Tom Hauk

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Tom Hauk

Postby Joan » Wed May 04, 2011 10:16 am

It's with great sadness that I report the death of Tom Hauk this week in Florida. Tom was a rehabber with over 50 years of experience and a lover of animals large and small. Tom was an extrordinary man with many skills and hobbies. He was an electrical engineer who helped build hospitals in China as well as many other foreign countries. He once rode a motorcycle across Australia for the Harley Davidson Company. He was an avid fisherman and shrimper, once owning his own Marine repair business and cast net production company. Many "stickies" and "announcements" on this messageboard are advice from Tom. He was well respected for his knowledge of flyers and his williness to share what he knew with anyone. He was the first receipent of The Joan Barron Award For The Betterment Of Flying Squirrels. He was suffering with severe heart problems in the past several years and was no longer active on the board, but still kept up with us. He's death is a great loss to the Flyer Community and he will be greatly missed by many and especially me. Rest in Peace Tom. :angel7:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Re: Tom Hauk

Postby Judy C. » Wed May 04, 2011 10:29 pm

I am so very sorry to hear of this, and you are righr - he will be very much missed. I really regret that I never got to meet him in person rather than just through the board - I always had the greatest of admiration and respect for him and the wonderful things he did for flyers. And my sympathy to you too, Joan, for I know what a dear friend you have lost.

Judy C.

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby DinNorman » Sat May 07, 2011 7:07 am

My sincere condolences to you Joan, on losing your long time friend. I wish I had been able to meet Tom, he was such a diverse and interesting man, and shared our love of flyers.
David

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon May 09, 2011 11:04 am

Transferring this post to this string:
voguemamselle619 wrote:I am so sorry to hear this. For those of you who do not know, I was lucky enough to get one of Tom's rescue flyers, Shylo, a few years ago. It was wonderful to meet him and his wild bunch. He did such wonderful things for these little treasures, and he will be greatly missed. May he rest in peace.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

4tupelo
NFSA Member

Postby 4tupelo » Fri May 27, 2011 12:13 pm

Hello Joan, I read with sadness of the passing of Tom...You spoke an wrote often an well of his work ...thankyou an warm regards. Bill

Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Mary » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:42 pm

To Joan and All who "Knew" Tom.

My Heartfelt deepest sympathy
Words can not express how dreadfully sorry I am to read this news.

I know this is late in response as I have not been checking on the flyer group very much this year.

I Loved reading every word and helpful advice that Tom wrote. He amazed me at his medical ways to making the little ones feel better again. His wildlife cage and the video's he took so we could all see how he and his wife would feed and care for them. My memories just keep on coming.

I never met this wonderful man but I am so happy that I was part of this group and got to know him even a little.
MaryM

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Mary, you are so right. Tom was wonderful and contributed so much to our knowlege of flyers. He would also be very embarassed that he was so well though of as he was very humble about his knowledge.

Return to “General”