Can you help us?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

hilltopgirl
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Can you help us?

Postby hilltopgirl » Fri May 29, 2009 12:49 pm

I am new to this board and to the world of flyers in general, but I have a concern and need help from people who may know what to do! It looks like I may have posted my inquiry in the wrong place, so if you could check out my post with the same topic name in the general/messageboard intoduction area I would greatly appreciate it! Oh, I see now that I can edit, so I am moving the whole thing here with this........

In the wee hours of the morning on April 10th, my husband and I were introduced to our first flying squirrell thanks to our cat! We were awakened by some chirping, chattering and rowdy playing! When my husband got up to see what was going on, our cat had brought something in through the cat door and had it cornered on a shelf, but could not actually get to it. My husband said, " It's a hamster!" Being certain that our cat had not broken into someone's house and stolen their hamster, I got up to see what it was. After realizing what it was, I begged my husband to keep it at least until Sunday, which was Easter, so our grandkids could see it. He felt we needed to return it to the wild, but finally agreed, "Just until Sunday!" We put him in an old bird cage we had. Put him some raw peanuts, and sunflower seeds in there to eat and I put an old sock in there for him to sleep on instead of the bare metal floor. By the next day, he had made himself right at home, sleeping inside the sock and playing in the cage. Our 17 year old son started calling him Jerry and after speaking to some other people about it, they told us that many people kept flying squirrels as pets. Another friend told us he had one as a child that would ride around in his shirt pocket all day! I looked online and read a brief article about flyers bonding with "their" human, an thus began our love affair with Jerry.

In the 2 days that followed my husband had him out several times and the grandkids were blown away on Easter Sunday by the cute little critter peeking out at them from Grandpa's pocket and running all over his back, chest and even on the top of his head. Well Easter came and went and instead of returning him to the wild, my husband started making plans to build him a larger cage. Everything has been running very smoothly, until last week on Thursday the 21st. Prior to that, if you walked up close to his cage and started calling his name, he would come out and would even come out into my husbands hand. (He likes me OK, but not as much as Greg) He had never tried to bite anyone who held him or tried to pet him. That night, I was talking to him and trying to get him to come out with no response. So, I poked the sock a little to rouse him up and he started chattering and trying to bite me through the sock! I was shocked, so I left him alone and had Greg try later, and he still wouldn't come out, although he did not try to bite him. Before that night he would play and run up and down the sticks we had put in the cage for him and even swing on the swing that was in the bird cage, during the overnight hours, but that has stopped. He did finally peek out just a bit and Greg caught him and put him in his pocket, but he just stayed in there and did not come out and run all over him like he usually does.

We have pretty much left him alone since then, but I was concerned and found this site and after some reading, I am beginning to think Jerry may actually be Jerri! Because we found him/her in the wild and it appears to be the size of most of the adults in the pictures I have seen, we are not sure how old he is. We are also not sure of the sex, because since it was the only one we had, we were not really concerned about the breeding factor. At one time, when we first got him, I thought I had seen a small little penis or something sticking out when he peed. (I feel a bit silly, but don't know how else to say it) And now after reading on here about the behavior and what it might mean, I am afraid to move him/her or try to check more thoroughly to see which sex it might be.

From the time frame since we first got him, it has been about a week or so longer than what the 42 day gestation period would be, in the event it was already pregnant, so it could just be a female in heat I suppose. At this point, I do not want to disturb or agitate him/her, especially if there might be babies in there, but I don't want to just do nothing in case there is something else going on.

So I'm asking the experts.....do you think this is normal behavior because she is a female in heat or possibly pregnant, or could it be a male with some other problem? We have just now fallen in love with the little bugger and sure don't want to lose him/her! I can see from reading here that there is a lot to learn and things we need to do, but right now I am scared to do anything! Help!hilltopgirl

Private messageE-mail

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Can you help us?

