Take my Flyer with me on vacation?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
AmeliasMommy
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Take my Flyer with me on vacation?

Postby AmeliasMommy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:19 am

Hi all, I have a dilemna.

I have had Amelia for 6 weeks now, after nursing her back to health when I found her in the yard. She and I are definitely bonded (I am not sure who is more attache to be honest :) ) That said I am about to go on a trip to South Florida for 9 days and am trying to decide whether I should take her with me or leave her home.

First, she goes to work with me every day. I have a travel cage she rides in to work and is in my shirt for the 8 hours at work and then a lot of the afternoon.

I have already taken her on three weekend trips with me. I don't mind putting her in the smaller (12x16x18 cage) for a couple of days and she does just fine. But she is used to a 8foot x 2 ft by 3ft cage at home, and I am worried about cooping her up in the smaller cage for a 9 day trip.

A friend, however, pointed out it may be worse for her for me to be gone for over a week and her to think she is being abandoned.

Just as a note, she would be more than welcome on my South Florida trip as I will be around where she is the bulk of the time... I would really appreciate any help in making this decision.

Thoughts?

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Take my Flyer with me on vacation?

Postby DinNorman » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 pm

I travel with Pearl a lot; 2-3 weeks at a time, often moving daily. She isnt the happiest camper but she does well, eats well, and comes out of the cage to interact some. The only time I left her home for a week, she was skinny when I returned-I think from not getting her treats each morning as she was only fed before nightfall.
David

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:17 am

AmeliasMommy wrote:... I don't mind putting her in the smaller (12x16x18 cage) for a couple of days and she does just fine. But she is used to a 8foot x 2 ft by 3ft cage at home, and I am worried about cooping her up in the smaller cage for a 9 day trip.

Does her travel cage have a wheel? My travel cages have a smaller Wodent wheel and Chuck uses it. You can give your girl out of cage time and she should be fine.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

AmeliasMommy

Postby AmeliasMommy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:00 am

Thank you both. We are both down in Key West and she seems to be just fine (curled in my shirt at the moment) Funny enough, the cage does have a wheel that she never cared about in the past, but finally 'discovered' it yesterday and is going crazy running in it and sending herself flying out of it :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:34 pm

Have fun! :bday:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “General”