Duct Tape Disaster

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Lee Marsh
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Duct Tape Disaster

Postby Lee Marsh » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:12 pm

I woke up at 4 am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, so I decided to vist my flyers, one of which was busy in his excercise wheel. When I went in, I heard my lady flyer on the floor; unusual for her. I turned on my overhead to find Sweet Pea struggling to escape from duct tape that had been holding my Christmas tree box together. I guess she had been trying to get in the box and got stuck. I panicked because she was hanging from her tail with nothing to put her feet on. I have no idea how long she had been hanging, but she was kicking her legs furiously trying to get away. I immedeately put my left hand underneath her so she had something to stand on, but my right hand was unable to get her tail off the tape. I used my teeth to tear the tape. When I pulled the tape away, what looked like about a half inch of her tail was still stuck to it. I figured out later that it was only hair; I had pulled all of her hair and left a bald inch or so of tail still attached to her. Unfortunately, there is still some tape left attached to her tail closer to her rear-end. A lady at work suggested that baby oil would neutralize the glue so it would fall off. I am afraid she will chew her tail off. There was blood on my hand after the incident. I have been worrying about what I will find when I get home from work. Any ideas? :?:
Owned by flyers Sweet Pea and Indy, and cats Valerie, Marty, Tinker and Cloey

lynn
Flying Furball

Re: Duct Tape Disaster

Postby lynn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Baby oil or mineral oil may help loosen the adhesive on the duct tape. The hair will grow back, so at worst it is better to cut the tape off (without snipping skin) than pull it out. I have also heard of using nail polish remover, but you would have to wash that off after, and I doubt you could get a SFS to hold still for that. She can't be happy; I hope you have a strong pair of Kevlar gloves!
I hope everything is OK when you get home. Just treat any minor injury with a dab of triple antibiotic cream.
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:12 pm

I am on pins and needles and will be anxious to know that everything is ok when you get home.
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:06 pm

Peanut butter also works as an oil and she'll like cleaning it up.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Lee Marsh
NFSA Member

Postby Lee Marsh » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:02 am

I got home after work and Sweet Pea accepted her pecan like normal. She even chased Indy a little. The tape is still stuck to her though, and follows her around like toilet paper stuck to the bottem of someone's shoe. It looks funny, but I am still a little worried. Jennifer is going to meet me at my house tonight to try and remove it. I have never heard of using peanut butter; I bought some baby oil yesterday. It makes me think though. :?

Lee Marsh
NFSA Member

Postby Lee Marsh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:15 am

Jennifer and I were able to remove the tape using baby oil. I held while Jenn gently stroked the tape with the oil until it came loose. She then padded it with a paper towel to soak up as much oil as possible. The last quarter inch of her tail is completely bald, and looks thinner then I would expect. I will have to wait to see if the hair grows back, or if Sweet Pea bites it off due to irritation. It is difficult to gauge because, right now she is semi-hibernating, and so doesn't come out much. I may have to invade her nesting box with a flash light to tell for sure. :?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:41 pm

Lee Marsh wrote:Jennifer and I were able to remove the tape using baby oil.

Great!
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:09 am

Oh! Bless her little heart! Makes me worry what may be dangerous that I haven't thought of. They're all out bouncing around like crazy tonight. I know I won't outlast them tonight either, so I guess I'd better go take one more walk around looking for duct tape traps or other flyer dangers. :roll:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:55 pm

aw poor sweet pea! i hope she makes a full recovery.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Lee Marsh
NFSA Member

Postby Lee Marsh » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:34 am

I'm posting pictureds of Sweet Pea so you can see her tail. It apparently is not going to grow back, so it looks as if she will have this "tapered tail" look going forward. It actually doesn't look bad at all, just different.

Indy (on the left) has not lost any interest in Sweet Pea.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:44 am

[quote="Lee Marsh"]I'm posting pictureds of Sweet Pea so you can see her tail. It apparently is not going to grow back, so it looks as if she will have this "tapered tail" look going forward. It actually doesn't look bad at all, just different.

Chuck has one of those from when Mishi split his tail once. :roll:

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 am

The baby oil was a good idea. Any water soluble cooking oil is safe on animals, too. If you don't want them to chew or lick it, use safflower oil, squirrels don't like the taste of safflower. I rub it on my furniture to keep them from chewing it.

Poor baby girl!
peep
State and Federal permit holder

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:52 pm

Dixie's tail looks like that without having been stuck to duct tape! It just happened after the last molt. I'm waiting to see if it grows back this spring, but if not, it's a quick way to tell the difference between the girls.
It looks like Sweet Pea has quite recovered, otherwise!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:09 pm

shylo's tail looks sorta like that from when her tail degloved. sometimes it's more filled out and rounded, and other times its like a V depending on the molt. doesn't look bad at all though, just a different style!
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Lee Marsh
NFSA Member

Postby Lee Marsh » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:51 am

I took these pictures last night. I looks as if her tail is filling in a little, so maybe she gets all of her tail back after all.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Looks good.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”