Postby DinNorman » Fri May 29, 2009 1:03 pm

Can hardly believe that an adult, from the wild, would be so tame, so quickly. Sounds to me that you have a weanling youngster.
David

hilltopgirl

Postby hilltopgirl » Fri May 29, 2009 1:17 pm

I just really don't know what to think, David! We were very surprised that he/she became so easy to handle so quickly. I think that the body is probably about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long and the tail another 4-5 inches. About the size of a medium sized hamster. Is a weanling youngster, as you call it, old enough to be in heat? I feel so dumb about all of this, but he/she is just so cute and we have really fallen in love. If it isn't a female, what would cause a male to act like this. When Greg actually got him out of the sock and into his pocket there was no aggression there and we both were able to touch and rub him, but when I try to roust him up out of there, he will start chattering like crazy and try to bite me through the sock. This has been happening several times over the last few days. He has never tried to bite Greg, and he will sometimes peek out when Greg is talking to him, but will not come on out on his own.

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:50 pm

Hummmmmm? sounds like a female to me. i read in here that females sometimes bond better to their male HOFs than males do????? :wink:

hilltopgirl

Postby hilltopgirl » Fri May 29, 2009 1:56 pm

There is no doubt that Jerry has bonded more with Greg than me, but has always let me touch or pet him/her until the last week without biting. And even since then, as I said, it wasn't a problem once he was outside the sock. It is almost as if he/she is guarding the sock/bed area.

MiriamS
NFSA Member

Postby MiriamS » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Hilltopgirl, is there an update on Jerry? I hope things are going well one way or the other. I'm by no means an expert but I had a few ideas. If you provided a few additional sleeping areas, like a felt pouch, nest box, another sock, etc. then maybe your flyer wouldn't become as territorial about the single sock nest. I'm also curious about what time of day this is all happening during. My flyers definitely get out of sorts during the day. Is it any better after 10pm? Have you tried letting him come out on his own when only you are around and not Greg? Is the cage in a room where the cat cannot visit? I have read that cats can cause enough stress to a flyer to eventually lead to death.

I can wholeheartedly understand your instinct to keep the little darling. If you could bear it, another option would be to create a healthier habitat for Jerry outside of your house. Keeping Jerry caged for a while outside and then leaving the cage open would allow Jerry to come and/go as he pleases. If you posted feeders, you could probably create a flyer watering hole, since there are clearly wild flyers nearby.

Jerry was definitely lucky to have escaped your kitty unharmed. It seems likely that other flyers nearby might not have been so lucky and could need some loving care and attention. Perhaps you could hook up with a wildlife rehab organization and direct your attention that way, should you decide to set Jerry free. I would just love to see everyone benefit from this adoption arrangement and it seems sad to me that you suddenly can't. All of us HOFs know how amazing flyer petnership can be so I hope you are able to work something out to enjoy it to the fullest.

Here is a link to someone in Florida that rehabs flyers and has an outdoor habitat for them. Regardless of what you decide to do, it's fun to read through.
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/show ... hp?t=16249
-Miriam

Thoroughly whipped by Cocoa and Chip
Follow their adventures at:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/show ... hp?t=18153

hilltopgirl

Postby hilltopgirl » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Miriam...thank you so much for your concern about Jerry. Yes, there have been some changes. And right now, I feel pretty silly! I caught him out of the sock and on the side of the cage and was able to get a good look at his underneath side. He is definately not a girl! Then I saw him later in a bit of an awkward position, and when I checked closer, his claw was hung up in the fabric. I think maybe he was getting hung up inside there and couldn't get out. After reading on here a bit more, I caught him and brought him out and I snipped the tips off of his nails. He was a very good boy and didn't try to bite me once! Now that I think back, the only time he tried to bite was when he was inside the sock and couldn't see who was poking around. I also got him one of those edible hideway things that looks like a log and he has been spending a lot of time in there, too.

I do think the cat may have been part of the problem, too, because even tho we have Jerry in our bedroom and try to keep the cat out of there, I did catch him in there the other day eyeing the cage, although it is in a position where he cannot actually get to it. We have been much more diligent about keeping the cat out since then.

