Traveling question: Better to leave flyer home or take him ?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

marilyn
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Traveling question: Better to leave flyer home or take him ?

Postby marilyn » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:43 pm

I keep going back and forth on this and could use some help making a decision. I have only had this flyer(Burl) for 2 weeks and need to go with my daughter to see my Mom in Florida. Burl is just about 10 weeks old and is well on his way to bonding with me and my husband and son. I could bring him with me, but he would have to be in his travel cage which is about 24" by 16" by18", much smaller than his "at home" cage. My husband and son will be here to take care of him and I would only be gone 6 days. I guess I'm overly worried because the last time I went away for a week my first flyer(Snickers) dissappeared. What would you do? I leave tomorrow, friday.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Traveling question: Better to leave flyer home or take h

Postby Joan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:59 pm

[quote="marilyn"] ... What would you do? I leave tomorrow, friday.

Marilyn, I take Chuck with me all the time. He adjusts to a smaller cage as long as he has a wheel to run in. I would do what makes you the most comfortable. Burl will adjust to either.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurie
Flying Furball

Postby Laurie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:21 pm

I have three options - leave them home & have someone check in once a day, take them to Aunty Joan's or take them with me. I can tell you that leaving them with Joan or taking them with me (thankxs to Joans travel cage), is when I feel the most comfortable than leaving them at home w/a drop in sitter. Take your baby with you. The smaller cage is no big deal w/a wheel as Joan said. Pack each nights food in snack sized ziplocks and pop in your cooler..... you'll have a relaxing trip knowing your baby is with you!
Laurie
Mom to Orphaned Fliers Everywhere

Yolanda
NFSA Member

Postby Yolanda » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:02 pm

George and Lukas almost always go with me when I visit my mom. The smaller cage doesn't seem to bother them at all. Lukas does get his sleeping schedule messed up as he like to be awake when we're driving. I guess he wants to make sure he's not missing anything. : )
Yolanda

owned by Lukas and his children: Hickory, Queen Nefertiti, Yuki, Buttercup, Lily, and Jib; RIP George (mate of Lucas and mother of his children)
Cinderella the rabbit
Jasper, Sibbie, Echo, Simon, Sphinx, Cotton, and Indigo (cats)

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:13 pm

It sounds like your husband and son are also bonding with him. Are you afraid he'll forget you in a week? Either way can work out, so go with your heart.
kay

Cathy
Flying Furball

Postby Cathy » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:02 pm

I took SuzieQ with me last year when I evacuated for the hurricanes. I was gone for 2 weeks, and I only had a small cage, about 24" x 12" x 18". She does not like to run on a wheel, so she didn't even benefit from that. She did just fine, and I was very happy to have her around. I'm sure that if you want to take your baby with you he'll be ok even in the small cage.

Cathy

marilyn
NFSA Member

Traveling question

Postby marilyn » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:52 pm

Thanks for all the input. I guess I am a little worried about Burl forgetting me while I'm gone, and though the whole family loves him, he is MY pet. I know he would adjust to the smaller cage; he was in it until a few days ago. He hasn't shown much interest in the wheel yet, so I don't know...
I will probably take him; I want to introduce him to my Mom anyway.
Thanks again everyone!

Moca
Flying Furball

Re: Traveling question: Better to leave flyer home or take h

Postby Moca » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:55 am

Joan wrote:
marilyn wrote:
Marilyn, I take Chuck with me all the time. He adjusts to a smaller cage as long as he has a wheel to run in. r.

When Nugget was still a pup (off the bottle) I took him on a trip to VA and to Queens...He was in a smaller cage and did things like unplugging his small water bottle around 2 AM...But we both survived it.
:)
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

marilyn
NFSA Member

Postby marilyn » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:41 am

Just thouth I'd let ya'll know how things turned out.
I did take Burl along last friday and things were going fine until my daughter and I stopped at a store north of Chattanooga. My car had recently been serviced; everything was supposed to be fine, but the check engine light came on and the car barely had enough power to get off the road into a parking lot. We were about 3 hours from home so I called my husband who came to our rescue and towed the car back home. Poor Burl had to be in his tiny little plastic critter carrier so I could carry him with me while we waited and shopped around the stores and had some lunch. At least we were able to be in air-conditioning! Burl was not happy about the situation, but he came trough it unscathed. Rather than attempting to drive to Florida in another car saturday, my daughter flew there, and I stayed home with Burl! It was my daughter's trip to see her Grandma and she was to sing in church Sunday; I was just going along to keep her company. Next time the whole family goes traveling Burl will go too!

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:55 pm

Sorry about the car trouble but I am glad you took Burl with you. He did have an adventure. lol I have a travel bag that openes on the ends and you carry it like a hand bag. It has mesh on the sides and I put the cotton in there along with some foods and off we will go. The big cage is for when we get where we are going. We don't do this often but it sure is nice to have.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

crystal3

Postby crystal3 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:30 pm

i also have the little travel carrier that unzips on both sides resembeling a purse with the mesh sides. Petrie has been all over with us, he has been in a Bob Evans ( wish we had one here :( ) Dennies, The mall in Orlando, and all kinds of other weird places. I think he likes to see all the strange things out the sides he usually will sit and watch whats going by etc.... I put a little treasure shaped box ( got it at walmart in the craft section its cardboard type material) inside with cotton balls from his bed at home nuts etc... he can go in side the box if he wants and its more private and he can chill and look outside the sides if he wants. He is good at traveling. :D
Crystal

HOF of 2 angels
Petrie 11/05
Piper 01/05
:love9:

Yolanda
NFSA Member

Postby Yolanda » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:43 pm

crystal3 wrote:i also have the little travel carrier that unzips on both sides resembeling a purse with the mesh sides.:D

I also have one like that, but my little ones have almost chewed a hole through it. I guess they wanted a wider view. :D

They make little cages that fit into them so I'll have to get one of those before Christmas.
Yolanda

owned by Lukas and his children: Hickory, Queen Nefertiti, Yuki, Buttercup, Lily, and Jib; RIP George (mate of Lucas and mother of his children)
Cinderella the rabbit
Jasper, Sibbie, Echo, Simon, Sphinx, Cotton, and Indigo (cats)

crystal3

Postby crystal3 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:49 pm

LOL that is hilarious! I have a bird cage a small one that works well in a pinch as long as there is room in the car. gives them a little room to move about too....
Crystal

HOF of 2 angels

Petrie 11/05

Piper 01/05

:love9:

marilyn
NFSA Member

Postby marilyn » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:43 pm

I've seen those carriers; just wasn't sure the squirrel wouldn't chew his way out. It sounds like they work well for day trips. I used to carry a pet rabbit in a basket that looked like a purse. We took him on vacation with us and he couldn't stay in the hot car.I would slip him a little salad when we ate out; only one waitress suspected what we had and she was sympathetic.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”