some real branches in there and just fill the water bowl every day, haha.
Thanks for the input everyone!
Colin

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:42 pm

When they are very young, a very shollow dish of water is great, but after they become more active, they adapt quickly to a water bottle, the type w/a stainless curved tube. You do need to check these often to be sure they continue to emit small amounts of water.
HOF to Ziggy

Ohatsie
Juvie Pup

Postby Ohatsie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:56 am

Thanks Violet! Ill keep that in mind!
Colin

Return to “General”