Sounds

USMom
Juvie Pup

Sounds

Postby USMom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:39 pm

What kind of sounds does a SFS make, and what do they mean?

Deb
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Deb » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:41 am

most flyers are pretty quiet most of the time. Some are more vocal than others. They chirp and can also make a loud high pitched call that they will sometimes do repeatedly. Of My 4 adults, it is mostly just some chattering and chirpping while they play together. Occassionaly one will do the loud call for a few minutes just to get some attention I think.
In the wild, flyers sound like some kind of small birds chirping in the trees at night.
As a rule, the vocalizing that 2 or more flyers make during the night is not enough to keep the average person awake. But a single flyer who thinks his HOF should be awake to entertain him, knows what call will make a human sit bolt upright in bed from a sound sleep :twisted:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

LaurenLovesFlyers
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby LaurenLovesFlyers » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:58 pm

are sounds that dead on sound like a cricket normal?
-Lauren-

Rest in peace Fidget, your mommy loves you dearly.

HOF to the bi-polar little boy Bandit <3

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:01 am

Pistol always sounds like a cricket chirping whereas Martie has a louder pitch and call.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Boss is the noisiest little thing you'll ever meet. He SCREAMS his head off that kind of pierces your ear. Then sometimes he makes chirping sounds. Then those hissy SSTT STT sounds. Flyers can be really chatty.

Tails

Postby Tails » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:53 pm

Does anyone have any idea what the different sounds mean? My girl was sleeping in the bonding pouch today and out of the blue she started chirping like a little bird for a few seconds. I've only had her for a few days now and this is the first time I know for a fact that it was her making noise. Last night was the first night she really started coming out of her pouch and checking out everything in her cage (she was having a ball climbing on everything and playing with her toys (and trying to figure out what the wheel was for, lol). Last night when she was checking out her cage she didn't seem to mind me moving around in the room or shifting in my spot while i was reading. She'd just look up at me then go back to what she was doing. I guess what I'm wondering is is she starting to be a little more comfortable where she is, and starting to talk?
~Tails

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:58 am

Tails wrote:Does anyone have any idea what the different sounds mean? My girl was sleeping in the bonding pouch today and out of the blue she started chirping like a little bird for a few seconds. I've only had her for a few days now and this is the first time I know for a fact that it was her making noise. Last night was the first night she really started coming out of her pouch and checking out everything in her cage (she was having a ball climbing on everything and playing with her toys (and trying to figure out what the wheel was for, lol). Last night when she was checking out her cage she didn't seem to mind me moving around in the room or shifting in my spot while i was reading. She'd just look up at me then go back to what she was doing. I guess what I'm wondering is is she starting to be a little more comfortable where she is, and starting to talk?

Chipper makes those sounds when he is really happy. It scared me at first, but that is what Joan told me and after that I noticed she was right. When he is out of his cage having fun, he'll make that sound or after I give him a favorite treat.
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Squirrel Freak
Juvie Pup

Re: Sounds

Postby Squirrel Freak » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:15 pm

I found this media player online with ten different flying squirrel sounds... check it out.
http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Jerboa_Sounds_music.aspx
Kaneesh & Albrie

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Pretty Cool. I recognize the ones that Chipper and Cali make. The others are sounds I hear outside at night along with the ones I am familiar with. Thanks for finding the site and sharing. :o
Martie.....

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Squirrel Freak wrote:I found this media player online with ten different flying squirrel sounds... check it out.
http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Jerboa_Sounds_music.aspx

A lot of those sound like sugar gliders. Here's a couple more recordings of flyer sounds: Alarm call of a Southern flying squirrel and Northern flying squirrel distress call: http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/Audio/index.html
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Squirrel Freak
Juvie Pup

Postby Squirrel Freak » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:03 pm

Joan wrote:A lot of those sound like sugar gliders.

Yeah... I thought the same thing - # 2 3 4 5 & 8 sound like gliders to me, but I think the other half sound like squirrels.
Kaneesh & Albrie

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Oh yeah, we have sound effects! In particular, Boeing HATES the sound of our telephone ringer, and will screech for a half-hour or more if we don't pick up after one full ring. Then he gets all the girls to either join him or run for the nest box because he says they should be scared. My son found a way to change the ringtone to a musical phrase, and that solved the problem. For about two weeks! Now, he's back to his sit-on-a-branch-and-make-everyone-crazy-with-these-incessant-screams habits. Gotta love 'em!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:41 am

So whenever it sounds like MJ is sneezing at me, she's chirping? Is it just a sound or is she really just happy when she makes it? Because MJ tends to chirp whether she's just gotten through munching on a piece of pecan or huddling in the corner of the bathroom.

