biting and aggression... help please... idk what to do

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

biting and aggression... help please... idk what to do

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:46 pm

the problem has gotten progressively worse. i previously have attributed her biting to hormonal issues. for the past 2-3 weeks, she has probably bitten me almost every single night. i have 5-6 fresh bites tonight so far. she does not just bite and release. she attacks. she bites, grips, and pulls and tears at my skin. this is often accompanied by war dancing. if i try a sharp "no" she will bite harder and attack more, and i am afraid she will go for my face. she comes to me on her own and then attacks me. i don't know what to do. it is so frustrating. there seems to be nothing particular that triggers it. please help. this is so terrible. :(
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: biting and aggression... help please... idk what to do

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Put her in a tiny time out space (mine is 11" L x 7" Wx 4 " H), leave the room and don't go back for 5 minutes. Release her and do the same thing if she attacks again. When she grabs you, press her to your chest and hold her there against you tightly until you can get get into "jail". Ignore the blood and bite until she is incarcerated.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Boy have I been in the same spot that your in except it doesn't take but one bite for me. I then let my husband deal with her. Some times I think she is just wanting me to know that she is "THE BOSS" or "LADY " of the house. She wins every time. I never know when our little lady is going to be sweet or be a :evilbat: . Don't get me wrong our little boy also can get moody. But so far he has not gotten into the biting. Just give her a few weeks and she will be your little sweetheart again. Good Luck
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:11 pm

Joan wrote:Put her in a tiny time out space (mine is 11" L x 7" Wx 4 " H), leave the room and don't go back for 5 minutes. Release her and do the same thing if she attacks again. When she grabs you, press her to your chest and hold her there against you tightly until you can get get into "jail". Ignore the blood and bite until she is incarcerated.

i want to try this, but i think i need protective gloves. shylo is extremely quick and she will continue to bite me if i try to restrain her. i work in health care, and i can't have bites all over my hands. any suggestions on gloves? :? during the daytime, she will poke her head out and let me pet her belly. this biting is only when she is fully awake at night.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:57 am

ladies dress gloves would work but i don't know how much they cost even for a cheap pair, or maybe tight garden gloves.

Good luck.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:53 am

voguemamselle619 wrote:... any suggestions on gloves? .

Heavy garden gloves should work. If you can get hold of gloves for shucking oysters, they are flexable and resist knife cuts.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:05 pm

Cheap gardening gloves from Wal-Mart worked fine for me with Barnie, up until she discovered she could slip up under the edge of the glove and bite me, and get that yelp she missed so much. However, Alyssa, there's a pretty good chance Shylo will revert back to "sweet girl" again, just as Barnie did. The Hormonal Wheel of Life will turn again. Meanwhile, try the time out (with the gloves).
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:52 pm

Welding gloves work wonders and they can't get to "your skin". My garden gloves are to easy for them to draw blood on me. LOL

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:28 pm

Need help also!
My sweet, loveable furball has turned into the devil reincarnate! I compare him to Dr. JeckIe and Mr Hyde. I have not changed soaps or anything else. He has been this way for about 3 or 4 months. Come to think of it...ever since his little boy 'stuff' has started showing. Now he is getting very nasty. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help!!!! I am not afraid of him... no matter what he has done, I still go in his bed after him knowing full well what the outcome will be...blood. I miss my snuggle buddy.
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:04 pm

It tends to pass. The first hormonal surge is the worst for males. Don't let him get away with it. Follow above suggestions.

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Our late Mr. Whiskers would be so sweet to turn and bite the heck out of me but never my husband. Just the girls would go after both of us but me the most. Now we have sweet "Mr. Linus" who ( knock on wood) has fathered our little ghost girl and he has never nipped or tried to bite anyone. I think some of them just have very mild ""MANNERS""? There are times when I think I need one of those shark suites made of mesh to go out to visit our now 4. But if I have goodies for all of them they will come up and get what ever I have and then go off to either hide or store it and might come back to see if I have more. If I don't I make my exit into the family room. LOL I for one DON"T like to get bitten or even nipped. LOL They all do have their good and bad times. GOOD Luck

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:16 pm

thanks...was worried I would have to turn him loose...and to me that is not an option. should I find him a girlfriend, would that make things better or worse. was reading other post where they were describing how big his 'puffs' were and Rocky's is almost as long as my thumb. he just turned a year old in sept. he has never been agressive to me unless I changed shampoo or bath :soapbox: and I was taking it personally. about how long does this :letitallout: last...forever? I have put him in timeout but that didn't help.
thanks for all the help. hope I can survive this phase..had 3 teenagers at the same time and that was a piece of :occasion6: compared to my poor baby's attitude.

I guess as they say...as this to shall pass. let's hope it is soon [-o<
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:07 pm

I really hope for your poor fingers that this does I wish I could help I call Venette Walker and ask her about It maybe she can shed some light on this subject. Oh by the way gwsgrand fun fact, shark suits are maid of out of chainmail It's a bunch of chain links fashioned into a suit designed to re-direct the sharks teeth and perry the blow a bit :D

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:41 pm

Rockyamom wrote:... should I find him a girlfriend, would that make things better or worse.

Won't change this initial hormonal surge.

was reading other post where they were describing how big his 'puffs' were and Rocky's is almost as long as my thumb.

As my vet says ... "They are hung like goats". :twisted:

about how long does this :letitallout: last...forever?

No, it'll pass, but it always seems longer than it really is.

I have put him in timeout but that didn't help.

You have to do it over and over and over and over.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:18 am

Doe's this hormone stage last for months or weeks and how old do they get It. I thought that girls got It worse than boys.

R.I.P Taz

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:06 am

this has been going on for about nearly 6 months now with Rocky. Has this happened that long for anyone else's sweet baby. I miss my loving and kisses...especially my kisses in the middle of the night when he wants to snuggle.
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:12 pm

That is a long time ... it should be over. A tiny few do continue with the behavior. As a last resort, neutering is a possible cure, but there is always danger of death. Read everything her on neutering before you take that course.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”