Quinoa as a food

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
spiritedaway20
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Quinoa as a food

Postby spiritedaway20 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:41 am

I have been feeding my bird calcium-dusted quinoa as she loves it and it's an excellent source of protein and has a lot of other beneficial vitamins. a really good high quality grain (as well as an excellent source of protein). I gave some Quinoa to Samson and he absolutely went nuts and loved it!

The only bad thing is you have to dust it with calcium powder or serve it with yogurt because the phosphorous is so high, but...the good outweighs the bad with this grain so far. I was going to keep feeding it to him a few times a week to see how he does with it. Has anyone else tried quinoa on their flyers?

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Quinoa as a food

Postby Joan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:23 am

Never thought of it, but I know it's good for people. :)
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:50 am

Oh it's lovely for people! I love having mine with sea salt. Lots on the bird forums feeds it to their birds too. I like the red one the best, but they also have white.

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:01 pm

I just wanted to post an update. I have been giving Samson some red quinoa dusted with some caclium/d at night for 3 days in a row once a week. It seems to be doing well for him and I noticed his coat is a little shinier now. Could be the quinoa, or it could just be he put a little more effort into the grooming hehe. A little goes a long way, both for cooking and for the amount he can eat in a day. :)

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:29 pm

This may be a dumb question, but are you feeding Samson the quinoa before or after cooking it? Our furbutts like brown rice--after it's cooked, and oatmeal--before it's cooked. Thanks!
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Hi Vickie! That's not a stupid question. It's a very good question actually as some foods are better raw :)

Quinoa can be served cooked or sprouted (raw), but I am unsure as to the benefits of serving raw and unsprouted. I will have to look that up. I'm guessing it wouldn't be as beneficial since they seem to be a lot like beans in that respect. Perhaps others here will know more about it.

As for Sprouting....I have not done myself, but it is actually the most nutritional method of serving most hard seeds! You can google avian or bird sprouting seeds to see the "how-to's" and benefits of sprouting as that is where this practice is most prevalent in animal care.

Also, some important Quinoa Cooking/Sprouting.......

Quinoa (red and white) comes in a pre-rinsed and non-rinsed form and contains something called "saponins".

If you buy the non-rinsed form, just soak them and rinse them well. This not only gets debris out, but it also removes the saponins that naturally occur in unwashed quinoa. In fact, while you are rinsing it and while you are cooking it (if you did not rinse well enough), you will see what looks sort of like little soap bubbles in the water.

Failure to rinse out the saponins, or rinsing them completely, will result in bitter quinoa that can lead to nausea, vomiting, and other intestinal upset in some individuals (myself included). I'm not sure what it does to animals since I buy only pre-rinsed for them. When my mother and I ate Quinoa that wasn't rinsed well, we had a stomach ache and felt quite nauseous for a few hours. I'm not sure how my animals would react to it, but I don't want to chance it based on my reaction and the reaction of others.

I hope your critters enjoy the quinoa :)

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks for the great information! Didn't know about the saponins. I will purchase the pre-rinsed next time, and offer it to Barnie and Jimmy for taste-testing.
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

Return to “General”