please help

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

sultry412006
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

please help

Postby sultry412006 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:03 am

my flyer needs help. One day one of my cats brought me a present a flyer. Dont know how old he is. But he seems to lean one way. His head even leans and he just cant seems to get himself to walk straight. If anyone has any sugestions please let me know. He eats very well and loves to be held.
Attachments
new pet fluffy 008.JPG
new pet fluffy 008.JPG (101.01 KiB) Viewed 6952 times

Judy C.

Re: please help

Postby Judy C. » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:30 am

sultry412006 wrote:my flyer needs help. One day one of my cats brought me a present a flyer. Dont know how old he is. But he seems to lean one way. His head even leans and he just cant seems to get himself to walk straight. If anyone has any sugestions please let me know. He eats very well and loves to be held.

How long have you had your flyer? Has he always had this 'lean', or has it started recently? What is his diet? Can he climb OK? Does he jump at all? Did you put him on any antibiotics after the cat caught him? Cat saliva can be deadly to a flyer. The leaning could be a number of things, from an ear infection to neurological trama. Please answer the above questions, so that we can help you better. (And Welcome to NFSA!)

Judy C.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:12 pm

A don't know if flyers are legal in your state you may want to check on that but. I would think about taking him to a vet that worked on flyers before or at least sugar gliders. Like Judy said it's probably neurological trama, and yes you should make sure that he's on antibiotics.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:41 pm

I have had my flyer for about 2 weeks. He has always had the lean since we had him. some days it seems worse than other. He is eating a pariot berry mix food. sunflower seeds, pumkin seeds. Apples he loves them. I just started to give him yogart today. He ate a few bite of it. Yes he does climb up and down on the limbs in his cage. I have not seen him jump at all. We have not put him on any medication at all yet. Here is some more of the answers to your questions thanks so much for replying.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:56 pm

It sounds to me like he's suffering from trama, and he needs that exercise to keep him healthy. The right side of his brain must have been damaged or something. Try talking to a vet about a physical work out you can give him to get him back on track. I don't know if there is anything you can do for him, but are going to want to get him on the antibiotics right away and stimulate activity, oh yea and see a vet. Good luck.

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Amoxicillin, but the vet might know. Oh if you get an x-ray done you may have a better idea what's wrong.

R.I.P Taz

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:13 pm

Thanks to the replies i appriciate them and thanks. I am going to do my best with him. My family has so much fun with him. Thanks again. I will let you know how he does.

Wanda
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Wanda » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 pm

I have had so many little rehabs come in with the exact symptoms from a cat bite.
What is was is the cat had bitten them along the spine.
Check him carefully for bite wounds along the spine.
It is a must to get him on an antibiotic, Baytril or SMZ/TMP within 24
hours of the bite.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:17 pm

From the picture you posted, he appears to be an older juvenile or adult. I'm very surprised that you are able to handle him - wild flyers are very defensive, even at 5 wks old.

After 2 weeks of the condition, I think you should have him examined by a vet, or a wildlife rehabber.

Animals with trauma injuries should be allowed to rest in a dark quiet room, plenty of fresh water and good quality diet with calcium & vit. D suppliments. The more they are handled/disturbed, the less likely the animal will recover.

Wanda has a strong point about antibiotics - puncture wounds can seal up on the outside, while abscessing on the inside, and the animal will die of a massive infection.
peep
State and Federal permit holder

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:33 pm

I have known flyers with this condition to do well once initial traumas are resolved. They will often carry a pecan in their mouth to balance the head when they run on a wheel. Wanda, Judy and Peep are all experienced rehabbers.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:44 am

My advice would be the same. Amoxicillin for 5-7 days and tincture of time to resolve the neurological trauma; and lots of TLC.
David

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:01 pm

We are so very surprised also that he will let us handle and love on him. Since he looks to be a older flyer. Yes we havea rather large cage that he in and he seems to love a box. So i made him a box house and he has this very soft material for a blanket that he loves to curl up in and i keep it rather dark for him to rest. We are starting him on antibiotics today hoping that it will help. I will post more later on how well he does. Thanks for all your help. I just love this website.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:04 pm

These little guys know when you are trying to help and even adults will often not bite a caretaker who even has to do painful things to help them.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:11 pm

These little guys know when you are trying to help and even adults will often not bite a caretaker who even has to do painful things to help them.

