Zinc and Lead in cages

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
spiritedaway20
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Zinc and Lead in cages

Postby spiritedaway20 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:14 am

I feel like I may have posted a topic like this before, but I can't remember.

I know zinc and lead are a proven problem for birds and sugar gliders, but is there a possibility that flyers may have the same sensitivities?

I know we all have a database that helps with flyer health and husbandry, so I was just wondering if this possibility has ever been explored in autopsies, personal experience, medical records, etc. I'm asking because most of us use galvanized wire for the cages we make, or we use small animal/bird cages, which all contain zinc and lead (of varying levels) if they are powder-coated and made outside the US.

Oh, and happy new year!

flyer_1
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Zinc and Lead in cages

Postby flyer_1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:07 pm

That's a good question, I don't think galvanized is bad...although I didn't do any research on this :( but I wonder if the powder coated cages could be bad for them to chew on?
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Zinc and Lead in cages

Postby spiritedaway20 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:46 pm

I believe the powder coating itself usually isn't too bad for them to chew on, especially since most don't eat it. That's why powder coating was created: a safe covering for raw wire.

The problem is that heavy metal poisoning often goes unnoticed and is quite deadly because of that, no matter the species, and zinc poisoning is pretty prevalent in rats, ferrets, sugar gliders, and birds especially based on what I have researched. They don't have to ingest the galvanized wire in pieces...they merely have to lick it.

The problem is that flyers aren't popular pets like birds, ferrets, etc, but even ferrets had flyer status at one point. So I hope eventually things like this will be elaborated on.

Return to “General”