88 Pet World- Review

lamboforme25
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

88 Pet World- Review

Postby lamboforme25 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Good evening everyone, I was wondering if anyone has heard of the store "88 Pet World" in Brick, New Jersey? They sell Southern Flying Squirrels and its the only place I have found that sells them in the Northeast. Anyone have any experience with their store and the quality of squirrels they sell?

Joan
Site Admin

Re: 88 Pet World- Review

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:11 am

If this used to be Pete's Pets run by a guy named Colin Clauss , it's a great place. See if Colin is supplying the flyers to it now.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:23 am

Hello!

I live in the northeast as well (PA), and though I don't know anything about the store you mentioned, if it helps, this is the breeder I went through:

http://www.keystoneexotics.com/

The owner's name is Mike, and he's very good. He is great about returning calls and answering all questions, even after you have purchased and taken the flier home. He's also USDA certified and state licensed. He knows his exotics, and will only give you the flier a few weeks after it's born (right when it's still a baby and perfect for bonding, but after it has been mostly weaned from its mother). This way you don't have to worry about getting an older flier that may be harder to bond.

I had a great experience with him, if you're looking for places to get southerns in the northeast area.

lamboforme25
Baby Flyer

Postby lamboforme25 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Both outstanding information. On this forum I never seemed to find information about that particular pet store or about individuals in the northeast that do breed and deal with Southern Flying Squirrels. So I applaud you both for your great answers, thank you. If anyone has anything to say about either comment or my question then keep it coming!

Cams

Postby Cams » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:15 pm

It's a little late to post about this but I may as well share my experience. I got my southern flyer April from a pet store in Brick NJ. It was not 88 pet world or Pete's-- it was called fins feathers and furs. I spent a long time researching breeders and stores. I talked to the breeder for the store over the phone and I was really impressed. Then everything went downhill.

I gave them a deposit for her and planned to pick her up in January. Then their phone was disconnected. They didn't respond to emails. I had to call a nearby pizza place and ask if there really was a pet store there! I even found a guy on facebook who works there and begged him to have the pet store contact me. The better business bureau had never heard of the place. I was freaking out because I gave them $150 and I thought it must be a scam. I sent my hopes to pick her up on a certain day and they responded finally. I demanded a phone number and they gave me one (after weeks of not answering once again) and I drove down there (2 hrs) on faith that someone would be at the store. It was empty and closed. I called the number--no answer. Half the day passes with me sitting in my car in front of this place! Finally someone gets back to me, promises to meet me. A very grumpy woman shows up and tells me the store is moving and the number I now had was for the new location. I get April (I love her!) and leave quickly.

I see later my April has only half of her left ear. I don't know if it was ripped or if she was born that way. I call to see if they know how it happened-- THE NEW PHONE IS DISCONNECTED! The website is useless and they have yet to respond to my emails. That was last year. I got April when she was supposedly 11 weeks old which is a little late for bonding. Still, she acts as though she were traumatized. After all this time, she still occasionally gets very frightened and refuses to allow people to pick her up in any way except when she is very sleepy. She is not as trusting and sweet as many of the squirrels described on this forum. I don't know if that is because I got her so late or because she wasn't treated well at the store.

Needless to say, I dislike Brick NJ. Hopefully those other breeders in NJ are more reliable.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:41 am

Cams, this feedback is good for anyone thinking about Brick. Unfortunately, there are many "breeders" like you have described. Your little girl may not be bonded as you you hoped, but thank goodness she is with you now. You might try contacting Colin ellie718@aol.com to see if he still breeds or where you might get a pup close-by.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Selecting A Breeder”