Everything seems to be pretty well back to normal! I am going to take your advice and get him another type of pouch or nesting box also, that is if we decide to keep him. I did quite a bit of reading on here after I wrote this post and I started to feel guilty that maybe him being wild was what the problem was and I was causing him to be miserable. The problem is that I cannot bear the thought of putting him out there and my cat or something else getting him. He is such a sweet little guy and now that those other problems have been dealt with, he just seems to be back to his happy little self. I guess from the other comment that David left, it must be unusual for wild flyers to take to people the way Jerry has. But even when I was cutting his toenails, he made no fuss about getting away from me! (I gave him peanut butter as a treat afterwards, and he ate it right off of my finger and LOVED it! ) But anyway, I guess I have some soul-searching and thinking to do about whether to keep him or not. I do know that there are others around, because the morning after we caught Jerry, we found another one outside our door that our cat had obviously brought as a gift for us. Unfortunately it was not as lucky as Jerry! I appreciate the ideas about a flyer watering hole. It is definately food for thought. Hopefully, I will be able to make the right choice.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:57 pm

[quote="hilltopgirl"]... And right now, I feel pretty silly! I caught him out of the sock and on the side of the cage and was able to get a good look at his underneath side. He is definately not a girl!

Don't feel silly, some HOFs have miss sexed their flyer for years. LOL he doesn't sound like pup. He must be over 12 weeks and is exceptionally calm for a wild flyer. Maybe he realizes ya'll saved him from the cat. I know of a fellow who was walking in Central park and had a flyer run up his pant leg and into his pocket. They can become pets in strange ways.

Then I saw him later in a bit of an awkward position, and when I checked closer, his claw was hung up in the fabric.... After reading on here a bit more, I caught him and brought him out and I snipped the tips off of his nails. He was a very good boy and didn't try to bite me once!

That's one unigue flyer you have! :D

Now that I think back, the only time he tried to bite was when he was inside the sock and couldn't see who was poking around.

The older they get,the less they like being bothered in the day time. They can really cuss you out for disturbing them. :wink:

I do think the cat may have been part of the problem, too, because even tho we have Jerry in our bedroom and try to keep the cat out of there, I did catch him in there the other day eyeing the cage, although it is in a position where he cannot actually get to it. We have been much more diligent about keeping the cat out since then.

Believe me, Jerry knows that cat is around and his instinct is to hide.

He is such a sweet little guy and now that those other problems have been dealt with, he just seems to be back to his happy little self. I guess from the other comment that David left, it must be unusual for wild flyers to take to people the way Jerry has.

It sure is unusual. No one's claiming to have lost a pet flyer in the neighborhood, have they?

But even when I was cutting his toenails, he made no fuss about getting away from me!

That's some kind of record right there.

But anyway, I guess I have some soul-searching and thinking to do about whether to keep him or not.

You can always let Jerry decide. Take him outside and see if he wants to leave you. If not, you've been adopted!
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

MiriamS
NFSA Member

Postby MiriamS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:17 am

I second what Joan said. If you were able to cut Jerry's toenails, you've got an incredibly cool flyer. Maybe that alone means you've been adopted by Jerry! It sounds like things have gotten better and I could totally understand your not being able to bear the thought of letting him go again. Plus, wildlife can develop special relationships with people and maybe Jerry isn't cut out for the wild. As long as he's got enough space and climbing/play time, I'm sure he'd live quite happily with you. Maybe it's time to invest in some flyer products? You can get a great set of flannel pouches and perches on ebay for about $20. Those edible huts are great but I bet he would probably love the options (and not getting stuck in a sock). Look up "sugar glider cage set" and you'll find a whole world of flannel fun.

It's great that you're trying to keep the cat out of the room now. I bet that was stressing him out because it sounds like your cat has a special appreciation for hunting flyers. It's fascinating that it keeps catching them. That's why they're supposed to stay in the trees! I wonder if your kitty is climbing and raiding nests. Do you think a toenail trim would protect the rest of the wild flyers from the kitty? I'd love to see a picture of Jerry to get a sense of age and what flying squirrel that lets you trim his toenails looks like!

