bald spots

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
pattis
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

bald spots

Postby pattis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:21 am

Just wondering about the molt... It appears to me on the pictures of molts I've seen here that they loose their undercoat. Is that right? Rowdy has a couple of bald spots on him right now. Is that a molt or something else?
Also he did the cutest thing last night. He took all the paper towel bedding out of his nesting box and moved it to the little hanging basket I crocheted for him. That's where he's sleeping this morning.
Rowdy's friend

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: bald spots

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:48 am

That's so sweet. Jack's hair is thinning on top. :) I said he wants to be just like his dad. Or it could be a stress thing or him rubbing on something, Joan will probably know for sure, but I wouldn't worry.
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:27 pm

pattis wrote:...Rowdy has a couple of bald spots on him right now. Is that a molt or something else?

Post a picture if you can. Shannon is right it could also be from rubbing against something. If you've seen the molt pictures and it looks that way, it's likely that. Sometimes in a molt the undercoat is intact and a weird pattern appears. I saw a photo of one in the shape of an acorn. :o
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:55 pm

I'll post a couple of pictures of it when I can. (I don't have a way to connect the camera to this tablet.)There's nothing that would rub him, unless he was doing it deliberately. He has a lot of room in there. I put some pear tree branches in his habitat, but I either froze them first or immersed them in the tub with a touch of bleach. So I don't suspect parasites. I just noticed that when I emptied the little crocheted basket out to get his picture that there was a lot of nut dust. Maybe it makes him itch? Hopefully it's just a molt. But I'd like to be sure. One bald spot is the size of the end of my little finger! It's just skin. Does that sound right?
Rowdy's friend

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:25 pm

it's not a good picture of the size of it. what looks like a white triangle is part of it. it's much bigger than it looks in the pic.
Attachments
S1052704.JPG
S1052704.JPG (2.45 MiB) Viewed 10123 times
Last edited by pattis on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rowdy's friend

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:28 pm

this shows another spot or two. shows accurate size on these ones. but is blurry. poor baby... i hate hitting him with a flash.
Attachments
S1052702.JPG
S1052702.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 10123 times
Rowdy's friend

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:46 pm

That doesn't look like any molt I've even seen. Is that a ring of white hair? I've only seen white hair some in with an injury. One area looks almost raw. I'd have a vet check him if I was you. I'll ask the ER team to take a look and post.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Anne27
Baby Flyer

Postby Anne27 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:23 pm

That's not molt, does look like some type of injury or a bite. I doesn't appear to be in a place that he can reach, wish the picture was clearer to see. He looks to be down to his undercoat in that one(side)area. I can't see if that's a scab in the center. Hoping I can come back with some help.

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:52 pm

His fur is not white there. That's his skin. Bald right there. No scab and no injury. I'll try to photograph it again.
Rowdy's friend

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby DinNorman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:14 pm

I think he is pulling/grooming the spot bald, due to some stimulation or irritation. Perhaps the moult started it. Some animals do moult weirdly but that doesnt look like moult. It may self-correctl. Try to notice if he grooms that area incessantly; if he is put some bitter apple (commercially available bitter lick deterrant) on it.
David

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:52 pm

I'm posting a few better pictures of his baldness. His skin is a little pink and irritated. I don't ever see him grooming. And there is no area in his habitat that he seems to be pulling the fur out. I've gone over his whole place with a flashlight. I've taken out every tent, pouch, hammock, basket, box and examined them for tufts of fur or even stray hairs. There wasn't many. Most of the hairs i have found were on the floor spread fairly evenly. Or on the fencing, again, spread evenly enough to know that it's not one spot. Anne27 said that she believes it is dry skin, I'm leaning toward that idea. She said to give him black sunflower seeds, baked chicken wings, avocado, and wax worms. I've taken out all of the other feed that I give him and those things in there for a while. I will keep you all informed with his progress. I truly appreciate all your help.
Attachments
S1052710.JPG
S1052710.JPG (2.46 MiB) Viewed 10102 times
S1052708.JPG
S1052708.JPG (2.46 MiB) Viewed 10102 times
Rowdy's friend

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:56 pm

In case you're wondering. Those last two pictures are of 2 different spots. I slightly stretched his skin so it could be seen.
Rowdy's friend

Anne27
Baby Flyer

Postby Anne27 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Don't take any of his fresh veggies away, the oily sunflower seeds can be given everyday, the the chicken wings and waxworms just given every three days or so. He needs those fresh veggies for the good vitamins and minerals they contain. Just feed very limited nuts and seeds.Also make use he is getting adequate Calcium and mushroom caps for his Vitamin D3 needs. We don't want to change dry skin for MBD!

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:23 pm

I believe the cause of the bald spots were the multi-vitamins I gave him. It has not occurred since I stopped giving them to him. For your information it was "vita-sol" multivitamins for hamsters and gerbils... The high potency 8 in 1.
Last edited by pattis on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rowdy's friend

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:29 pm

pattis wrote:I believe the cause of the bald spots were the multi-vitamons I gave him. It has not occurred since I stopped giving them to him. For your information it was "vita-sol" multivitamins for hamsters and gerbils... The high potency 8 in 1.

This is good to know. I quit giving vitamins to Chuck several years ago and rely on food variety. Dr. Cooley felt we might be over doing our suppliments.

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:25 am

I thought I should do a follow up on this. That stiff fur and bald spots have never returned. I feel positive it was the vitamins that he was reacting to. He's been soft and shiny ever since! I am so thankful to have this site! Thank you! Thank you!
Rowdy's friend

Return to “General”