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:03 am

Keg wrote:So whenever it sounds like MJ is sneezing at me, she's chirping? Is it just a sound or is she really just happy when she makes it? Because MJ tends to chirp whether she's just gotten through munching on a piece of pecan or huddling in the corner of the bathroom.

Whenever Chip or Cali make a sound like sneezing it is more like hissing and spitting. They do it when I do something that displeases them of if it is the wrong kind of food I've brought for supper. They also make the same sound and do it into their paws as they are grooming themselves. So, that's why I think it is spitting. When they are happy they make a different sound and it is more like happy chirpy sounds. I've heard Cali make a sound like a bark and Chipper squeals, squables and chirps when Cali is chasing him. Kind of like cusing her out while he's running. When they want attention (especially Cali) they start chirping load and then it becomes an all out scream if I don't respond fast enought. Then there is the high pitch whistle they make when there is a cat in the room which is usually followed with ultrasonic sounds because it looks like they are having the hicups. When they are happily sleeping away and are having wonderful squirrely dreams they both make the cutest cooing chips in their nest boxes. Those are the sounds that I hear and have figured out with my little furballs and yes they are a ton of fun to be around. I never knew such little creatures could have such personalities and would bring such joy and laughter into my life. :D
Martie.....

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:22 pm

So MJ is hissing/spitting at me? :? MJ's got sass!

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:28 pm

Kobie doesn't make a hole lot of noise, mostly bat noises,a squeek here and there,should she be making more noise when she's happy? I have noticed that sometimes when I give her a treat or when she sees me she will squeek.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:20 pm

flyer_1 wrote:Kobie doesn't make a hole lot of noise, mostly bat noises,a squeek here and there,should she be making more noise when she's happy? I have noticed that sometimes when I give her a treat or when she sees me she will squeek.

Chipper was very quiet when he was little. I used to only hear him when he was sleeping and he made sweet little chirps. Then one day he was running along the back of my bed aned me made this shrill followed by all kind of chirping. He had discovered he had an outer voice! Since then he has developed quite a vocabulary. Cali is quiet for the most part. She will call out when she thinks it is time to come out of the cage for play time and when she thinks there is danger about. Every once in a while I'll here her make sweet chirps in her nest box. Chip is the vocal one. He has something to say about most everything when he is out. He does give me a "Thank You" chirp/sqeak when I give him a treat. When he wants Cali to chase him he will run up as close as he can to her and let out a load high pitch shriek and off he runs with her behind him. I notice that Cali seems to do most of her talking via ultrasonic. :wink:
Martie.....

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:39 am

Chippy and Cali or so funny, :D but do you have any problems with them being to close to each other and not you and do they sleep in the same cage. The reason I ask this is because this fall we are going to be getting another flyer, maybe a boy and I want to know what I'm in for. :(

R.I.P Taz

Tigershark08
NFSA Member

Postby Tigershark08 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:48 am

I haven't heard Mako make a sound yet.... I think I will enjoy the silence while I can :twisted:
Heather Elise

Owned by Mako
Also slave to Kailea and Jackson

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:01 pm

flyer_1 wrote:Chippy and Cali or so funny, :D but do you have any problems with them being to close to each other and not you and do they sleep in the same cage. The reason I ask this is because this fall we are going to be getting another flyer, maybe a boy and I want to know what I'm in for. :(

It is suggested that you wait a year before introducing a new flyer so that your bond will be strong. Cali was 3 years old when I got her. She came into Chipper's bedroom (our master bedroom) and claimed me and half of everything in it! Chipper has one half and she has the other. They have seperate cages one in each half of the room. Cali will not allow Chipper in her cage, but she won't hesitate to ransake his cage and steal from his nut stashes. When I stand in the middle of their boundries, I get splatted by both from either direction and a chase happens on their HOF tree to see who's going to keep me. It is usually, all the time, Cali who wins the prize. When they are out to play, they are both out at the same time. I let them free range at night and by morning they are both back in their one cages an sleeping in their nest boxes. They do go in and out of their cages for food, to stash nuts, and to run in their Stealth wheels. :D
Martie.....

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:13 pm

What if you have them in different cages and have them out for play time at different times, I know my mom wants us to get another one. I didn't think it took that long to bond. #-o

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:43 pm

The longer you are with a flyer, the closer the bond. The younger the flyer, the more it will bond to a new flyer rather than to a HOF.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:47 pm

Okay I guess it does make sense,and you guys would know best,I mite wait a while, thanks.

R.I.P Taz

Return to “Meet the SFS”