As long as Jerry's happy and healthy and you're all enjoying this new relationship, don't beat yourself up about it. Like Joan said (she's the flyer Queen) you could take him outside and give him the option of being wild. I feel certain that Jerry would continue to bite and let you know he wasn't happy if that were the case. He sounds like an extremely well adjusted wild---->pet flyer, what with the way he interacts with you and your husband. Or as the NFSA folk would probably say, he's still wild and your the pets now! I'd say take it one day at a time and read up on keeping his surroundings and diet rich and stimulating. He'll let you know if something's amiss and conversely, if keeps eating peanut treats out in the open, you'll know he feels safe. But don't be surprised if he runs off with it one day and you later find it hidden in your undies. Keep us posted and have fun testing out other treats like pecans, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, blueberries, honeysuckle branches, dandelions, roses, etc. and enjoy your budding new relationship. :lover:
-Miriam

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:38 am

Yep, I agree. You have unknowingly become a HOF (Human Owned by a Flyer). Life will be a lot easier for you all if you just accept it and let Jerry get on with the business of training you. Jerry is now head of the household, and you and your hubby are allowed to live there as long as you make sure the meals are on time and include his favorites, provide a nice selection of nesting places, and aren't stingy with the in-shell pecans!

Might as well just sit back and enjoy the ride! Have fun :D

Judy C.

hilltopgirl

Postby hilltopgirl » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:40 am

Good morning, all! I just want to thank you guys for all the valuable info and encouragement! I have taken your advice and made a couple of new "beds" for Jerry. We had an old wooden cigar box that has been around forever that is about 5x5x8 and seemed to be about the perfect size for a sleeping quarters. I had Greg drill a hole in the end of it and since the top opens, it makes it easy to get into if we ever need to. It is pretty cool looking and unique! Also, I read somewhere that someone uses Crown Royal Pouches for nesting! What do you think about that? A while back, I ran across a bunch of them left over from our younger days! (We used to stash all kinds of things in them) I started to throw them away, but I just couldn't bear to do it! (LOL, it's tough getting old and growing up!) Anyway, I just stuck them back where they were. I have several in a couple of different sizes. Do you think they would work ok?

As for food, I got him some new fruit and nut treats that he seems to like pretty well. He also loves pecans. So far, I have only given him shelled ones, but I am going to get him some in the shell. What about hickory nuts? We have several trees in our yard, but they just seem so hard for him being so little. I know squirrels eat them in the wild, but I don't see how he could crack them. I'm sure he might surprise me! When you were talking about roses, did you mean the actual flower? Right now it seems peanut butter is his weakness! I have reserved that for special occasions! I think I could coax him into riding a motorcycle to the moon with peanut butter. mopedsmile:

As for pictures, up until now, all I had were on my phone. Greg would not let me take any with flash, because he was afraid of hurting his little nocturnal eyes! After seeing all the pics on here and other places, I think I convinced him that that was very sweet of him to be so careful, but obviously it is being done by others. Now I just have to figure out how to post them on here. I tried earlier without much luck. I guess ya'll can tell that flyers are not the only thing I am new at! I liked it better back in the old copy & paste days! Any hints would be appreciated, although I can't guarantee I will understand LOL :n00b:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:07 pm

[quote="hilltopgirl"].... We had an old wooden cigar box that has been around forever that is about 5x5x8 and seemed to be about the perfect size for a sleeping quarters.

I made one of those for the NFSA Chaplain, Fr. Carlos Sandoval, who lives in Miami. I got a box from Cuban cigars and drilled a hole like Greg did. It was really neat. You might want to get some clear polyurathane and paint in inside and out to protect from pee stains and whatever else he'll drag in there and hide. :wink:

... Also, I read somewhere that someone uses Crown Royal Pouches for nesting! What do you think about that?

I think these are Judy's favorite.