Then there are some down-right bad tempered ingrates in Texas!!! :evilbat:
signed,
Bloody Fingers Peep

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Peep that goes for Alabama too. Hope you can make it to Al. in Feb. Would love to see you again. Judy that goes for you two also. We need rehabbers who really know what and how to do things to give us a round table discussion about what to do for not only flyers but for any animal that comes our way. You can bring your babies with you. Just please don't bring a snake. :twisted:

I sure hope your new little one gets well very fast. They sure do know how to steal your heart. Sounds as if your new addition to the family might just have started training you. LOL
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:40 pm

thanks all for your replies this is the husband we had him checked by vet and put on antibiotics we will see were that goes. he eats well and likes to play hide n seek in wifes shirt lol he shows no sign of aggression yet but will keep in mind. he will sleep in my pocket and we let him loose in the bathroom he runs around granted only left turns but seems to have fun. just got concerned he seemed to be low on energy that night hopefully the antibiotics will help he is more enegetic tonight. we love loving him and having the addition to the family were he is loved and cared for.

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Well are little flyer now has been on antibiotics for a couple days he seems to gain his energy but still seems to want to lean. Not as much but some still a little bit he seems to be able to climb little better now. Still as loveable as ever though. He does reconize me as the main person to care for him. But he loves everyones attention. He has been a bundle of joy to have around. Well just wanted to let you know how he is doing. Thanks to all of you for your comments.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:44 pm

See he's already doing better, it's going to go a little slow but he should recover at least a little maybe even allot of his regular functions, depending of course on how much damage the cat actually did. You know if there guys where the giant flying squirrels we would be talking about cat's getting flyer bit :twisted:

R.I.P Taz

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:56 pm

yeah well maybe it would teach the cats a leason. If we had giant flyers. My cats just dont seem to want to give up of trying to get him. But he dont get to get out of his cage unless the cats are outside. we protect him alot my husband get parinoid when he is out he is scared he is going to get away in the house and get lost. But i know that wont happen because he wont run far from anyone when they have him. I never dreamed of having a flyer in my life but now i do i love it. As i was growing up i use to raise all kinds of wild animals. I was always bringing them home and my dad would make a cage for them for me i am a country girl all the way.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:04 pm

I always wanted to live on a farm so I could have animals. I have however when I was a kid kept chicks(baby ducks) lol,in my garage in my home which by the way was in town, and I've also had ducks out at my dad's work place so I haven't been totally deprived of barn yard animals :)

R.I.P Taz

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Yeah i was way out in the country i was raised in michigan. On a farm. But i have had baby squirrels, skunks, racoons, crows, all kinds of birds. I am just a animal person. Always have been always will be. so how many flyers do you have?

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Two Kobie and Taz, Kobie is 4 to 5 months old and Taz is like 9 or 10 weeks I think. I loose track. What are squirrels like, I don't know what the flyers larger cuzes are really like.

R.I.P Taz

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:52 pm

squirrels the rugular type are kinda like the flyers. The one i had was a grey squirrel and he was maybe about 2 or 3 months when i found him. He was really cool. I had a cage for him that i kept him in when i was gone when i was home he was always with me. He even slept inside my pillow case at night. He spent most of his time on my shoulders. He loved when i went bike riding he would ride right by my kneck. If i put him on the floor he would follow me every where. He was cool his name was sparky. I would love to find a female flyer to go with my male i have. So how long have u had your flyers? They are so much fun aren't they.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:25 am

peep wrote:

