One squirrel or two?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
amrami
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

One squirrel or two?

Postby amrami » Sun May 25, 2014 5:57 pm

I got my first flying squirrel a year ago but I lost him at the end of January. Long story short he got out of his cage one night and decided to snuggle next to me... well you can guess what happened next.
I want to eventually get another squirrel but this time around I think i'd like two so they can have someone their own size to snuggle and play with. My question is should I get two at the same time or get one and wait a year or two to get another? I've gone back and forth on it and i'd really like to here other opinions.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: One squirrel or two?

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sun May 25, 2014 6:15 pm

My opinion is to get two at the same time. That way they were probably born together and you won't have to worry about them getting along as much.
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Re: One squirrel or two?

Postby Joan » Sun May 25, 2014 11:06 pm

I always recommend having one alone for close to a year if you want a strong bond to you ... otherwise they will bond more to each other. The second will likely bond more to the first than with you anyway. Flyers are not like sugar gliders who need to be kept in at least pairs. Flyers are happy with their human if they get them trained right. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “General”