He also loves pecans. So far, I have only given him shelled ones, but I am going to get him some in the shell. What about hickory nuts? We have several trees in our yard, but they just seem so hard for him being so little.

Those little furball can chew through a Brazil Nut!

When you were talking about roses, did you mean the actual flower?

Yes, plus the hips that develop later.

Right now it seems peanut butter is his weakness! I have reserved that for special occasions!

That'll come in handy some day.

Any hints would be appreciated, although I can't guarantee I will understand LOL :n00b:

MiriamS can help you.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:08 pm

Yep - Crown Royal pouches are great, especially for the summer - not nearly as hot as fleece, but still a good place to snuggle down to sleep! I have even gone so far as to buy a huge bunch of them off eBay - Lord knows I couldn't drink enough to keep all these monsters in pouches!!!

Judy C.

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:05 am

Judy C. wrote:Yep, I agree. You have unknowingly become a HOF (Human Owned by a Flyer). Life will be a lot easier for you all if you just accept it and let Jerry get on with the business of training you. Jerry is now head of the household, and you and your hubby are allowed to live there as long as you make sure the meals are on time and include his favorites, provide a nice selection of nesting places, and aren't stingy with the in-shell pecans!

Might as well just sit back and enjoy the ride! Have fun :D

Judy C.

My husband, Michael, agrees with this. Congratulations with becoming a new HOF! Our first flyer, Chipper, came to us in a similar way. He was a tiny little think with his eyes just opened. We found him on our door step with our little dog. We don't know if one of the cats brought him up, but Gidget was there trying to mother him. He stole my heart and now he owns the master bederoom, including all the belongings, clothes and food he has me cater for him and his girlfriend, Cali! A good nights sleep all depends on if hubby and I provide satisfactory entertainment after midnight. I wouldn't have it any other way though. They have trained us well and I for one am thankful that we have been given such a special opportunity. I just melt when my little fuzzy gives me kisses and holds my hand. Just wait until Jimmy starts stashing nuts all over the place and on you and well.... in places you don't think a nut should be. That's a whole different story! I have little furballs giving me the look because I haven't let them out yet. I better be a good HOF and go play or I'll hear about it. :twisted:
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

MiriamS
NFSA Member

Postby MiriamS » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:04 am

Yes, everyone loves the pretty purple pouches! I know other people that just couldn't throw them out and now they all belong to Cocoa and Chip. We've made uploading photos to this site really easy. There's no pressure for you to show us photos of your new owner but if you have a digital camera, see if your new baby will let you take some photos. Transfer them to your desktop and when writing an NFSA post, click on the "Upload attachment" tab right below the writing field. Then just browse and select the image on your desktop and submit. If you have an older camera that uses film, it's still possible but a little more involved. You're welcome to email me for help at any time at nfsaphotos@comcast.net.

Keep us posted!
-Miriam

hilltopgirl

Postby hilltopgirl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks Miriam for the instructions! Couldn't have done it without ya!

Here are pics of our little Jerry! Isn't he a cutie? What is your best guess as far as his age?
Attachments
HPIM1513.JPG
HPIM1513.JPG (78.19 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
HPIM1511.JPG
HPIM1511.JPG (76.27 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
HPIM1510.JPG
HPIM1510.JPG (78.7 KiB) Viewed 2357 times

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:57 am

What a cutie! My heart just melted. Thanks for sharing the pictures. :D
Martie.....

Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.

Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:34 pm

hilltopgirl wrote:... What is your best guess as far as his age?

it's hard to tell when they are that big, but he doesn't look adult to me. Maybe juvie like David said.

MiriamS
NFSA Member

Postby MiriamS » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:06 am

No wonder you're hooked! Look at that precious picture of him peeking out of the pocket. I'm melting too.

Great job posting the photos! :multi:
-Miriam

hilltopgirl

Postby hilltopgirl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks guys, for all your encouraging comments!

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:34 pm

Congrats on Jerry very cute.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

MiriamS
NFSA Member