Then there are some down-right bad tempered ingrates in Texas!!! :evilbat:
signed,
Bloody Fingers Peep

I said usually Peep ... there's no accounting for Texas flyers. :twisted:

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:10 pm

Just want to give u all a up date on are flyer (fluffy). He is doing great. He is starting to walk better. Still recovering but atleast we know he is doing better. Everyday he gets to be more of a pleasure to have as a new addition to our family. I did try the thing where u put honey on your finger. Wow he just loves it. So when u pick him up he knows he is in for a treat. Most of all its so much fun to play peek a boo games. I sure would love to have a mate for him. I am sure it would be so much fun. Does anyone know where i could get a mate for fluffy at? If so please let me know thanks so much for all your help on getting fluffy better. :B-fly:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:37 am

If you want to keep him bonded and happy ... don't get a mate. He couldn't care less. You are his favorite thing and he enjoys watching you jump thru hoops for him. A second flyer can put you second. :twisted:

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:02 am

i didn't think honey was a good thing for flyers...joan, could you chime in on this for me.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:55 am

Honey in formulas for very young pups can be deadly. It doesn't seem to hurt older flyers, but feed's their "sugar" addiction. Some folks have said it seems to calm their flyer kind of like Ritalin for a hyperactive child, I think it's all an act by the furball to get the sweet and that later they become a Jack Russell on cafeine and a sugar high. :twisted:

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:08 am

Honey in formulas for very young pups can be deadly. It doesn't seem to hurt older flyers, but feed's their "sugar" addiction. Some folks have said it seems to calm their flyer kind of like Ritalin for a hyperactive child, I think it's all an act by the furball to get the sweet and that later they become a Jack Russell on cafeine and a sugar high.

So right!

I do use honey when they're in their "ugly" moods, but sparingly. It does act as a tranquilizer in small doses. Never on an infant, though.

Getting him a companion will occupy him when you don't have time to play with him, or if you are away from home quite a lot, but he will bond with his companion and give less attention to you. Most often single pet fliers are perfectly happy owning a human all to themselves.

Because you have decided to make him a pet, PLEASE take every precaution to keep him safe. Place a child-proof lock on the cage, only let him out in a well sealed room, cover glass doors and mirrors (they can glide into them and suffer serious injury) and keep bathroom doors and toilets closed at all times. The number one cause of death for pet fliers is DROWNING IN A TOILET!

Best of luck with your little Fluffy, may he bring you many years of love and joy.
peep

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:17 pm

I only give him a drop on my finger of honey when i get him out of his cage and after he takes his medicine. He seems to know if he dont fight his medicine he will get the drop of honey. Well when he gets out he is only under very close supervision. He does not get to just run unless he is in the bathroom with the door closed and toilet lid down. And as far as getting a mate if he is totally happy without i rather not get one then. Because i am home all the time and he gets lots of attention from me. So thanks on that thought. And yes i am sure we are going to have plenty of years of enjoyment with him. Thank to you all.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:54 pm

Try mixing the honey drop with some yogurt to get the live culture in him. Any antibiotics can cause diarrhea so keep an eye on his stool.

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:47 am

:) Update on fluffy he is now done with his medicine and has more energy than what i know what to do with. He seems to have adjusted well and is such a pleasure to have in our family. Hoping we get many years of fun with him. He just loves going in the bathroom and running through the towels in a basket. And in and out a shirt playing peek a boo. Thanks to all of you with your comments i am sure thats why fluffy is still with us Thanks. =D>

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 pm

:( So sorry to announce that fluffy has taken a turn for the worse. He is no longer with us but i did enjoy him why he was here. I would love to find another one. But i do want to thank you all for your help. He will be missed but never forgotten. The parents of fluffy. :lover:

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Awwwww, I'm so sorry he didn't make it!!! You should feel good about doing your best to save him.
HOF to Ziggy

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:00 am

So sorry. he joins a lot of friends over the rainbow bridge. And a HOF or two are looking after them all.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”