Hello all and Questions

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
kdizzlebalch
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Hello all and Questions

Postby kdizzlebalch » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:01 pm

Hello my name is Kristen I am a new fs mom to a little girl named bitty loo ( :multi: kids named her :multi: ) she is a treat super calm and docile, very accepting of love. no bites and we are on week two of ownerhsip yay. I do seem to have a pretty picky eater. so far i know she loves rosehips walnuts and pine nuts. she wont eat broccoli, mushroom, avacado ,squash, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. I'll keep offering it though. Looking into the henry blocks so my worry wart self can focus less on making sure i have all the right nutrients and just know that i am giving her healthy treats she loves with food that has the proper nutrient ratio. luckily i got rosehips coming out of my ears on my bush outside. we also have two pecan trees int he yard so woohoo. I am not positive of her age. I am assuming 10/12 weeks she is about the length of my finger not including tail, whiskers, bushy tail, her teeth are light colored. She does also get as much esbilac as she wants which runs about 5 cc a day give or take. my question atm is mostly about noises. do squirrels sneeze? is this a worry or is she like grunting while she bed fluffs. also sometimes she will sit and stare at me and then like chomp her mouth and puff her cheek up is that playful? she doesn't move or jump but she also doesn't shy away from me if i go to pet her during that noise. She also sleeps A LOT like i get maybe an hour in the early morning with her maybe a half hour around lunch time and then maybe an hour and a half around 11 at night. Is this because she is young. Anywho thank you for all the info and help. I have been reading #ALLTHETHREADS and have gleamed lots of info.

P.S Nail clipping. Do i have to? tips for newbie? I have a five foot potted lemon tree and a few banana potted trees can I add them to her habitat/room. will she eat my lemon tree branches will actual tree climbing solve the nail issue?? She is currently in a small cage inside of a specific fs room will upgrade cage as she grows, she isn't even jumping or hopping yet. she did one mini jump from my sternum to lap the other day but it was more out of necessity than fun I think.

kdizzlebalch

Re: Hello all and Questions

Postby kdizzlebalch » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:26 pm

IMG_20171014_063552.jpg
IMG_20171014_063552.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 98 times

IMG_20171015_202039.jpg
IMG_20171015_202039.jpg (217 KiB) Viewed 98 times

IMG_20171010_124847.jpg
IMG_20171010_124847.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 98 times

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:50 pm

kdizzlebalch wrote:... I do seem to have a pretty picky eater. so far i know she loves rosehips walnuts and pine nuts. she wont eat broccoli, mushroom, avacado ,squash, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. I'll keep offering it though.

They will love something one day and hate it the next ... also they can only eat what you offer them and like a picky child, they will not starve themselves to death. :twisted: They do need dark green leafy veggies as they have the ability to change vit D2 in this to vit D3 (Sunshine vitamin) that aids in calcium absorption. A varied diet is the answer and don't forget protein ... meal worms, moths, bits of meat you eat, eggs etc.

kdizzlebalch wrote: her teeth are light colored.

These turn more orange with age.

kdizzlebalch wrote:She does also get as much esbilac as she wants which runs about 5 cc a day give or take. my question atm is mostly about noises. do squirrels sneeze? is this a worry or is she like grunting while she bed fluffs.

They do talk in their sleep and make a varity of sounds including noiseless vibrating.

kdizzlebalch wrote:also sometimes she will sit and stare at me and then like chomp her mouth and puff her cheek up is that playful?

The speak ultrasonically at times moving the mouth and throat, but you can't hear what they are saying.

kdizzlebalch wrote: She also sleeps A LOT like i get maybe an hour in the early morning with her maybe a half hour around lunch time and then [maybe an hour and a half around 11 at night. Is this because she is young.

Yes. When she gets older she'll like be up more until the nocturnal clock kicks in and then she'll sleep all day and be up at night, but still taking naps off and on during the night.

kdizzlebalch wrote:P.S Nail clipping. Do i have to? tips for newbie?

Pups nails are VERY sharp. If you have branches for her to climb and some folks put a rough, flat stone under the food tray she will trim her nails.
I never trimmed my flyer's nail in 15 years, but search nail trimming and see what others have experienced.

kdizzlebalch wrote:... will she eat my lemon tree branches

Maybe, but don't worry she won't eat it if it's harmful for her

kdizzlebalch wrote:...will actual tree climbing solve the nail issue??

It can
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:51 pm

Adorable pictures :multi:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “General”