Pee and Poop behavior and amount

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
Sailor_Orbit
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Pee and Poop behavior and amount

Postby Sailor_Orbit » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:52 am

Sorry if this has all ready been spoken about. If it is please refer me to the link because I was not able to find the things I needed for my questions.

I am new to flying squirrel concepts all together. So I would like to do quite a bit of research before deciding whether to have one or not. I hoping to talk myself out of it, however if it has some ideal behaviors then it would be extremely tempting.

1) Are flying squirrels poop machines? Like poops everywhere, poops all the time, poops on you, poops while walking, poops while gliding. just basically are they poop machines? Like Chinchillas they are definitely poop machines and cannot be poop trained. Pee trained is more likely however 95% no to poop training. Which a lot of pet stores fail to mention. Even breeders fail to mention it as well. So this would be my main concern. Do they poop a lot and make a big mess on the floor? Do they pee everywhere? Can the area outside the cage remain neat? or would there be fecal matter all over the place? Or pee outside of the cage?

2) Are they sensitive to humidity, heat, or cold? I do have an AC unit, however I don't want to freak out thinking about the temperature while I am away at work. Even though I have a thermostat, sometimes my parents only allow the temperature go to 80-85 for AC, even if I try to program it to 75 F

3) do they need dust baths or any specific cleaning regimen? do they need to have their nails trimmed? Do they shed a lot? Do they lose fur when they are scared? like have bald spots in case they get scared when you handle them.

4) when having them on you outside of the cage with your pouch. Do you need to supervise them with 100% attention, or could you watch tv with them? Or just hang out in the room? Because I know chinchillas must be fully supervised if it's not a completely chinchilla proof room. So I am wondering could you put like 25% awareness while watching tv, or must you pay attention to their every move. please give me an estimate (guessing estimate). Do you need to be in a completely flying squirrel proof room? (no wires and what not) or could you have them with you in your normal activities, with a bit of supervision?

5) I know in Rhode Island flying squirrels are a legal pet however does anyone know if you have to get a permit or license to own them? I looked into the site where they listed the animals however I didn't see any mention of them. I think it's a very unusual pet. I tried calling them but I am only getting their mail box.

6) Do they need routine veterinary care? any vaccinations?

7) are there any breeders near RI? where could I find the white/grey flying squirrels?

Any specifics would help me greatly. Please let me know. Like I said I am only researching so far.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: Pee and Poop behavior and amount

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:36 am

I can't answer all your questions, but I can try.

1) Their poop is smaller than a grain of rice. Every flyer is different. My Jack poops all over the place, but only pees in one certain place. My Zooey does it all when I first get her out, so I hold her in a paper towel until she's done, then she can go play. (She poops about 30 pellets a day) If you get a baby flyer, you can train them to go in a certain area, but by no means are they stinky or messy. I have a dustbuster and it takes about 10 minutes to clean it up. Yes, they can pee and poop outside the cage, but again it's not a huge mess. As long as you stay on top of things, it will remain clean.

2) They don't like cold, I do know that. Otherwise, I haven't had any problems with mine as far as heat/cold/humidity go.

3) They clean themselves. No baths needed. As long as you keep a branch from a tree and a mineral block, that will keep their nails and teeth ground down. (the teeth are important to keep ground down). They go through a molt, depends on the flyer as to how often. They shed, but again because they are tiny creatures, it's not even noticeable.

4) When you are first bonding with your flyer, it is important to keep a watch on them 95%. Once you figure out their routine, their likes and dislikes, as long as you keep an eye on them they'll be fine. You can watch tv while they are in your pouch. Before I let my flyers out, I check all the toilets and any other places that could hold water. Then I check on them (and the water places) once every 30 minutes. But usually when I'm watching tv or cooking or whatnot, they come check on me, not the other way around. It's almost like having a small toddler.

6) They only need vet care if there is something wrong with them, it's a good idea to find one that will treat a flyer, and let them meet the flyer while it's healthy. No vaccinations.

I don't have any RI specific answers for you, I live down south! But it's good that you are doing your research. Flyers are similar to dogs, only smaller! Jack will come when I call him. They each have their own little personality. I've had dogs, cats, but since having flyers I wouldn't have anything else. Again, much like having a child, they are a big responsibility. They need their out of cage time, they have to be fed and watered every day, so they truly cannot be ignored.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck on your quest!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Sailor_Orbit

Postby Sailor_Orbit » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:50 am

Thank you for your help.

more detailing about the poop stuff. does the poop mess stay within the cage (when they are in the cage) or does the poop fly outside of the cage and onto the floor frequently? I know chinchillas makes a big mess outside of the cage even if they are inside of the cage. Cuz chinchillas poop so much that the poop flings outside of the cage haha. so I am wondering if it's the same case with the squirrels?

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:18 am

Not at all. I keep their cage on a small rug (like one you'd put in front of the kitchen sink) and there may be 3 or 4 pieces outside of the rug, and not much more on the rug. So most of the mess stays within the cage. They are the cleanest animals I have ever owned. My husband is an OCD neat freak, so he wouldn't have something that was too messy.
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Their poop dries up quickly and can we swept up or vacuumed. It's like mouse poof. Only time it is messy is if they pee on top of it ... then it can stick to whatever it's on. They usually pick a spot in the cage to eliminate and you can put a folder paper towel there. Put a clean one over the old do the scent is there. Males can hang on the side of the cage and pee out; so the rug under the cage is a good idea.

Southern Flyers are now living in part of Southern Canada ... so don't worry about cold. They adjust, but I will admit if they live in A/S, they do not like hot & humid. LOL

Your flyer will try to groom you! There is nothing so embarrasing as a member of the rodent family questioning your hygiene! :oops:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Sailor_Orbit

Postby Sailor_Orbit » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:21 pm

Could they be potty trained? like not constantly poop and pee outside of their cage? Could they poop and pee in one corner of the cage?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:40 pm

They usually pick a place in the cage and you can put paper towels there.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “General”