are flying sqirrels really that great of pets?

daregan

are flying sqirrels really that great of pets?

Postby daregan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:59 pm

I have been wanting a sugar glider for a while now and did loads of research and found out they only do good in pairs..=[

sadly I want 1 of whatever animal im getting not pairs and I heard flyers do very well alone.
now my question is

are they really that great of pets? for instance a sugar glider bonds *EXTREME* to their owner ALWAYS wanting to be on or with them never bite if bonded and are very loving creatures. (I DO NOT CARE HOW HARD AN ANIMAL IS TO TAKE CARE OF *please do not compare them by that I know flyers are easier*)

from what I have seen on flyers is they run around alot not really caring to stay on the owner and I have been reading ALOT on biting problems like even if they are bonded they still bite and are skidish and run from you.

I have seen sugar gliders go outside unrestricted with their owners and just stay atached to them because they are so bonded taking them everywhere they go including shopping and things like that. I have never seen this done with a flyer and starting to think it cant be done?

SOOO to end this are flyers really as sweet and bonding as people say they are? it seems to me more like they just tolerate their owner..=[ unlike a sugar glider which can litterally LOVE its owner

can you get flying squirrels to go places with you without taking off at any sight of escape? I would get a glider and want to but I highly prefer a single pet over a pair and they just dont do well. so what makes flyers so great?

thank you very much :)

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: are flying sqirrels really that great of pets?

Postby Joan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:11 pm

We have folks who have both on this board;so I'll let them speak to their experiences. Flyers are undomesticated animals and basically "wild" in nature. I have an extremely well bonded male who will go anywhere with me, but I would never take him out at night when he really comes alive. Taking a flyer out of the house is always a risk as they may decide to return to the wild even though bonded.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

daregan

Postby daregan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:46 pm

well can you at least give me some information or anyone for that matter please?

1 do thet bite? how oftwn?

2 are they always just crazy at night?

3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiYNCUXKAy0
look at this video can anyone honestly say I squirrel can bond this good? (video has clips of glider playing outside and he has other videos of his glider running around on his car at night and jumping back to him

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby toiveajattelu » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:08 pm

It is possible to be both bonded and wild. Flying squirrels are both. Mine is very bonded to me, comes when I make a certain noise, and loves to sleep in my shirt. I never bring her outside the house during the day unless I also have a travel cage I can put her in if she gets really excited...I have her with me at work at this very moment, and she is sleeping in my bra, but I also have a cage with me just in case. I don't think it would be wise to let a flying squirrel run loose outside, because they are so A)fast and B)curious about everything that you might have a lot of trouble getting it back if it went up a tree. She never bites, although she will give me a playful nibble sometimes to let me know she wants something to chew on. Flying squirrels can get grumpy though, so yes, bites do happen.

jvillereptile
Juvie Pup

Postby jvillereptile » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:35 pm

they both bonded well to their human owners. sugar gliders can be kept alone if you plan to play with it everyday. if not a pair is required. a single glider usually stress out and dies.
sugar glider make a loud screaming noise when startled, they musk all over the place and their claws are horrible and need to be trimmed constantly
flying squirrels make a chirping noise which can get annoying but not as bad as a gliders, the urine Oder is controlled by their diet and doesn't smell half as bad as a gliders and their claws aren't that bad compared to a glider. Ive seen fliers and glider act just about the same when they are fully bonded to you. my fliers don't want to leave my line of sight with them and if i move they come chasing me. a few gliders i known would do the same. i worked with gliders before i got my first flier and have seen a glider go insane and die because it was alone. and came to me to late to help it.

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball

Postby toiveajattelu » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:23 pm

I read through the comments on the sugar glider video, and the owner says that he would not recommend taking sugar gliders outside to anyone else. He has to keep very close tabs on them and always carries bait in case they get too far away.

daregan

Postby daregan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:53 pm

yes but even so I bet you cant do that with a flyer =[ =]

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:48 pm

You're right - you can't. I think you would be very disappointed with a flying squirrel as a pet.

Judy C.

