Japanese Dwarf Flyer!

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Shannonriver
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Japanese Dwarf Flyer!

Postby Shannonriver » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:45 pm

OMG! Check out this link! I didnt think they could get any cuter! (& smaller) :D
http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/lex_exo ... irrel.html

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Japanese Dwarf Flyer!

Postby Joan » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:53 am

I call those the little no neck monsters. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:43 am

*want!!* They are soooo squee! We need to plan an NFSA trip around the world to see these in person :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:47 am

Now that's a plan ... a year long Annual Conference cruise! :multi:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

skul
Baby Flyer

Postby skul » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Don't let that "dwarf" word fool you. [-X
Those little cuties range from 12-15 inches total length when grown. :eeeeek:

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:07 pm

I actually am working on a couple leads right now to import a few of these into the U.S. to stablize a small breeding colony here. I'm super excited!! :multi:
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:30 am

That would be awesome! You'll have to keep us posted.

jennymar
Baby Flyer

Postby jennymar » Thu May 31, 2012 6:19 pm

I found this pic of what I think is the same type. They are super cute!
Attachments
fe20100418mba.jpg
fe20100418mba.jpg (62.76 KiB) Viewed 4608 times

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu May 31, 2012 11:51 pm

Yes, that's one .... no neck LOL

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:09 am

Soo cute, *want!*

jennymar
Baby Flyer

Postby jennymar » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Oh me toooooo! If you search "siberian flying squirrel" on youtube, you will see video of them. Looks like some lucky folks have one!

jennymar
Baby Flyer

Postby jennymar » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:52 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMQcTbakIF8 I couldn't resist posting this one, watch how this poor little squirrel wanted to keep on playing with those guys!

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Oooo mah gosh, sooooo cuuuuuute!

Isn't it amazing how their mannerisms are identical to the SFS, it appears? They do the head-bob before jumping, glide, and eat all the same way. Gotta love nature.

seijitsu

Introducing Piccolo! (Re: Japanese Dwarf Flyer!)

Postby seijitsu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:14 pm

jennymar wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMQcTbakIF8 I couldn't resist posting this one, watch how this poor little squirrel wanted to keep on playing with those guys!

This is Piccolo, who lives at Maruyama Zoo in Sapporo, Japan. His nickname is "Picchan."
I got to go on a behind-the-scenes tour of the enclosure and feed him a kabocha pumpkin seed. He is very sweet!
There are 5 more ezo momonga (Japanese dwarf flying squirrels native to Hokkaido, the northern island of Japan) in the same zoo. 4 of them share 1 larger cage next to Piccolo's, Piccolo is by himself, and Pokke is in a cage by herself behind the scenes (currently not viewable to zoo guests).

Unfortunately, Japanese society generally requires employees to be assigned to positions regardless of their interest or aptitude, and rotate among them, so the zookeepers assigned to the flying squirrels may not have any particular interest in them. I learned this from one of the zookeepers during the tour. He did not indicate that he had wanted to be assigned to the fliers when I asked how he got interested in this line of work. So, even if someone wanted to specialize in flying squirrels, squirrels, rodents, small mammals, etc. during school, there is absolutely no guarantee that they would get to work with them after employment, and might instead have to take care of predators that like to eat our friends. Conversely, at another zoo in Hokkaido, a young female zookeeper loved the flying squirrels and uploaded many photos of them to the zoo website for about a year, but she was rotated out to take care of other animals and was replaced by another zookeeper for care of the flying squirrels. This system in which one doesn't have any control about one's current/future position makes it so that some people with interest do not even try to go into the field and instead settle for boring office jobs elsewhere.
Of course, I am concerned that this frequent rotation of zookeepers is bad for the flying squirrels' well-being, since I imagine that the Japanese ones bond in the same way as the American ones.
Your resident informant on Japanese flying squirrels

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Introducing Piccolo! (Re: Japanese Dwarf Flyer!)

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:41 pm

seijitsu wrote:... Of course, I am concerned that this frequent rotation of zookeepers is bad for the flying squirrels' well-being, since I imagine that the Japanese ones bond in the same way as the American ones.

Not sure this is a bad thing for a zoo flyer. The only way to keep them "wilded up" is to avoid human contact. I'm surprised they even let him interact with the keepers as in the video. They have a small colony so he knows other flyers are around.
For rehabber wanting to release a flyer, the less human contact the better.

seijitsu

Re: Introducing Piccolo! (Re: Japanese Dwarf Flyer!)

Postby seijitsu » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:08 am

Joan wrote:
seijitsu wrote:... Of course, I am concerned that this frequent rotation of zookeepers is bad for the flying squirrels' well-being, since I imagine that the Japanese ones bond in the same way as the American ones.

Not sure this is a bad thing for a zoo flyer. The only way to keep them "wilded up" is to avoid human contact. I'm surprised they even let him interact with the keepers as in the video. They have a small colony so he knows other flyers are around.
For rehabber wanting to release a flyer, the less human contact the better.

I don't have the sense that they are trying to keep the flyers "wilded up..." Every time a zookeeper goes in to replace the food bowl, Picchan is allowed to jump onto his shoulder or climb over his chest or sit on the top of the swung-open cage door. The zoo's premier flying squirrel who passed away last year, Tarou-kun, used to perform gliding practice in front of crowds of zoo guests from time to time.

Picchan has not glided in front of guests much because he doesn't have as good aim and the zookeeper doesn't want him to feel embarrassed.

None of the flyers seem to bat an eye at being photographed through the glass by avid fans for hours on end, and from time to time will just hold your gaze inquisitively (so cute!!).
IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG (2.47 MiB) Viewed 3865 times

IMG_0393-croppedunsharplevels.jpg
IMG_0393-croppedunsharplevels.jpg (1011.11 KiB) Viewed 3865 times

I don't think any of the Hokkaido zoos have interest in releasing flying squirrels back into the wild, because each of the zoos are trying in vain to breed the ones they have with very little success. They do not capture wild flyers to put into zoos, so they can only get in a new flyer if one is found injured out in the wild, etc. Thus, happening to have a male and a female at the same time who could mate is a special opportunity.
However, Honey-chan at Maruyama Zoo lived together with Tarou-kun for many years but they didn't reproduce, so finally after they got in Picchan, they mated him with Honey-chan (even though she was still living with Tarou-kun and Picchan has a separate cage), resulting in, I think it was, 2 babies which they then sent off to another zoo (though one of the babies was adopted by Tarou-kun and spent some time with his mother and adoptive father before being relocated).

Finally, Tarou-kun did end up producing one baby with Honey-chan, who still lives in the larger cage with Honey-chan (along with 2 other flyers whose names and relation [if any] I don't know). Picchan continues to live in the separate cage. Across the rest of the zoos in the prefecture, only one other zoo has successfully produced babies, also a litter of 2. I believe that these few offspring are the only Hokkaido zoo births over the past 10 years.
The zookeeper told me that they really don't know why the flyers don't seem to want to breed in captivity. He posited that perhaps by living with Tarou-kun, Honey-chan felt she had someone to take care of and thereby didn't feel any impetus to have children; he wondered if keeping Tarou-kun and Honey-chan in separate cages might have led to more pregnancies.

(Honey-chan grooming Tarou-kun)
Your resident informant on Japanese flying squirrels

Return to “General”