worried: new flyer not eating much

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

mobius1
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

worried: new flyer not eating much

Postby mobius1 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Hello all,

I recently adopted a 5 year old female flyer from a local pet store (her name is Phobos). She is the result of a fairly unsuccessful breeding attempt by the shop and has not been handled much at all.

I brought her home four days ago and placed a variety of nuts, fresh fruit, vitamin enhanced dried fruit for small mammals, parrot pellets, and fresh vegetables in her cage. Right away she ate a sliced almond and then retreated to her nesting box. That night I took her out and placed her on my shirt. She was very brave and climbed around me for a while before curling up behind my neck, under my hair (I have long hair) for a couple of hours. She was obviously frightened but also curious.

The next day I noticed that she hadn't eaten any more food so I decided to let her have a day or so to explore her cage without me bugging her. she didn't eat anything the second day or night. In the morning of the third day I put her on my shirt again and let her go to sleep behind my neck. She slept there all day as I went about my business making food, and watching some movies. Every couple of hours I would put a small piece of pecan or a blueberry by her to she if she would eat but she only sniffed it and went back to sleeping. Around dusk that night I woke her up and put her back in her cage by the food. She climbed around her cage for about five minutes and then went back into her nesting box without touching any food. I left the room for a few hours and when I returned I noticed that some of the food had been disturbed but nothing was eaten. I took a small piece of walnut that she had moved across the cage and put it in the opening of her box. A few seconds later she grabbed it and gobbled it up. This was the last thing she has eaten. I'm very worried that she isn't eating nearly enough.

Could it be the stress of a new home after being at the pet store for so long? She is slightly scared but has very little problems with being handled and loves sleeping on my neck and under my shirt. How long before this is a serious problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Steve

Judy C.

Re: worried: new flyer not eating much

Postby Judy C. » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:48 pm

Congratulations on your new flyer. She probably is rather traumatized by her new home, but I agree, she needs to start eating. What was she being fed at the pet store? Maybe you could get a supply of it and use it to slowly introduce a better, more varied diet. See if she will try avacado or sugar snap peas - mine are all pushovers for both of them. Also encourage her to try yogurt - mine like Dannon Natural Vanilla. Just be sure NOT to get fat free or 'lite' yogurt, and DO NOT get anything with artificial sweeteners. Is she drinking water OK? That's as important, if not more so, than eating.

I'm sure there will be many more people on soon to give more advise.

Judy C.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Give her a chance to get used to her new home. Try a little peanut butter to see if she's eating that. No telling what she got in the pet store and she may not be used to good food.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

mobius1

Postby mobius1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:24 am

I got home tonight after letting Phobos relax without me and she had eaten half of a blueberry and some carrot. The pet store was feeding her gerbil food and parrot mix. She was already more active and played with me and my girlfriend for a half hour or so before we put her back in the cage(climbing on us and even jumped from her to me once). Tomorrow I will try some yogurt and peanut butter as a treat. Thank you so much for responding. Might not be out of the woods yet though......I'll post again tomorrow if things aren't better or worse.

mobius1

Postby mobius1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:32 am

oh and she seems to be drinking fine......at least she has pee'd on me enough to make me think that she's getting plenty of fluid......

mobius1

Postby mobius1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Well...today she had eaten some sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, a chunk of pecan, half a walnut, some carrot, and a whole blueberry. I moved her food dish to the top of her nesting box. I think that helped a lot.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Be sure you introduce her to dark green veggies.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

mobius1

Postby mobius1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:10 pm

I have been putting small pieces of broccoli in the dish but she hasn't touched them. Also, I've been putting in halfed pea pods (not sure if you would consider that a dark green veggie though.) What else should I try? Maybe some spinach or swiss chard?

CatStina
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby CatStina » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:45 pm

First of all, welcome aboard and congrats of you new flyer! Now, on to business, hehe. I don't know if it would work because she may just lick it off, but you could try putting some peanut butter on the broccoli to get her to eat it. I think spinach is fine, I don't know about swiss chard. I would check here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2931 it has a list of all the foods that are known to be ok and all the foods that are known to be bad.

Good luck!

Edit: The list says spinach, collard greens, kale, mustard and turnip greens are ok. I'm sure that means swiss chard would be fine as well.
~t Christina j~
Loving Squammy of Emo (RIP, 3/17/2006-6/15/2012)

Mom to Bowie the Fat Cat, Ziggy the Tiny Cat, Saxon the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Neljä and Viisi the gerbils

mobius1

Postby mobius1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I will take a look at the list and get her eating some good stuff.:)

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:20 pm

Just a reminder. Once she starts eating regularly be sure to have her open her own pecans, hickories, etc. to help keep the teeth worn and prevent overgrowth. Doesnt sound like she was doing any of that in the pet store.
David

lilbitsquirrely
Baby Flyer

Postby lilbitsquirrely » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:14 pm

:multi: congrats. on your precious little girl .She needs added calcium =D>

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”