shylo's leg... rash?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

shylo's leg... rash?

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 pm

hello everyone.
about a month ago i first noticed that on the underside of shylo's back leg it appeared that there was some hair missing, and it was red. it is still red, and there are spots of hair missing. the skin is not just pink, but has distinct, tiny red marks on it. i can only see it when she is stretched out and i can see her underside. she has been acting normally, eating normally, etc. but her leg appears to have a rash or something. what do you think it is? is there anything i can do? (putting neosporin on it would be nearly impossible, as she will almost certainly not stay still while her back leg is outstretched and she is flipped over!) thanks for your help!
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Re: shylo's leg... rash?

Postby DinNorman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:05 am

I am puzzled as to what it might be, actually. Wouldnt hurt to massage in a tiny bit of antibiotic ointment(such as Neosporin) mixed half and half with Cortaid. If there are any pustules (pimple head-appearing) dont use the Cortaid..just antibiotic. Do it twice a day for a while if you are able.
David

hauk
NFSA Member

Postby hauk » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:45 am

Hi Alyssa: I have not heard from you in a while. Put on gloves and hold Shylo in the position you need and massage that area with Neo Sporin, After a few days rub baby powder on that area, It may be a simple rash that she is irritating. Tom

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Alyssa,

It may help to find out what's causing the rash. I'd check her nestbox and areas she plays in for anything she could be scraping it on. Is she licking it frequently, or scratching herself? Anxiety or boredom can sometimes cause them to lick or "Worry" a particular spot on their body.

Neosporin sounds like a good start to me, too. If you can hold her gently, try to apply it with a q-tip.
If you'd like to try something natural that won't affect her if she licks it off, pick up some Calendula lotion at an herb shop. I use it a lot on wildlife.
Calendula - Used as a lotion, this remedy speeds healing of cuts, grazes or open wounds, in addition to helping the animal to fight septic infection of such injuries.

peep
State and Federal permit holder

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:26 am

thanks everyone. i am going to attempt some flyer first aid in just a bit. neosporin it is. hopefully it will be successful!
i am also going to clean out her nestbox. i bought new cotton fluff for her just yesterday.
i have not noticed her obsessively cleaning that leg. it doesn't seem to bother her at all actually. it just bothers me... :?
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”