Been gone along time

Place for those with paid memberships to introduce themselves

Moderator: Joan

lilbitsquirrely
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Been gone along time

Postby lilbitsquirrely » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:10 pm

:wings: I just thought I would try to get back and try to get more in the groove.I had six Southern Fliers until we found one of our newest babies dead last night .We try to leave the mom alone and not mess with her nest until we see her emerge and spend a little more time out of it.this was her second litter and she had two this time instead of one,but sadly the one must have had a problem because it looks like it died before it got its fur.Now we have five S.F.S and two grays left.We are going to have the one male Flier Fixed May the 14th so we will not have any more babies.Our squirrels names are (starting with the fliers)Mommy's name is Tinker Bell,Daddy's name is Buddy Boy,and the last out of the S.F.S.is Sweet Pea She was found by my doberman Pincher who by the way is use to taking care of cats ,A love bird ,and Sugar Gliders,so when she found this baby on the cold ground two years ago last Oct.She made sure to get our attention and she was a rescue.She lives in complete freedom in my bedroom above our bed,because Tinker Bell would not accept her into the group. We have not named the two babies yet,although my husband has been calling the six month old baby Little Buddy and I told him I really believe he is a she.My two gray squirrels are a little over a year old and they have been fixed.They were rescues out of a litter of four that we decided to keep their names are Darth Vader and Yoda.I also took in another litter of Five that I Named Archie,Reggie,Jughead,Betty,and Veronica. I had to beg my husband to let me release them when they were fully weaned we still feed and care for them along with a whole bunch that have joined,to get the free and easy food. :greenjumpers: As you can see we are one big happy family.Between vet bills and food we will probably never be rich as far as money,But we are extremely blessed with Gods precious gifts. :lover: :love7: :love9: :love10: :wav:
Last edited by lilbitsquirrely on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Judy C.

Re: Been gone along time

Postby Judy C. » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Please think long and hard before you have your male flyer neutered. The flyers do not do well, and many die from the operation. They are determined to take out the stitches, which leads to death. You can do a search on here to read about others that have their flyers fixed. You might want to just separate your males and females - it's a lot safer.

Judy Call

lilbitsquirrely
Baby Flyer

Postby lilbitsquirrely » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:45 am

Thank You .I appreciate your concern,and I will check out the others that you mentioned.My vet does not use the removable stitches but the dis-solvable ones and a special type glue that does not cause harm.She is the only vet that takes care of squirrels,at the hospital I use, and she specializes in small animals,her main concern was the anesthesia and as we all know that it is one of the dangers of all surgeries even in humans.She has told me that,and she truly believes she has that worked out.My husband and I have discussed this in depth and since Buddy And Tinker Bell are more attached to him,I told him how dangerous this is,and he feels this is the best thing.Neither one of us want to see these guys caged.I wish you could see the set up we have for all our kids.We have a metal Florida room 26 x 12 feet,that we built for my birds and a place to relax off our bedroom.well I am down to one bird a small love bird thats in my living room now.(by the way his cage is always open except when friends come to visit and bring their dogs)I hate anything to be caged. :oops: sorry I get sidetracked anyway back to the Florida room,the squirrels rule.The grays run it during the day and the S.F.S. run it at night.I started with a huge hammock that hangs from the ceiling from side to side, then my husband brought in natural pecan limbs of various sizes and made them the most wonderful gym that reaches almost to the ceiling,he also connected a large PVC thick wall tube through one of the window openings so they have access to an outside cage thats is very big,they all run in and out at their leisure, they are all so happy I would hate to separate them ,they have been together since 2006 and so far the people that were interested in getting the new babies will cage them.Believe me when I say we are weighing this out very carefully and I am leaving him in Gods hand after all he is the creator of all things great and small and we will pray that God brings him through safe and sound.I wish I knew how to post pictures,because then I would try to take some and put them on for viewing.

WillowsMama
Juvie Pup

Postby WillowsMama » Mon May 24, 2010 10:00 pm

sounds like an awesome place, my SFS Lioki may be looking for a rental LOL...i think his wife Willow kicked him out.
I just posted the story earlier...in a nutshell, I think my female "Willow" just became a mother. Any advice? I know seperating them would be step one but how do I even find out if there are babies? She has nested in a lined sock hat that I made for them 2+ years ago. It is full of nesting stuff (lots of peanut shells) and she wont let me near it

lilbitsquirrely
Baby Flyer

Postby lilbitsquirrely » Mon May 24, 2010 10:25 pm

:puppydogeyes: You have to be careful.Do you have them in a place where you can open the top or back?,if so,you will have to watch and wait for her to come out of the nesting area to eat ,and take the Box, into another room and then very carefully take the bedding out and search for the baby/babies.After you get done checking carefully replace the bedding and babies,as close to the way you found them and put the nesting box back where it was.This is how we found out about our litters.I hope this helps.God Bless you and be careful you don't want to keep them apart to long. Usually you can tell if she has had babies by the way she acts towards the male,she will be really hateful towards him and attack him to keep him away from the nest.I hope you have another nest box or some sort of bedding for him. 8-[

lilbitsquirrely
Baby Flyer

Postby lilbitsquirrely » Mon May 24, 2010 11:07 pm

#-o I almost forgot you do not want to remove the babies from the mother unless you are going to finish nursing them and keep them on you in a bonding pouch,even then you [-X do not want to take them from the mother until they are at least 5 or 6 weeks old.It is allot of work but you have to acclimate them to people. :smileymouse:

Travis
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Travis » Mon May 31, 2010 3:43 pm

Please do not do this thing, I've heard of too many bad things happening, the stitches may disolve but they may not have a chance too.
I'm sorry Taz, be at peace.

lilbitsquirrely
Baby Flyer

Postby lilbitsquirrely » Mon May 31, 2010 6:49 pm

Travis wrote:Please do not do this thing, I've heard of too many bad things happening, the stitches may disolve but they may not have a chance too.

=D> We had his surgery and he made it through.He had it over two weeks ago and he is doing great.My vet said she always leaves the surgical site with a tiny opening for drainage and he had no problems he has completely healed,and he doesn't even know he's different.We can now keep all our fliers and will not have to worry about any more babies.I know you do not agree with our decision,but under the circumstances,this was better than worrying about whether someone else would take care of our babies like we would want them to be cared for. Buddy Boy is the most gentle and loving Flying squirrel we have,and this was one of the most difficult decisions we have had to make in a long time.I hope you can understand. :fly:

zoeyku
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby zoeyku » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:01 am

Please think long and hard before you have your male flyer neutered.

Return to “NFSA Member Introductions”