What am I doing wrong?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
kdizzlebalch
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

What am I doing wrong?

Postby kdizzlebalch » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:08 pm

So We are on week three. I play with bitty between 1 and 2 hours a day. generally cuddle time in the morning, and play hour at night. I had planned on more but a family emergency has risen that limits me from getting afternoon time in. At night she has been shy but somewhat playful a few times she has blessed me with hopping on me burrowing in my shirt and chirping at me. normally she gets kinda skittish once out of her cage and in her room which is only idk . 2 and a half feet wide and seven feet long. it is a small sun room off my living room not too big. Tonight though i opened her cage and sat and talked with her like normal. then i put my hand in her cage like normal she will usually run up it and out into the room, she came up to me sniffed me looked me dead in the eyes and gently bit me. the did this weird body pump push up looking move. i closed the cage, Then to test i got closer to her cage talking to her and grabbed a little finger sized branch and moved it closer to the cage and she tried to bite it through the bars. This is all new behavior to me and breaks my heart. I have spent so much time being patient and bonding and this feels like two huge steps back. I am not sure of age When i got her I assume she was 7/9 weeks old. so i'm assuming she is 10/12 weeks old now( her teeth are not yellow yet more bone/off white colored). I even stopped toweling her to pick her up to return her to her cage about 5 days ago because it felt traumatic and now i endure half hour coaxing sessions when i want to go to bed. WWHHHYYY doesn't she love me :doubt: #-o . lol seriously though .

kdizzlebalch

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Postby kdizzlebalch » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:09 pm

She has never layed her teeth on anyone before.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:39 am

kdizzlebalch wrote:She has never layed her teeth on anyone before.

Just like many young animals, flyers are taught how hard they can bite by mama and siblings. Setting the limits is important to teach what is not allowed. The "NO!" is a good start along with blowing on him. Progress to a squirt bottle if he doesn't respond to this. It might be best not to have friends hold him until you have it under control. As with any youngster, consistency is vital.
They sometimes react this way to new smells like hand lotions, soaps or perfumes.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

kdizzlebalch

Postby kdizzlebalch » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:59 pm

So she straight up attacked me tonight. I went in prepared with apple sauce and chicken and carrots with sweet potato all her favorites and we skipped her breakfast . I was hoping this would encourage her to hop on over to my lap and eat with me . No she chewed my shoe and i told her no, she hopped around the room some more, then straight up jumped on my knee and spazzed out biting me and scurrying around. she then charged me which i blocked with my arm and she jumped back in her cage. she could have cared less about all her favorite foods. she is now running around her cage, "sneezing" at me as I type. like wtf. I have no idea whats changed, but I am not into it.

kdizzlebalch

Postby kdizzlebalch » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:29 am

And now I can't even wear her or pet her. She has always been weird at night today was the first time she has not let me grab her pouch for morning cuddles. She took an almond from me then tried to bite me. I'm literally in tears.I don't understand what has happened or how to fix it.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:15 pm

kdizzlebalch wrote:And now I can't even wear her or pet her. She has always been weird at night today was the first time she has not let me grab her pouch for morning cuddles. She took an almond from me then tried to bite me. I'm literally in tears.I don't understand what has happened or how to fix it.

Even though she is young it's possible her hormones are kicking in. Youngest flyer I know of to have pups was 4 months old. Read this :
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9068
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “General”