some stiff fur

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
pattis
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

some stiff fur

Postby pattis » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:57 am

I can't seem to find an answer to a problem we're having. When I first got rowdy he seemed to have a rough feeling patch of fur (as if he has hair gel) It's on his shoulder area. I thought it was poo or something. He had a rough start in life. He was rescued from an irresponsible breeder which had 2 dozen or so flyers in a fish aquarium. (Makes you want to cry). I don't really know how long the lady who rescued them had them, but she had them in an aviary that she could walk in and spend time. Rowdy was 8 months old when I got him. I've had him for a month and a half.
I tried to wipe it with a damp paper towel, but the paper towel never had color to it. I've tried rubbing a fingertip full of cornstarch, but although it seemed like it helped at the time... it didn't. It seems to be growing larger. It's dark colored as if the fur is wet. The skin doesn't seem rough or irritated. He doesn't seem bothered by me rubbing it. There was one post that sounded similar and Joan suggested peanut butter. (I will try that tonight.) But the person never mentioned that it worked or what it was. Any suggestions?
Rowdy's friend

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: some stiff fur

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:43 am

I have given all my babies baths in Dawn. A little dot, a little warm water, and gently rub, then rinse. Try that. Then I wrap them in a fluffy washcloth, and put them on a heating pad (on low) until they dry, gently massaging them (this keeps them from getting sick). It seems to help until they can clean themselves (and sometimes when they get into something that just won't come out).

Jack won't be put close to the running water, so I put a little in my hand and pour it on him to get the soap out...it's best to get all the soap out.

This may not be the answer, Joan is way smarter than me at all of this, but maybe it will help!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks Shannon I wasn't sure about soap and water. I probably could do it dabbed on with a cotton ball. He also, doesn't like running water sounds and plastic bag sounds for that matter. I try to soothe him when we're near them.
Have you experienced that stiff fur in your older flyer? He should know how to clean himself by now I would think. Maybe he just can't reach that spot.
He still does pee a bit in his nesting box, but the box is big enough for him to be on one side.(which is where I find him) and he pees on only one side and mostly in only one corner. I change his bedding out every day or every other day depending.
Rowdy's friend

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:04 pm

No, I never had Daisy get that sticky fur...Is there a tree in his cage that he might be getting sap from?

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:40 pm

No, no trees or sap. His box is oak plywood. But maybe when he was in that aviary. ??? But I've had him since November 16th. Shouldn't sap be gone by then? He doesn't smell like pine tar. I posted here because I don't know what it is. Hopefully someone knows. Maybe between peanut butter tonight and a little soap and water tomorrow night it will gone. Thanks for your help.
Rowdy's friend

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:08 pm

Well... The peanut butter has helped a bunch. I applied a little more tonight. So happy my shy little one tolerates me.
Rowdy's friend

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Peanut butter gets gum out of kids hair and it works wonders for flyer fur too .... plus they love to clean it off LOL :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:59 pm

Very happy to announce that after nearly 2 months, Rowdy took a pecan from my hand!!!! Yipppeeee! I know if he was a baby flyer when I got him he'd be bonded to me, but he is coming along and he is definitely worth the effort! I love that little guy, even if he doesn't love me ....yet.
Rowdy's friend

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:02 pm

Aww, that's awesome Patti, I'm so glad, and before you know it, he'll be in love with you too! (although sometimes they have the weirdest way of showing it!!) :D

Return to “General”