Is a southern flying squirrel as a pet good for me and the fuzzy friend?

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
bluerose4342
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Is a southern flying squirrel as a pet good for me and the fuzzy friend?

Postby bluerose4342 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:23 pm

Hello there,
I've known about southern flying squirrels for a while now. I have been thinking more seriously about this, but to be honest I'm still a :n00b:
I had some questions about the little ones.
1. There's this whole trend of exotic pocket pets, where people are adopting animals that are clearly not suited for life with a human, and neither the pet nor the person is happy. Is the southern flying squirrel one of those cases?
2. I am in college right now and will live off campus this year on. Is apartment living ok for this pet?
3. Being in college also has some time constraints. I take my classes pretty seriously (or am trying to, at least), so a lot of the day time I will be studying. Is this okay for a southern flying squirrel?
4. Also, since most of my day time will be out and about on campus and at class or the library, is it possible to take the southern flying squirrel with me? I haven't read a lot of success with leads and leashes, and I don't think the squirrel will enjoy that either.

Thank you in advance!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Is a southern flying squirrel as a pet good for me and the fuzzy friend?

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:53 pm

bluerose4342 wrote: I've known about southern flying squirrels for a while now. I have been thinking more seriously about this, but to be honest I'm still a :n00b:

1. There's this whole trend of exotic pocket pets, where people are adopting animals that are clearly not suited for life with a human, and neither the pet nor the person is happy. Is the southern flying squirrel one of those cases?

That's really going to depend on both of you. There is no way to predict a flyer's adult personality.
bluerose4342 wrote: I had some questions about the little ones.

2. I am in college right now and will live off campus this year on. Is apartment living ok for this pet?

This might be better answered by HOFs who got a flyer while in college.

bluerose4342 wrote:3. Being in college also has some time constraints. I take my classes pretty seriously (or am trying to, at least), so a lot of the day time I will be studying. Is this okay for a southern flying squirrel?

Mature flyers are nocturnal. pups are not and the more time you spend with them the stronger the bonding.

bluerose4342 wrote: 4. Also, since most of my day time will be out and about on campus and at class or the library, is it possible to take the southern flying squirrel with me? I haven't read a lot of success with leads and leashes, and I don't think the squirrel will enjoy that either.

First, I would NEVER put a flyer on a lead or leash. They are basically wild animals and the best you can hope for is that they trust you. I wouldn't trust anything that kept me tied up. :twisted: I wouldn't take a flyer outside of a flyer-safe room unless you are willing to risk losing it. I was able to take my Chuck anywhere but I realize how unusual he was and I've never met another so closely bonded to a human.

bluerose4342 wrote:Thank you in advance!
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “General”