Not eating enough??

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

k625
Juvie Pup
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Not eating enough??

Postby k625 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:02 pm

I am going to attach some photos of the flyer that was brought into my vets office on Saturday. She has been doing find, but now that her eyes are opening today, im starting to think she is extremely small. I have been feeding just about every 3-4 hours, and she seems to be hungy with no food in the stomach at these feeding times. The problem is she only eats about 1 to 1 and 1/2 ccs every feeding. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think, she just seems to tiny!!

Katie, home of 1 pug, 2 Sphynx cats, 3 Silkie Chickens, and 2 Polish frizzle Chickens. Hopefully a flyer in the future :)

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Not eating enough??

Postby Joan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:33 pm

She look fine for a 4 week old. If she's eating, don't worry. Their stomachs should empty between feedings (you can see the milk line in their tummy's after eating).
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

k625
Juvie Pup

Postby k625 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Ok, I have complete trust in what you say. I guess I just got a little discouraged when I saw that a 3 week old should be eating about 3 ccs. I did what yous said Joan, and put her in my bra at school today. My first class ran a bit long for her liking, and she started to peek out lol, I had to make a quick trip to the bathroom and stuff her back in and get her all cozy again. After her feeding at school she napped well for me in my next class. :)
Katie, home of 1 pug, 2 Sphynx cats, 3 Silkie Chickens, and 2 Polish frizzle Chickens. Hopefully a flyer in the future :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:00 pm

In addition to formula, at 4 weeks they can be offered soft solid foods. They can begin to gnaw on pecans and pine nuts although they continue to nurse until they are 8 - 10 weeks. Give pups pecan halves -- split to make pecan quarters and pine nuts and hazelnuts broken in half. All out of the shell. Apples and pears are well received, as are grapes. Offer Cherrios. (you can throw little bits of these in your bra.) :twisted:

As they start eating solid foods, the formula can be decreased to 3 times per day. Usually before work or school, after work or school, and at 10:00 PM to 11:00 PM works well. Good starter foods are peeled grapes, diced apple, Cherrios, banana, and crunchy peanut butter. The grapes should be peeled because the baby can't chew it and it can get caught in their throat.

Use 16oz and 32oz Cola lids for food bowls at first. They are the right size for a baby flyer and it is easy to tell how much and what they are eating. As they start eating solid foods, the stool needs to be watched to make sure they don't get diarrhea. This can cause them to dehydrate and that is a serious problem.

After they are eating the starter foods (apples, pears, and grapes)broccoli, cauliflower, shelled raw peanuts, shelled "hard shell" nuts and a high quality wild birdseed mix can be added to the diet.

When all of these types of foods are being eaten regularly, add a water bottle. The best water bottle to use has no ball in the tip. Use a "hamster" water dispenser that looks like a test tube and has a glass drinking tube. It is easier for them to learn to drink from these. It is best to not use chlorinated water, softened water, or any other "treated" water. When they start drinking water, the formula can be cut back to twice a day.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:56 pm

It is so difficult to tell about weight and hydration from a photo, but there are a couple of pictures that look like she might be quite underweight. Even this young, the spine and hip areas are pretty well padded, so if it feels a little bony, you could add a couple of feedings by shortening the time between each feeding, since she has a little tummy. If she is a little underweight, her appetite will probably pick up in a few days and she will eat more at each feeding so you can cut back again.
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:24 pm

lynn wrote:... so if it feels a little bony, you could add a couple of feedings by shortening the time between each feeding, since she has a little tummy.

You can increase the fat content of her formula by mixing Esbilac powder 1 3/4:1 instead of 2:1 for weak, underweight squirrels.

k625
Juvie Pup

Postby k625 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:51 pm

Yes, I did change the ratio of formula, she seems to be picking up eating more now. She is hungry about ever 2 hrs or so, and will eat about 2-3 ccs at at a time now. With my grey squirrels I used to add a little bit of cereal into the formula at this point, can I add a little bit of baby cereal to her feedings also??

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:29 pm

I would start introducing solids instead of adding to the formula.

k625
Juvie Pup

Postby k625 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:36 pm

Ok, I tried her on a cherio but, she really didnt have too much interest earlier today. She still does not really have top teeth, just bottoms for right now. I look around the board and see what solids I can start her on for now. :D

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:33 am

I think she looks really pretty good. Very alert and strong. It's true that they grow faster and are fatter when Mama is feeding them, but she looks like she is doing well for a formula feed, bra squirrel :D
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

k625
Juvie Pup

Postby k625 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:39 pm

aww no... now I think im on the other side of the spectrum..I think we may have bloat!!! no more feedings until tomorrow at least until 7 am, I have been rubbing her tummy, and making her pee and poop as much as I can. Is this all I really can do, and just let her go to seelp tonight? I feel like such a bad squammy

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:26 pm

Here is what we do for bloat in baby squirrels, greys and other mammals. Use Pedialyte if you have it. Mix one drop of liquid Beano in two tablespoons of Pedialyte. If you don't havge Pedialyte, mix up 2 tablespoons of water,1 teaspoon of sugar, a tiny bit of salt, and a drop of liquid Beano. Give her this mixture fin place of a feeding. You might have to repeat it. It sure did work with a baby bunny I had.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

k625
Juvie Pup

Postby k625 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Well she went with out being fed all night, and when I got her up at & this morning, she looked good. Her tummy was normal size. I fed her and all looked good. She had another feeding around 11:30 and things were looking pretty good, but when I just fed her at 4 she was looking big in the belly again. Maybe she just "poofs up" really big after a feeding. I mean, she is at least 3 weeks old, eyes have been open since Tuesday, and she eat about 3ccs at a feeding.

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:21 pm

How often is she eating? 3 cc's sounds like a lot to me. I have had babies for the last month, and they don't drink 3 cc's until they are older.
Maybe feed her less more often depending on how many times a day she is eating now.
If her eyes have been open since Tuesday, I think she 4 wks old. And the photos look like she is 4 wks.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Wanda wrote:... Maybe feed her less more often depending on how many times a day she is eating now.

I agree with Wanda, Better to underfeed than over. Check the milk line on her abdomen. When it fills across the tummy, stop feeding. OK to leave her wanting more.

fsalter53
NFSA Member

Postby fsalter53 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 pm

hello my name is francine, I have 2 baby flyers and they both look like the pictures you posted they were so small and skinny
I was afraid they were not going to fatten up, but they did and they are doing real good, they are just starting to eat cheerios
along with still on formula, mine are just barley over 4 weeks their hair is growing, I guess im in a hurry for them to start wandering
but they are starting to jump so cute. good luck :multi:
SADIE ^ SAGE

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”