Help, found a flyer.

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
tspunk
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Help, found a flyer.

Postby tspunk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:28 pm

I am an owner of a Southern Flying squirrel. (got him from helen's little critters). He will be a year old in 3 days.

Today, at the gym (in massachusetts), all these workers were running around trying to chase a squirrel.

I got closer and realized it was a flying squirrel. So i got a towel and helped them catch it. Then they said they were going to throw it out the back door. I wasn't so sure if that's what you're supposed to do so I asked for a box to bring it home and figure out the actual right thing to do.

So, in my travel cage, I now have what seems to be a northern flying squirrel. I think it's a girl. She's very shy. I fed her some seeds, a henry's healthy block, and water.

SHould I be scared to touch her? Can I get some kind of disease since she's probably wild?

Should I just bring her back to the area near the gym and let her loose? (I don't really see any trees around. it's kind of in a busy area with stores and a few trees, houses, etc).

If you guys know the answer now then I'll just do it tomorrow. If not, I will find a number to call in the morning to ask. (I'm guessing.. animal services? Anyone know who i'm supposed to call? I live in boston massachusetts).

Thanks!

I let my southern flying squirrel near the travel cage and he just looks and runs back into his big cage. haha. he's probably scared of her.

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Help, found a flyer.

Postby Joan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:15 am

I would release her in the open near the gym. Flying squirrels will get in buildings. Since she is wild, that's where she belongs. I wouldn't touch her as she'll likely bite the stew out of you. I wouldn't worry about disease, but rabies is always a possibility ... only 4 reported cases in flyers since the CDC has collected data and all those where in Florida and Alabama.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

tspunk
Baby Flyer

Postby tspunk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:25 am

that's the odd thing...

she's very calm and shy. i'll release her back behind the gym.

oops, i already touched her and she let me pet her cheeks like i do to my squirrel.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:05 am

She's a little seducer. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:03 pm

Northerns are typically more mellow than southerns, she also may be in a slight state of shock due to all the excitement. Good luck with her!
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

Return to “General”