Help my squirrel refuses to crack her own nuts!

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Rhiannonn2626
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Help my squirrel refuses to crack her own nuts!

Postby Rhiannonn2626 » Tue May 22, 2007 5:20 pm

Im worried about Pixie's teeth...They dont look long but she refuses to chew on ANYTHING not her mineral block, not nuts. She'll strip the bark off of twigs but thats about the extent of it... What should I do? I dont want to have to crack her nuts forever and have regular teeth filing sessions...but if I gotta...
PROUD HOF to Pixie!!!

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Tue May 22, 2007 8:34 pm

How old is she? Rogue didnt crack her 1st nut untill close to 4 months.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Tue May 22, 2007 9:22 pm

Isobella STILL doesn't crack her own nuts. She's like a year and a half old. I haven't figured out why or how to get her to rack them. Her teeth are a little long but she can still eat and they don't seem to bother her...I might have to file them..anyone know how who can post comprehensive details as to how?
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Help my squirrel refuses to crack her own nuts!

Postby Joan » Tue May 22, 2007 9:23 pm

[quote="Rhiannonn2626"]... She'll strip the bark off of twigs but thats about the extent of it...

That's good enough.

I dont want to have to crack her nuts forever

Do you just slightly crack them and then she opens them when she smells what's inside?
Last edited by Joan on Wed May 23, 2007 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue May 22, 2007 11:28 pm

:laughing5: :smt018 :rotflol: :laughatyou: :violin: These are the reactions my owners had when I handed them a fresh batch of hickory nuts and told them SOME furballs living with humans never learned how to open their own nuts! :twisted:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Lora
NFSA Member

Help My Squirrel Refuses to Crack Her Own Nuts

Postby Lora » Wed May 23, 2007 5:29 pm

Helen if you want to keep your fingers you might want to let a pro do any teeth filing, lol. Bojangles will crack his own nuts. He also likes the calcium perch I got him. Vitacraft makes chinchilla treat sticks that he likes & they have calcium as well. He also likes his little log hideaway as well as the wooden bird chew toys. I have to rotate everything as he has the attention span of a 1 year old but it's working out. You can also add a tiny bit of kracked corn to her food and don't forget chicken bones.

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Wed May 23, 2007 7:31 pm

I don't know that you can file them. They have some play and movement and you'd make the squirrel nutsy and spazzzz yourself out. We've always clipped teeth that need it. I like the little tiny nail clippers that cut from all around rather than scissor-type, but I've used both.
kay

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Wed May 23, 2007 7:52 pm

LOL ok Kay I think you will be the person I ask when I need help with that. For now it seems she does enough nawing on my furniture :roll: for it to stay low for a bit.
Owned by

Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Rhiannonn2626
Flying Furball

Postby Rhiannonn2626 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:06 pm

I crack them a little yes, and then she mocks me and waits for me to give in. I got her in february @2 months old so she is...5 months. Should I maybe take away her goodies until she figures it out?
PROUD HOF to Pixie!!!

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Wed May 23, 2007 9:21 pm

Are we talking about degrees of spoiled?? Sheesh. You could leave them partially cracked and go to bed and see what's there by morning. and the next day, and the next day. Depends how much you want to crack and how much they want to eat nuts.
Just like kids. . ..... Logical consequences.
:twisted:
kay

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Wed May 23, 2007 10:09 pm

Pistol won't touch a bite for days if his food is not fixed just as he wants and now Martie is getting the same way. Try acorns, at least Pistol will crack them where he won't pecans. Martie won't crack acorns so I just barely crack them so she still has to pull on them pretty hard and even bite a little to get in.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”