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:55 pm

I agree with you Judy. Flyers are not for everyone. It takes a lot of dedication and care for these little guys. I never thought I would love one like I do, but when I even have to be away one night I am missing my little ones. Chipper will hold on to me and not let go when I get home. Becoming and HOF is a very serious commitment. The happiness, comfort, and safety of my flyers comes first. I know of so many on this board who have taken painstaking measures to learn about sfs and their needs. It's the responsible thing to do.
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

daregan

Postby daregan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:40 pm

are they always hyper? do they ever sit still on you lol? like in your hand?

even though people say it cant be done im going to push the limits and bond mine like no1 has ever seen haha

btw I have actually done ALOT of research on these little guys!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:53 pm

[quote="daregan"]are they always hyper?

Yes, that's their nature.

do they ever sit still on you lol? like in your hand?

Not if they can help it. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Ardilla
NFSA Member

Postby Ardilla » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:59 pm

I have to agree with Just C...I don't think a flyer is the right pet for you.

I also think you have very high expectations for a sugar glider and would also be disappointed by one. I have never heard of people regularly taking gliders outdoors like that. Are some able to do it on occasion? sure. But not regularly.
Image Image Image

daregan

Postby daregan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:07 pm

I think it is the right pet I will just have to see what they are like when I get one for myself

please done think im going to reject it if its not my type of pet IM NOT LIKE THAT...

I will work with it

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:23 am

OK - here is the rundown on having a flyer as a pet. When you first get one, it is a baby. It may still be on formula, or it may have been totally weaned. At any rate, it will spend most of it's awake time on you, probably in your shirt. It will be the cutest thing you have ever seen in your whole life, and as soft as a cloud. As it gets older, it will start venturing away from you - not far, at first - just onto the chair back or computer table or wherever you spend your time with it. Your flyer will love taking treats from your hand - pecan pieces, a cheerio, a bit of apple. And he/she will snuggle down in your shirt and sleep for hours. All this time, he will be growing, and finding out what it means to be a flyer. This is not something you, or another squirrel, will have to teach him.....it is instinct, born into him because he is a wild animal, a flying squirrel. He will stop wanting to play during the daytime, and want to stay up and play all night. He will spend a lot of time fixing his nest just like he wants it, and where he wants it. (They always need more than one choice of nesting pouches or boxes.) He will discover favorite spots for stashing food - mostly nuts, if you're lucky. (If he stashes enough apples for a long enough time, your home will begin to smell like a brewery, as they will ferment!)

He will also be doing a lot more exploring when you have him out. He will find nooks and crannies that you never dreamed existed in your house. Of course, you will already have flyer-proofed the rooms he is allowed into, but he will most likely teach you a few places that you forgot. Keep the toilet seat down at all times, cover any aquarium or fish bowl, make sure he can't get into the vase of flowers, or a bowl or any container of liquid, and keep the chocolate under lock and key! Your flyer will want to be up as high as he can get. The top of your drapes or curtains, your bookshelves, etc., will become his favorite places. Anything will become fair game for chewing - wires, furniture, cabinets, books. And a closet is a flyer's Disneyland, full of shoes to chew, pockets to hide in, sweaters to chew up and add to his nest. He will still love you, and use you as a tree to jump to or from, and occasionally will shirt dive and take a short nap. As time goes by, he will become more and more independent, and will develope quite a sense of humor. Well, he'll think it's funny, anyhow! You may not appreciate the humor in calling your flyer's name and searching high and low for him for hours, only to finally find him sitting on top of the bookcase with a smirk on his face, watching his human go crazy!

As time goes by, he or she will reach maturity, breeding season will come around, and your sweet little ball of fluff will become an unpredictable maniac. Offer him a nice piece of pecan as a treat, and he may bypass that and go for a finger. He may bite once, or he may become a furry piranha and leave your whole hand bleeding before you even know what has happened. If he doesn't agree with your idea of bedtime, he may make his feelings known with a little nip. Eventually breeding season will end, and your normal flyer will return once more - until the next breeding season!

Always remember, your furry friend is, first and foremost, a wild animal. When he is hurt, or scared, or just in a bad mood, he will react as instinct guides him - with teeth and/or claws. He is NOT being mean, he does NOT suddenly hate you. He is just reacting like he is supposed to. This is something that you can not train out of them, or breed out of them, or tame out of them. You CAN make it less likely to happen, by the way you treat him, and by getting a flyer from a responsible breeder. His own personality will have a lot to do with how tame he will be. But 99 out of 100 times, your flyer will not want to sit in your hand and be petted, or sit on your shoulder while you go about the house doing whatever you want to. He will not cuddle for long periods of time, or come when you want him to without fail. He is a wild animal and will stay that way. Any loyalty or friendship he shows to you is a gift from him, to be given at his discretion. And it is only given after you have earned it.

