Nipping Flyer!

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Kittkat92
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Nipping Flyer!

Postby Kittkat92 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:14 pm

So my little flyer is 4 months old now! From the time we got him two months ago up until now he has been a nipper :? I've posted on his biting before and I've tried the whole time-out thing and scolding. Neither of these seems to work! He has never bitten me hard enough to draw blood, but he has done that to both of my parents. I'm not quite sure what to do about it, but the thing that confuses me more is that he seems to be taunting me whenever I scold him! If I say sharply "No biting!" he gives me this little look like hes laughing on the inside and continues his nipping. And there will definitely be no finger wagging at him ( [-X ) because if he sees this he will try to grab and nip my finger! So, the question is: Do I ignore his nipping and hope he gets over it, or do I try another method? If you have any ideas please let me know! :D ~ I'm also kind of worried that I'm not interacting enough with him.. He's usually out of his cage for about 1.5-2 hours a night, but most of this time is spent exploring so I just sit and read. Is he still bonding with me if I do this or do I need to actually sit and play with him? Lots of questions, I know! I'm glad I have you guys here to help me out 8-[

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Nipping Flyer!

Postby Joan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:14 pm

Kittkat92 wrote:... Neither of these seems to work!

The secret is consistent and continual

Kittkat92 wrote:... ut the thing that confuses me more is that he seems to be taunting me whenever I scold him! If I say sharply "No biting!" he gives me this little look like hes laughing on the inside and continues his nipping. And there will definitely be no finger wagging at him ( [-X ) because if he sees this he will try to grab and nip my finger!

He thinks this is a game

Kittkat92 wrote:... So, the question is: Do I ignore his nipping and hope he gets over it,

No, ignoring it will make it worse.

Kittkat92 wrote:... or do I try another method?

Keep trying ... isloation for nipping may work best with him.

It's hard to believe how much those needle-like tiny teeth can hurt when a rambunctious pup nips you -- and of course the "hurt" potential and drawing blood increases as the flyer gets older. You are right to be concerned. Let me help by explaining a bit about pup socialization and offer you first steps to take to curb biting ways.

One of the most important lessons a pup learns from his mother is how to to control the intensity of a bite. This is called bite inhibition and in the litter, if the pup bites while nursing, the mother will nip them or stand up and walk away, taking the breakfast buffet with her.

The mother isn't the only one who teaches a pup not to bite. When pups are playing with their siblings, if a pup gets wound up and bites too hard, the sibling will jump up and yelp. She may leave the game as if to say, "Don't do that! That hurts!" The pup soon learns if he wants the fun game to continue, he cannot bite too hard.

Now it's your turn. When your pup bites, loudly say, "Ouch!" or "No". This lets him know that biting is not okay. Don't jerk your hand away if he has his teeth on you because this could tear your skin. (You can push you finger into the mouth rather than pulling out, making it uncomfortable if he holds on.) Instead show that just as with a pup's mom and siblings would do, you are going to retreat from the game if he bites. Behaviorally, this is a timeout from what he wants -- time and attention from you.

Another method to use is pressing you flyer against your chest in a restraint hold until he calms down, Then carry out the other conscquences of time out and leaving him alone.

During your play sessions, work on teaching a pup to respond to the word "easy" as you say it quietly and gently. You can give him some food rewards for gentle play. Keep in mind that while nipping a person is not acceptable, pups do need to chew as a part of the teething process. Make sure your's has access to safe chewy things.

It's great that you are working on training your pup, but all measure have to be consistent and continual. Don't give up. If you are bitten ... leave him alone or put him back in his cage and leave the room.

Kittkat92 wrote:... I'm also kind of worried that I'm not interacting enough with him.. He's usually out of his cage for about 1.5-2 hours a night, but most of this time is spent exploring so I just sit and read. Is he still bonding with me if I do this or do I need to actually sit and play with him?

I'd play with him. Letting him leap off you and calling him back. Playing hide and seek, etc.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

violetlady
NFSA Member

Re: Nipping Flyer!

Postby violetlady » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:59 am

Ziggy is about 9 to 10 months old. He too tends to be a nipper but is doing it much less than he did. He has recently started humping my hand & tries to latch on with his feet (sharp nails) & teeth. I viewed the earlier nipping as play & consistently corrected him by sharply & immediately saying NO BITE. I would at the same time flick my finger. I'm basically following the same steps with the humping behavior. He's not as persistent with it as he was when playing. He is not a cuddle bunny, but he often runs across us if we're sitting in our easy chairs during his exploratory treks. His favorite thing is to use us as a human tree if we're standing, & has never nipped in that circumstance. Another favorite activity is when he gets on the tallest piece of furniture & waits for one of us to stand a few feet away so he can fly to us.
HOF to Ziggy

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”