Reaction to Raw Meat

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
mrchewy
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Reaction to Raw Meat

Postby mrchewy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:05 am

Has anyone ever had their flyer absolutely freak out when they smell raw meat(specifically beef)? The first time this happened, I made hamburgers, washed my hands, and went to pick up Chewy. He did a "dr jekyll mr hyde" and tried to attack me (not bite) as if he was about to be eaten by a hawk or something. I screamed and ran (he chased!) because he has NEVER shown this behavior. I figured out it must have been the meat on my hands so I went and washed them multiple times. I came back to pick him up and he was completely normal.

I was curious if it was the meat so the next time I used raw meat, I went to pick him up and before I could even get to his nest, he came running out trying to attack "me". I washed my hands repeatedly, and his was completely normal. I have to say, it is actually quite funny to see him like this, but terrifying as well as he has actually run up my leg to "defeat" this threat he smelled.

Funny little creatures!

Natalie

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: Reaction to Raw Meat

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Natalie, I can honestly say I've never had that happen, and Jack "oversees" me cooking almost every night!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Flyers eat raw meat .. insects & birds plus they have a wild animal's sense of smell. I'd wash my hands thoroughly before he takes a liking to human meat! :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Nativeprincess » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Ya'ya will do that to me after a shower or after I use a scented soap. It drives me nuts but she gets incredibly aggressive when i don't smell like "me"

Return to “General”