Think long and hard before you decide to be owned by a flying squirrel. It is definately not a life for everyone. It is expensive, very time consuming, and sometimes the rewards are few and far between. These creatures can live up to 15 years or more, and it will be your responsibility to make sure he is fed correctly, well housed, provided with a challenging environment for physical and mental health, receives proper vet care when needed, and is treated with respect and love throughout his life. Acquiring an exotic pet is just like having a child - you are no longer foot loose and fancy free. You have a dependent, and without your care, it will die. It is difficult to find anyone to leave a flyer with when you go on vacation, and taking it with you can be dangerous, as they are illegal in many states. You run the constant risk of your pet being euthanized, and you having some expensive fines to pay.

Flying squirrels are not a good fit for everyone.

Judy C,

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:41 am

Very true, Judy!
I have 4 flyers, I am owned by the MonsterPetes. They own us instead of us owning them!
First there is my only female, Martie, who turned into a biter when she was getting ready 4 her first litter. No fingers involved, she went 4 faces & throats! But MS Monster still gets the same treatment and love as my others, bites & all!
Pistol is my oldest male, was a total shirt baby @ first, but always into trouble. He is now a cage baby who only comes 2 see me when he wants 2 use my shirt 4 a toilet!
Drago is the 1 who loves 2 play on me however he only does it 4 a short time then he's on his own!
Lil foot can only be touched inside the cage, once he is out, hands off, its playtime.
I love each 1 of them & I hardly ever leave them, but each & every flyer has their on personality! U must accept them 4 that & not try 2 change them!
U will find several stories on here from my home, read them please & think hard about it before u decide 2 get 1! There are no promises that the 1 u get will be easy 2 bond with!
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:29 am

Judy and Glorya have given some excellent advice. I'll have to pring Judy C.'s example of having a SFS for future use when people ask me here at home about them. You couldn't have said it better. =D> Each and everyone has a distinct personallity. Chipper has discovered he has a voice. He is the equivalent to a saprano! Last night he woke me up 3 different times; knowing that I will get up to check on him in case he has gotten hurt. He always had a great big grin on his face when he sees me and if he could speak a human language he would yell, "PLAY TIME", when he sees me. I can't tell you how hard it is to wake from a deep sleep to play with Chip. But, after he gives me a wet willy or a nudge on the cheek, I give in and play as long as he needs me. Sometime she wakes me up by pulling and nipping at my fingers to wake me up. I remember the night he started clawing my neck to get me to play. But, I have to remember he is wild (he fell from his nest as a 4 week old pup and needed help.) But, I love him dearly because he choose me to be his HOF and I consider that an honor.
Martie.....

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:33 am

Judy C. wrote:OK - (If he stashes enough apples for a long enough time, your home will begin to smell like a brewery, as they will ferment!) Judy C

PS...Chipper's favorite foods to hide are grapes and grape/cherry tomatoes and they are usually behind my pillow! :splat:
Martie.....

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:52 pm

judy i LOVE your explanation on flyers. you are totally right and i think everyone considering owning a flying squirrel should read that. people definitely often have high and false expectations of flying squirrels based on information they may get from commercial breeders who want you to buy their pets.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:26 pm

Daregan,
In your first post, you asked,
are they really that great of pets?

You went on to list some of your concerns about biting, hyperactivity, bonding, and so on which would make me think that you aren't convinced that they are. So, it sounds like you have done quite a bit of research, and you already know some of the pros and cons of owning a flying squirrel. If you really want an animal that will behave like a sugar glider, by all means get a sugar glider! Most of the people on this forum really like their flyers, so we are going to maximize all the good things, and we don't mind some of negatives, because they aren't that important to us. I'm sure you will be a careful, informed pet owner, and take a lot of time learning about whichever animal you choose.
Above all, please don't make a decision about the pet you want, thinking you can MAKE it into something it isn't, OK?
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Return to “Meet the SFS”