Friendships between FS and Dog?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Friendships between FS and Dog?

Postby Mary » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:04 pm

I have a FS, Peanut who is 6 years old now and I have a golden retriever female dog who is 1 1/2 years old.

I have been giving Peanut new fleece bedding strips for his nest box so he is nice a cozy before winter hits us soon.
I have noticed in the last week or more that Peanut is giving and sharing with Molly my dog, fleece strips from his nest box. Molly brings them to me to show me and she likes chewing on them too. I do take them away from her when I can. I would love to see how Peanut is giving these to Molly. The bars are too small for Molly to take them out of the cage. It is a mystery. Molly goes in the room and watches Peanut run around in the cage at night alot. He does come out of his nest box when Molly visists.
It is cute...
Does anyone have a dog that is friends with a FS? Would love to hear about how they are.

MaryM

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Friendships between FS and Dog?

Postby Joan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:03 pm

I know Tom's dog Neut considered all his rescues as his own babies. Tom's Hou and Neut would take turns chasing each other down the hallway. Of course, Neut was as rare a dog as Tom was a human. I have a dog that would eat any flyer she could get hold of and one that would not know what to do if they didn't run. Most dogs are just too large to be friends with flyer as a "friendly" paw swipe could do damage.
Bet you Peanut is stuffing fleece strips into the wire holes enough for Molly to grab from the other side and pull through. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Delight
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Friendships between FS and Dog?

Postby Delight » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:05 am

My dog Blue doesn't know what to do with the flyers! When I let Tino out blue will sniff and try and lick him but could really care less about Tino unless tino flys onto him (which he does do sometimes) then blue usually get startled and Tino jumps off of him. Blue has a VERY low prey drive though and will only chase animals if they're outside of the house. He was raised indoors with geoffroys cats, wallabies, sugar gliders, bushbabies, coatimundis, raccoons, flying squirrels, patagonian cavies and so on, so most animals he really ignores unless they decide they want to play then every once in a while he'll play with them. Mainly he just lays in his chair and gives Tino (my pet flyer) the chicken eye (the funny look that chickens give you with their head cocked sideways) like "don't you dare jump on me you little monster!"
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

Return to “General”