Helen's Little Critters?

Naya
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Helen's Little Critters?

Postby Naya » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:45 pm

I am planning on buying a flyer from her. I spoke with her on the phone and she was very sincere and kind. I felt relieved when she told me whole-heartedly that she hand tamed all her flyers and hand fed them till they were given new homes. Has anyone purchased a flyer from her?

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:48 am

Yes that is where I purchased my first two and they are just as sweet as can be. She also told me that they were captive bred, born and hand fed. She takes them from Mom when they are about 4-5 wks old and hand feeds them. She will not let them leave her until they have started to eat food. She also sends them when they are still on formula so you can hand feed, bond and tame them.
A lot of people do not agree on getting any from Helen's but I had a good experience with Vanette. She just seems so busy that she doesn't have time to email and such but she would talk to me on the phone forever when I could get in touch with her giving lots of info.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:00 am

:smt050 Yeah thats what she told me over the phone (the whole feeding, mom, hand raising ect).

She DID give a lot of info! She's very squirrely-smart and totally got my vote!

*Decides to purchase a flyer from her* YAY!!!

Rhiannonn2626
Flying Furball

Postby Rhiannonn2626 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:58 pm

Yeah thats where I'm planning to get mine..she loves to talk doesnt she??

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:14 pm

Rhiannonn2626 wrote:Yeah thats where I'm planning to get mine..she loves to talk doesnt she??

Yes very informative. She doesnt waste time going on and on about random topics she tells you everything you might want to know about the pet you are about to acquire. I've spoken with many breeders who go on and on about things that MAY relate to the pet I want but they just keep talking to make themselves seem more proffesional. She doesnt do that and that's what makes me trust her :love1:

BreezieGirl
Flying Furball

Postby BreezieGirl » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:10 pm

I got my squirrel from Helen's Little Critters as well. And yeah, I really liked that Venette took the time on the phone to tell me about flyers and what to expect from them. She sure is long winded though!
Jasper is very sweet and was perfectly healthy when he arrived. My first flyer came from her too, and when she accidentally died a couple months later, Venette was so kind when she heard and went out of her way to ship me another baby within a few days. I've always thought that was so sweet her. I'm forever thankful to her for sending me Jasper. Don't know what I'd do without him.
~Kaylie
Owned by Jasper

In Loving Memory of My Sweet Little Mima :smt049

Rhiannonn2626
Flying Furball

Postby Rhiannonn2626 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:52 pm

Helens little critters isnt a large scale broker like that melanie buchanon woman from brighten farms is it??

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:29 pm

After reading a lot of other peoples' posts, it seems that she isnt.

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:34 pm

Rhiannonn2626 wrote:Helens little critters isnt a large scale broker like that melanie buchanon woman from brighten farms is it??

It don't seem like she is a large scale broker. Sounds to me like she is a "large" hobby breeder.
Wanda
Owned by Shelly, Rose
And All My Lil Orphans

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:36 am

I would definately take Helen's over Brighton Farms any day. Many people have been very happy, however, I would get a pup from a hobby breeder if ever possible over Helen's. From what I've heard, they are pretty knowledgeable and caring, but one person that I know visited the facility and was not pleased. She said that it was clear that they did care about their animals, but that was not to say that all their needs were met. There were various things she was unhappy with. Now, that is just one person's experience and I don't know anyone else who has visited, but you should just be aware that they aren't the same as a regular hobby breeder. Also, considering how many species they sell, I have to doubt that they are breeding them all especially on the scale that they are selling them. I think that if I didn't have any other choice, I would definately buy from Helen's, but if I did have the option of a hobby breeder, I would be much happier going that route.
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:27 pm

I tend to agree w/ chris.
I got Rogue from Helen's and I am very happy w. her. I have no problems and Rogue is as happy and cuddely as can be.
But I did get the impression from Venette/Helen that she has ALOT of animals to take care of and while I do believe she cares a lot about them, these are not *pets* thats she is breeding,this is her business. and I question the logistics of being able to provide the care and socilization needed for ALL thoes animals.
I'd def buy from her again, but this is only because the closest hobby breeder to me is 19 hrs away ^_^, so it kinda limits my options.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:54 pm

If I am not mistaken, Helen sold "Helen's Little Critters" to Venette several years ago, and Venette just kept the same name. I have heard more good than bad about the business. I believe that she breeds some of the animals there, but not all, and I don't know which ones. Venette has enlarged the business, and now carries a wide variety of animals, as well as birds.

Most everyone has said that their flyer arrived safe, healthy and fairly tame. Although I still would recommend buying from a hobby breeder, sometimes that is not possible, for whatever reason. And Helen's seems to be better than most commercial sellers.

I have not done business with her, but probably will this spring, as I want a pair of chipmunks, and they're hard to find.

Best of luck with your flyer, wherever you get it.

Judy

Rhiannonn2626
Flying Furball

Postby Rhiannonn2626 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:17 pm

Venette told me last time we chatted that she was selling her entire bird collection, so she could devote more of her time to her "fuzzy ones" I think that was where I was sold. Unless there is a hobby breeder near *snip*???
Last edited by Rhiannonn2626 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:25 pm

Nativeprincess wrote:animals to take care of and while I do believe she cares a lot about them, these are not *pets* thats she is breeding,this is her business.

Yes I think that is true. When I got Peanut and Shelly, she said she had to got out to the barn and pull pups from their mom. I think the only human contact is then, to hand feed till HOF's get them. But they are young enough to where they tame very well.

Judy C. wrote:If I am not mistaken, Helen sold "Helen's Little Critters" to Venette several years ago, and Venette just kept the same name. Venette has enlarged the business, and now carries a wide variety of animals, as well as birds.

Yep it is just Venette now. She has a lot of unusual exotics also. You can look on the website to see what all she does have.
Wanda
Owned by Shelly, Rose
And All My Lil Orphans

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:30 pm

i went to her house where she raises her babies(along with other animals) and i saw the mommies and all the little babies that she raised, and she is reputable imo.
Kayla

Owned by:
Kiwi :smt051
Dash :silly:

squirrel guy
Baby Flyer

Postby squirrel guy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:09 pm

thats where i got cheeky my flier shes assweet as can be and iv been trying to reach her for another 1 but i cant reach her

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:29 pm

She's been pretty sick lately. The last time I chatted with her (a month ago) she was suffering from a stomach ulcer and was looking for treatment which may explain her absence.

BeastieBoy829
Baby Flyer

Postby BeastieBoy829 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:56 pm

Yeah, I was planning on buying a flyer from her, so positive feedback is always good to hear
I love flying squirrels. Woo-Hoo!!! Hopefully a soon to be HOF

fadedlyric
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Helen's Little Critters?

Postby fadedlyric » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:33 pm

I got Kaylee from Helen's, and I had a great experience with them. She was a little out of touch, but I think she's just busy...but Kaylee is wonderful, was obviously cared for, and the employees (there's Venette and another woman, I think) clearly know their stuff. I went to her because of a recommendation from a friend who purchased his baby from her eight years ago.

flyer_1
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Helen's Little Critters?

Postby flyer_1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:15 pm

Vennete owns the place now, just in case you didn't know, she bought it from Helen and has been doing the whole squirrel thing wonderfully since than.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Return to “Selecting A Breeder”