Jimmy in pain?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Vickie
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Jimmy in pain?

Postby Vickie » Fri May 29, 2009 12:35 am

I had trouble getting Jimmy to come out and see me last night, and when he did, he kept stopping to pull at his private parts. He didn't want to play, he didn't eat, just went back to bed. Tonight, same thing, only he made little noises that sounded like he was in pain, and then would stop and pull at himself--this happened several times in just a few minutes. It looked to me like he pulling his little private part up so he could lick or chew it, but I didn't see any blood, nor did he look red and inflamed in that area. He won't let me hold him, just wants to hide. Jimmy is about 15 months old now, and he has his puffs.

Does this sound like something I should be concerned about? Or is this just hormonal behavior?
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Re: Jimmy in pain?

Postby DinNorman » Fri May 29, 2009 6:36 am

I would be concerned. Have him checked by a veterinarian who treats exoctics. Could be urinary obstruction, or infection. I dont think his hormonal "rush" would cause him to be that withdrawn or that concerned with his penile area.
David

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Fri May 29, 2009 7:12 am

This certainly sounds like a problem especially since he isolates and isn't eating.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Fri May 29, 2009 9:15 am

Thank you, Joan and David. I will get him to the vet.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri May 29, 2009 10:09 am

Let us know what the vet says.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Fri May 29, 2009 11:28 pm

We took Jimmy to see a vet with FS experience. Jimmy, of course, exhibited none of the behavior of last night I told the doctor about--he jumped, glided, ran and dove all around the room and in general looked quite alert, and was very vocal. After Dr. Barr finished his exam, he said Jimmy looked pretty healthy--his eyes were bright, his ears were clear, his weight was good (64 grams), he didn't have MBD, and the vet couldn't find a problem. He's not sure where Jimmy's discomfort is coming from (since he didn't observe it), but thinks maybe it has something to do with Jimmy's obvious sexual maturity. He gave us a little Metacam (NSAID)to dose him with when he appears to be uncomfortable. We gave Jimmy a dose this evening, and he's still being quiet, although he will pop up when I call him. He licked up some peanut butter with the medicine, and drank some water, and I heard him later working on the shell of something in his stash. He doesn't want to come out of his cage, so I guess we'll just keep an eye on him. Don't know what else to do for the little guy, since he doesn't want to be held or anything.

Vickie
NFSA Member

Re: Jimmy in pain?--update

Postby Vickie » Sat May 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Jimmy is still behaving like he doesn't feel well--not responding like he normally does. He is drinking water, pooping, and it looks like he peed on his food last night, ate a piece of almond from his dinner. The poopies I observed were smaller than usual, but then he's not eaten much of his dinner the last few nights. This morning he came out and sat in my hand and ate a little piece of walnut (his regular morning treat), then dove back into his overalls/nest. He popped up a little bit ago when I called him, and ate some peanut butter I had smeared on a piece of scrambled egg, and nibbled on the egg, too. He drank some more water and went back down in his overalls. It seems he is eating only his favorite things, but I don't know if that's significant, since we have a hard time getting him to eat his veggies anyway. He didn't grab himself, like the other night, while he was sitting in my hand.

Any ideas? Anything else we should be doing?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat May 30, 2009 2:28 pm

Seems like the vet thought he looked OK physically. He may be responding to your anxiety. Any chance he's masturbating?
Since he is eating and eliminating, I wouldn't worry.

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Sat May 30, 2009 4:04 pm

It is possible he was playing with himself. However, he's not acting like his happy little self. I will let him stay quiet again tonight, unless he acts like he wants to come out. Thanks, Joan.

legomom0701
NFSA Member

Postby legomom0701 » Sat May 30, 2009 6:48 pm

One thought would be to see if the vet will do a test on the stool. Could be something bothering him in his belly?
Never had a problem with Teddy, knock on wood, so I'm just throwing thoughts out there. Good luck! I hope
he's feeling like himself again soon.
Shanon, Teddy's HOF & Christine's Squammy
ImageImage
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/index.php

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Sun May 31, 2009 10:42 pm

Jimmy is back to normal tonight--running, playing, jumping on my face, tasting-and-tossing his dinner, being nosy, shirt diving, and in general all of the things he usually does in the evening. Don't know what was wrong, don't know if he just "got over it", or if it was the two doses of anti-inflammatory medication. We're just really glad he's okay. :D

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”