Clicking sound and feeding trouble

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Lrddragar1

Clicking sound and feeding trouble

Postby Lrddragar1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:00 pm

I got my first flyer last week... he is about 8 weeks old and still on mostly esbalic (power/water), with some fresh bananas and plums also. He generally eaten the formula fast from the dropper and never had a problem with it today. Today while feeding him on two separate occasions from the dropper, he would occasionally spontenously sneeze or cough or something very close to it and splatter formula, then resume eating... hes never had this problem before and it was only while feeding him both times today. He seemed to do with with the plum.

A little while ago I noticed he is making a very faint clicking sound, about 4-5x a second... I saw a post that mentioned something about a clicking sound and linked it to breathing problems... I am not sure if this is the same type of sound, this is my first flyer (southern flying squirrel) and the first time hearing it. I also wonder if the eating episode is linked to this clicking. Any ideas or suggestions on what this could be or if I should be doing anything to help him?

Thanks

Lrddragar1

Re: Clicking sound and feeding trouble

Postby Lrddragar1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:02 pm

I am on long island... there is a wildlife vet who is supposedly familiar with flying squirrels a few towns over from me, in East Islip, but she is only in Tuesdays. Is there anything that I can do in the meantime? Is there any chance this clicking is normal? Ive never heard my flyer make ANY noise up until this point

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:49 pm

If it's aspiration, they will also mouth breath (gasping for air like a fish out of water) and this is an indication of pneumonia. If not treated within 24 hours, they usually die.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

hauk
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby hauk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:23 pm

Assume that it is aspirated, Get a vet quick or get it to a rehabber that has access to the proper meds, there is no time for discussion. Tom

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:11 pm

Tom is 100% right. I have had Eastern Greys who would get formula in their nose over and over. One started the "clicking", and it was pneumonia. The formula not only got into it's nose but in the lungs also. It needs to get to a vet and on antibiotics.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Lrddragar1

Postby Lrddragar1 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:41 am

Thanks for all your help... I will call around for a vet first thing in the morning.... I also found a "SquirrelHaven" Wildlife rehabber nearby that I will call first thing in the morning.

Right now the flyer is running around the couch, active for now but not as much as normal, The clicking is very intermittant when it happens... I havent heard it in hours but just suddenly heard it for a few minutes but stopped. Is this inconsistency an indication of anything? He ate tonight, not as much as normal, but didnt seem to otherwise have any problems with this feeding. Regardless I will call everyone on the island to find a vet tomorrow. In the event I can not swiftly get in touch with a vet specicially familiar with flying squirrels, can I see a less-familiar vet and tell them what I need, and if so, what specifically should I be asking for? I have heard of Septra as an antibiodic

Lrddragar1

Postby Lrddragar1 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:01 pm

The flyer seemed much more active this morning, and with a much better appetite. Regardless, I took him to the vet. The vet says that everything seems normal and healthy... good heartrate, pink skin, pink gums, no indications of breathing trouble, and was not able to observe the clicking sound (although I heard it briefly this morning). The vet wants to do a fecal sample to check its not parasites which I'll need to collect over the next few days given the droppings are so small. The vet said perhaps the flyer inhaled a small amount of esbalic or got it in its sinuses and was able to work it out on its own, and does not want to do antibiodics unless absolutely neccessary given its so small and especially susceptible.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:08 pm

I'm so glad he's OK. Keep an eye on him. Sometimes they will "click" from feedings and not aspirate, but it's not worth the chance of ignoring. I aspirated my first flyer pup and felt like a murder for a long time. Better safe than sorry!
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:18 am

I'm glad he is doing better! Here are a couple of other tricks if a baby aspirates:

If the chest sounds like crinkly cellophane, usually in a rhythmic pattern, like breathing -- NEEDS ANTIBIOTICS! That's very hard to tell on a tiny flyer. Watch their activity & observe how they breathe. If you see them strain, or breath hard, or mouth-breathe, it's bad news.
Keep them on a heating pad set to LOW, in a box or house 1/2 on, 1/2 off the heat. Warm is good for sick babies.
Take them in the bathroom and turn the shower on hot. Let the baby breathe the warm moist air. (Don't put the baby or the box in the shower!! Don't laugh, somebody I know actually did that. :silly: )
Feed very slowly, little bits & more often. A full tummy puts pressure on the lungs, and if the lungs are filling with fluid it causes great distress.
Sneezing can mean that fluid got into the sinuses, but it also means that the baby is trying to eat too much, too fast. Slow down!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:55 pm

Really good tips Lynn :)
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”