Hair loss on my fuzz balls tail

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

SugarPuff
NFSA Member

Hair loss on my fuzz balls tail

Postby SugarPuff » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:07 pm

Hello everyone. I haven't been on in a while but want to report that Sugar Puff is as sweet as always.
Need to ask a queston though and I hope someone has an answer. She has lost a lot of hair on the top of her little tail. You can see the skin on the top of her little tail and it looks like it is growing larger. All of the rest of her hair is beautiful and shiney. I at first thought that she was pulling it out to try and make her a nest. She has a lot of kleenex in her house but thought she might have thought she needed to add some hair. However it has not grown back yet. It has been like that for probably 6 months now. I wonder if she needs something else in her diet but I don't know what. If anyone has any information, please let me know.

Thanks,

Nolan
Nolan, Mildred and SugarPuff

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Hair loss on my fuzz balls tail

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:42 pm

I've seen this happen when they scrape the tail getting in and out of a nest box.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:04 pm

I have had this happen to several of my flyers from time to time. I never have pin-pointed the reason for it, but it has always grown back in just fine, usually with the next molt. So I don't worry about it any more other than to think 'well, here we go again'. Nothing I have tried has ever made a difference - just wait it out.

Judy C.

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby DinNorman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:04 am

My Pearl loses the hair along the tail bone every year..almost the entire length. It is evidently part of her moult as there is no problem associated with it. It will fill back in each fall but by late winter or early spring it thins away..only on the top line of her tail bone.
David

SugarPuff
NFSA Member

Postby SugarPuff » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Thank everyone for their responses to my query. I didn't think it was serious as she is full of life and happy. Except yesterday. Her cage needed cleaning bad so I talked her into getting into her little pouch and then I put her in a little critter carrier that has a small cardboard house in it for her. That is where she rides when we go on vacation. Well, she was not a bit happy. She tried to gnaw her way out of the metal cage. I put my hand down near her to try and calm her down but she reached her little arm out and tried to grab my finger and pull it closer. I knew what she wanted so I didn't get close enough for her to bite me. She calmed down after a while and after her cage was clean I put her back in and she was happy. She loves her cage and her house.

I went to the pet store and bought her some meal worms. She loves them. Does everyone give their little squirrels worms? I thought maybe she needed more protein to make her hair grow back in her little tail. I don't now if it is going to help the hair but she does love to eat those worms.

Thanks again,

Nolan and SugarPuff
Nolan, Mildred and SugarPuff

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”