My three boys...

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Earl's Mom
Juvie Pup
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

My three boys...

Postby Earl's Mom » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:59 pm

I feel like a poor HOF having to ask this question... but here goes.

I have three flyer boys - Earl (nearly 3 yrs old), Scooter - 5 months old, Rocky - 3 months old). I'm worried about when they all get about the same size, how I'll be able to tell them apart! Right now, Earl is the biggest and is already a "mature" boy. He's also a momma's boy - he's the first one out of the cage to jump on my shoulder and run down my shirt. Scooter is extremely timid of me because he bonded to Earl instead of me - a problem I'm working to correct. He's in my pocket right now so I can hopefully bond with him more! Rocky had an abcess on his back when he was a baby, so for now, the hair on his back looks different so I can tell who he is.

Anyway, all that to ask you guys how will I be able to tell my boys apart as they all grow up?

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: My three boys...

Postby Joan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Earl's Mom wrote:... Anyway, all that to ask you guys how will I be able to tell my boys apart as they all grow up?

I think so. Mine are easy as Mishi is bigger, fatter and has big boobs from having 9 litters. :twisted:
Those with same sex kids can say if it's easy for them.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Earl's Mom
Juvie Pup

Postby Earl's Mom » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. But, I'm wondering if anyone else out there has two or more of the same sex??

Beverly
NFSA Member

Postby Beverly » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Truth be told, I can tell more by personality, than 'visual' clues - but you can make it pretty easy, with your three boys - notch the hair on the tail of two of the three - one on the right side, the other on the left.
Here's an example:
{D {D {D Lots of Acorns to you, from
Beverly and the Denizens of
The Den Drey at Phantom Farm
What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS! Then there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!

Kevin
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Kevin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:11 pm

We had two female flyers for years (one passed away) and we've since acquired a younger male.

I would imagine you boys will choose separate nests for themselves at some point (and stick to their own nest), but ours always have had very distinct personalities. It's been very easy to tell them apart by behavior.

Ours even have different voices for sure. I can tell the difference between "barks" like when when Suki has a nut (keep away from my nut), to Bandit's quick chatter (pleased with himself for some trick or another).
Kevin

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:11 pm

Hi we have two girls and a boy . Our girls you can really tell who is who. Their personalities are so different and Ms. BBB face is almost a different color than Miss Tinkerbelle. I would suggest cutting a notch in one of the tails and cut one of the tails fur off straight. Leave the other natural. That way you will really know who is who
Where are you located in Alabama? We are in the "Deep South".
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:17 pm

I think you'll be abe to tell. If not, it won't hurt their little feelings as long as they're fed.
kay

Earl's Mom
Juvie Pup

Postby Earl's Mom » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks, everyone! I'd thought about trimming tails differently but wondered if that would affect their flying in anyway? Thank you for your advice.

We're in Oxford, Alabama.

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 pm

Thanks, everyone! I'd thought about trimming tails differently but wondered if that would affect their flying in anyway? Thank you for your advice.

Nah, not at all. they'll all just make a different whistling sound as they sail through the air :twisted:

Mine will respond to their names when I call them, and they'll all respond to NO! but they seldom stay put long enough for me to tell by sight who is who, I usually depend on their personality to tell them apart.

Some times it's just plain fun trying to figure out who that is running laps on the ceiling fan :giddyup:
peep
State and Federal permit holder

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Here's how I can tell:
Bunpei -
older, fatter, sleeker, more grey color, MANIC about hiding hazelnuts, and will dive down my shirt from the right collar side

Boeing -
shiny and a brownish color, always running on the lower right wheel in the cage, picky eater but loves sweet potatoe baby food puffs, is the squeaker of the bunch, and has 'boy puffs' all year round, so far!

Calypso -
biggest girl, at the moment a 'perfect' tail, loves to leap on my head (she'll just sit there sometimes) and prefers to be an only child; she's the most aggressive of all to the other SFS, she is obsessed with harvesting yarn from sweaters, pom-poms, and everywhere else, grabs treats and usually runs to eat them

Dixie -
shy, slow to come out of the nest box, has a 'v' in her tail this winter, doesn't like to be in a shirt, but will sit on hand or arm to eat treats, takes snacks very delicately and sinks back in the nest box with them

Piper -
white fingers, FAST!, jumps directly at my face when I'm not looking, has ruined three sets of nosepads on my glasses, chewed the earpiece, and I'm living with bite marks in the second set of lenses until my next eye appointment, would probably live in my shirt all night if I didn't get sleepy
Last edited by lynn on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:11 pm

What a diverse group of characters you have. I love how you describes each one. Sounds like you have a great time every night with your babies. It's so hard to be owned by two, I can't imagine all of your guys sharing.
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:19 pm

Yeah, they're all characters all right! I could live without the destruction of personal property for sure; I don't know what it is about silicone!! Piper will find it, chew it, and disappear in a matter of seconds, whether it is on my glasses, earbuds, or whatever else. Sheesh!
I usually let the girls out first one night, then after a couple of hours the boys get a short play time, then alternate. This winter has been difficult because they all want to get up and play at about 1:00 a.m., but I have to be at work! Hopefully, we are moving to a better schedule as the days get longer so I can play more!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:12 pm

I have no problem telling mine apart! I have three little boys & 1 rotten girl. Everyone has a different personality & a different shade of color!
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:09 pm

I have 3 of each :? and it's pretty much as Lynn discribed with me too. They all have different patterns of behaviors that make them distinctly recognizable as they romp around the cage or in the house. You will instantly know who just ambushed you by how, where from, where on your body, and what he did after landing on you :D

Now, there will times when something happens and you will just have to be left wondering...
Here's a recent episode that still has me shaking. This weekend I left the cage doors open so some were "camping out" during the day. Sunday morning I got up before 7:am and was in the kitchen. Both of my little girl dogs, Ivy and Vivi Ann went out the little dog door onto the patio and out to the back yard for their usual potty break. I was looking at Ivy when she popped back through the flap, and did a double take cause the flap made an unusual movement. I almost hit the floor when a FLYER nosed quickly through the corner of the flap right after Ivy! He/she dissapeared into the den so fast, and I was so shaken up, that it didn't register with me who could have done such a thing. I have a feeling it was one of the youngest 2 girls, but nobody is telling :roll: DH and I went out and found a new flap the same day and he had it installed well before the little monsters woke up Sunday night. This flap has a pretty strong magnetic latch that Ivy and Vivi are having to learn to bump pretty hard to open. I rounded up all 6 Sunday night and locked them in.
Now I'm left wondering how long was this going on, or if it was the first time? And what about the morning several weeks ago when I noticed a pecan (buried?) at the the OUTSIDE of my front door.
I'm scared :puppydogeyes:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Deb, you may still have a few flyers 'camping out' in your house. The flyers in my Wild Bunch cage have been known to bring wild flyers home for extended visits!!! :roll: They always fit right in, enjoying the free room and board! The only way I know they are there is by doing a head count, and coming up with more than I started with!

Judy C.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:34 pm

8-[ Now I'm just paranoid! I've been counting heads constantly for the past couple of nights. David too. I counted 7 two different times, but they are sooo hard to count when they are bouncing around like ping pong balls. We both often count 6's And 5's. I was out late and just got home. DH greets me with, "You still have a squirrel out. One of the little ones, that won't let me touch it." This after 2 nights of thinking they are all in the cage, and head counts of 5-7. And this is the first I've heard of "little ones that won't let David touch." I'm wondering if we have had a litter raised under our noses :?
Guess I'll be up all night playing with furballs and hand feeding so I can count heads until I'm cross-eyed and looking for shy "little ones"
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”