Piper may be sick

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Susie
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Piper may be sick

Postby Susie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:36 am

Piper, my little flyer, may be sick. Last night when she wouldn't come out of her bed I reached in and got her. She was cold and lifeless. She would only sit, no running around or anything. I held her and got her warm and fed her a little applesauce . After a couple of hours she started moving around and changing positions in my lap and blanket. We just knew she was dying. I took her to her little room that I take her to and she ate some more applesauce-then I put her in her pen and she ate good, drank some water, and was her usual spit-fire and even bit me once lightly. I think something made her sick. The night before she wasn't quite herself, either, but I didn't think she was sick. I just don't know why she was so cold. Today she's warm so I left her in her bed. She will sleep all day unless I drag her out. What should I look for next and wonder what it was. My husband did spray a little mosquito spray in the room a couple of days ago, which we never do, but the mosquitoes are so bad now. Also, I bought her some dry cat food morsels and gave her one-shrimp flavored-she always seems interested in smelling my hands after we eat fish and I had read where other flyers eat meat so I thought she might like that. Maybe not. We just don't know why she was so sick. Any suggestions?

Lora
NFSA Member

Piper May Be Sick

Postby Lora » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:47 pm

My money's on the mosquito spray. Next time just use a sticky hanging strip that you can remove when she's out. Probably wouldn't hurt to toss the cat food too just in case. Stick to real shrimp.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:56 pm

I"m sorry Piper is sick. I also think it's the mosquito spray because in the packet of seeds that came with Isobella there were a few tiny tiny chunks of cat food. I only noticed because it was the meow mix kind and I have seen them quite often.
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:52 pm

Flyers are the mammal equivalent to canaries in a mine. They are sensitive to chemicals.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Lora
NFSA Member

Piper May Be Sick

Postby Lora » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:25 pm

My husband's a pest control tech so I ran this by him & he agrees the mosquito spray is probably the culprit. When they have to spray around caged animals or birds the cages need to be completely covered with a towel, blanket, etc for 24 hours after treatment. For aquariums you must cover with a wet towel. As for what to do now.... sounds like she may have worked it thru her system. Activated charcoal is good for absorbing toxins but I'm not sure how you would administer that to a flyer. Any ideas rehabbers?

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:00 pm

I think it was the spray. I just knew when he sprayed that we shouldn't be doing that. We never have. We also have a grey and a fox squirrel in the same room. It wasn't very much but it could have gotten into her water bowl. I have her a bowl and a bottle. She drinks from each. Yes, I also tossed the cat food. She's in her bed today and won't come out. I'll get her out later if I have to take her bed down and take it to our little bathroom where she plays, and dump her out (carefully, of course). I sure hope she gets over this. I just love her so much. I'll let all know how she does. Thanks---

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Susie wrote:... She's in her bed today and won't come out.

She may be sleeping it off.

I sure hope she gets over this.

They heal really fast. She'll know what to do.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:52 pm

Piper sleeps in a Crown Royal Bag hanging in her pen. SHe has two other beds but she sleeps in the bag. One of her other beds she has turned into a "cookie jar", I call it, if you give her a vanilla wafer or part of any other cookie she will always take it to this one bed. THe other bed is full of cotton and whatever else she has put into it. When she is "in a mood" she runs in and out of it real fast. I call that one her "fight bed". When she's like that you just don't mess with her. She'll bite the crap out of you. I've had her 9 months and she will still bite me, when she wants to. I promise you I love her 100 times more that she loves me. I hope some of you know what I'm talking about. Last night when she was so sick I held her and turned her anyway I wanted to. I looked at her teeth, which I've been wanting to so bad, to see if they're too long or whatever. She doesn't knaw on much of anything hard. I know she should, but she just doesn't. I guess she has it too good. Her teeth looked normal to me-not too long. Boy she was sick-just lifeless. I think if I hadn't drug her out of her bed and got her warm she might not have made it.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:55 pm

Aws don't feel badly things happen you can't conrol it all. I'm sure she'll be up and runninr around in no time at all!
Owned by

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:01 pm

Susie wrote:... I think if I hadn't drug her out of her bed and got her warm she might not have made it.

Just check on this til she's out and about on her own.

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:30 pm

Well, Piper had to be run out of her bed. I had her Crown Royal bag half way taken down and she came out to fight. ha She's so mean. She came out and got on my hand, ran around, ate pretty good and went back to bed. I couldn't get her to go with me to our little bathroom. Usually she goes up my housecoat sleeve and away we go but she didn't want to do that tonight. SHe's just acting like a woman--that's what I tell my husband. So glad she's back to herself. She's probably remembering me handling her so throughly last night. I mean I checked her out good. ha

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:08 pm

I'm so glad she's doing better!

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:37 am

Thank ya'll so much for being there. If Piper ever does anything unexpected I always think of you being there for me to talk to. It's such a relief. I still think she isn't very strong and I think she's too thin. She just doesn't get enough exercise. SHe has a stealth wheel in her pen but I've never seen her in it unless I've put her in. Her pen is about 2 feet from another squirrel (a grey) and I've thought about moving her but I haven't. That may not have anything to do with her staying in bed all day. Sometimes when I'm messing with the other squirrels I'll see her over there watching us. Thanks again

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:15 pm

I'm so happy she is ok. I'm sorry i'm so late to post this but, it always makes me happy when they get better. -does happy dance-
Owned by

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:16 am

I'm so glad to hear that Piper is better. We hve to be so careul with what we use around them. Martie likes to play in my bathroom while I am getting dressed and I have to run her out before I use any type of sprays.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:02 pm

I came back to this post because July 12th when Piper was sick I wrote that her teeth weren't too long when I checked her over. Tonight when she bit me I held her and scolded her and looked at her teeth again and I couldn't believe how long her bottom teeth are. My goodness !! I don't know how she could even bite me or anything else for that matter. What should I do? take her to the vet and get them cut off? I never hear or see her chewing on anything hard and I guess this is the results we get. How long do they have to be that they can't chew on something hard. Do you think it's too late to change them?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:15 pm

Flyer teeth are naturally really long. If she's eating OK, don't worry about them.

Bejammie
NFSA Member

Postby Bejammie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:25 am

Hey! Piper and Delila have matching crown royal beds! Haha... that was one of the only donations from my loving boyfriend...haha :)
♠ Allison ♠
Squammy to Delilah and Timber
-Always remembering my little wild guy, Sprocket- gliding free in those southern breezes-
-The life of a lamb is no less precious to me than that of a human being.- Ghandi

Susie
NFSA Member

Postby Susie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:17 am

Piper has 2 other beds-real beds- in her pen but she has chosen the Crown Royal bag as her bed to sleep in--and stay in most of the time. Her top teeth look fine but the two bottoms are 4 times longer. How do I get her to chew on something hard like pecans, pine nuts, sunflower seeds and wood? She has sticks of all kinds in her pen but I've never seen her chew-much. SHould I remove the applesauce, peanut butter, fruit,and shelled nuts? That's what she eats.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”