Rose Petals

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Rose Petals

Postby lucy10177 » Sat May 31, 2008 11:28 am

can fs eat rose petals? and does it matter which ones? :n00b:

Kay
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Rose Petals

Postby Kay » Sat May 31, 2008 8:26 pm

Yes, but I don't give commercial roses. I don't know what they've been treated with...... just from the garden. Frosty did attack one of my boquets from the store and nothing happened, though.'
kay

immatater
Flying Furball

Postby immatater » Sat May 31, 2008 10:23 pm

I have a bush with minis and I give them the whole flower. The top of the rose would fit on a nickel. They love it.

Sweet Pea
NFSA Member

Postby Sweet Pea » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:47 am

I just planted 14 Double Knockout Roses and all three of my owners get a rose bud every other night. These roses bloom from March until the first frost. The KIDS love them. :multi:
I have had two flyers. One for 4 1/2 years and on for only 9 months when I lost him. I am very lonesome now without there companionship. I need to find a baby flyer.THANKS TO THE GOOD LORD I FOUND ONE !![url][/url]

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:30 am

Those Knock Out roses are great - they bloom long after everything else has given up, and they are disease resistant. I planted a bunch of them this spring too. (I was cheap and bought the singles rather than the doubles!) They have decent sized rose hips on them, which is really the reason I got them, so let some bloom and die on the bush. Then pick the rose hips and stick them in the freezer for later. I have some other roses that I use to feed the gang, so all my Knock Out's are saved for the hips.

Judy

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:05 am

Judy C. wrote:Those Knock Out roses are great - they bloom long after everything else has given up, and they are disease resistant. I planted a bunch of them this spring too. (I was cheap and bought the singles rather than the doubles!) They have decent sized rose hips on them, which is really the reason I got them, so let some bloom and die on the bush. Then pick the rose hips and stick them in the freezer for later. I have some other roses that I use to feed the gang, so all my Knock Out's are saved for the hips.

Judy

Is the rose hips the bottom of the rose by the stem? Thanks for the advice. I will go pick some from my brothers yard and freeze them. My one squirrel Muffin loves them. His roses are dying out now. Is it too late to get them?

Mary

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:00 pm

Rose hips are the little green round thing that the petals were attached to. If left on the rose bush for a while, they will continue to get bigger. (They have lots of vit.C) I just rinse them off, put them in a jar and stick them in the freezer, and feed them still frozen. You can buy rose hips at health food stores, but they are dried and my flyers won't have anything to do with them!

Judy

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:36 am

Thanks Judy,
The next time I go over to Dan's,, I will gather some up to freeze.
Mary

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:43 pm

My bunch are really crazy about roses -- all of 'em! However, they like to snatch the petal from me, bite off the end closest to the stem, then fling the trash on the floor of the cage. It looks like a flower girl maniac drank too much wedding punch . . .
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:58 pm

I actually freeze roses straight from the bush every year for mine and then give them to them all winter. Mine don't care if they are frozen or fresh as long as they get the roses.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

legomom0701
NFSA Member

Postby legomom0701 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:25 pm

We have one huge rose bush that came with our house. Don't know what kind it is, but all of our critters love them! Even my mom's rats! Teddy got his first one today & went crazy! :D

So fun to watch them with new things! :lover:
Shanon, Teddy's HOF & Christine's Squammy
ImageImage
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/index.php

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:07 am

Great picture! That rose is beautiful. Looks like one from a florist. I have some old English roses. The furballs wake up early when I bring some in 'cause they smell so good. We also have the mini roses and they are great because they keep reblooming until frost too. And I think the furbutts like them a little more than the knockout rose.
Tonight the little monsters are ALL out. Even the babies. And they are dining on mini roses, knockout roses, acorns, yogurt, and a bunch of baby grasshoppers I caught today :icecream:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

fsalter53
NFSA Member

Postby fsalter53 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:39 pm

OMG I had no idea that they like rose petals or even the greenery, I have a rose garden, big small and they just look pretty and then die, so now I can feed them to my flyers. I have been sitting here just reading all your posts and have learned so much, thanks for all the ideas. :silly:
SADIE ^ SAGE

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”