Squirrel Attacks - Help!

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

trygon
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Squirrel Attacks - Help!

Postby trygon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi All,

We have a 1 year old little fireball named Holly. Who we love despite the following.

In late July/Early February we believe she entered her first estrous and became aggressive with us. February, March, April, she became progressively worse - war dancing and nipping turning into full on attacks and repeated biting. Now its June, and any night she is out and our guard is down can and usually dose end in puncture wounds and bleeding hands. Tonight, my girlfriend broke down after a particularly viscous attack.

During the day Holly is the model of a cute harmless loving squirrel, sleeping in cupped hands and wanting her cheeks and ears pet. At night she is obviously still imprinted on us, wanting to be on us and follow us around. But at night she is also scary. Any interaction with her through her cage and she chuckles and war dances, outside the cage she will play for a while, but sooner or later will launch attacks - sometimes with obvious intentionality. We worry about her going for our faces and necks.

As I said, we love our little squirrel... but this is getting really hard. How can we make this better? Any attempt to be around her more, or to reprimand her for misbehaving has ended in attacks and bleeding. Will this just end suddenly as her hormones cool down? I hope it will!

Please advise us. We could use a supportive word or two.

Thanks
- Sam and Linda

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Squirrel Attacks - Help!

Postby Joan » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Sam & Linda:
I wish I had a magic answer. Hopefully others who have had this problem will post. Is it both of you she attcks or mainly one of you? I have know one-person flyers who with attack everyone but their "favorite". You might try getting out a Misting bottle and drenching her as she prepares for an attack or does attack.

Joan
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:50 pm

When this first started, had anything changed? Different foods, different soap or smell of any kind? Different cage location? They can definately get mad and hold a grudge, but it doesn't usually last this long. We started having trouble with my husband's dog a while back. Ordinairly she is devoted to him, and never leaves his side, but she started leaving the living room and going off to sleep in the bedroom closet while we were watching TV. (Either a statement about our choice of TV programs or our choice of deoderant!!!) We finally figured out that the remote earphones that he got (he is hard of hearing and was keeping the volume too high) were making a buzz or noise of some sort that bothered her. When the TV isn't on, she enjoys the living room with us - for the time she chooses to sleep in the closet, we put her a nice comfy bed in there!

I have a fan in the flyer room, The first one I got worked very well, but it apparently made a sound that drove the flyers crazy. They got fussy, their appetite dropped off, and they got mad at me every time they saw me. I finally figured out what was wrong, got a diferent fan, and everything was fine again.

You may or may not find a reason for her change....it may just be the way she wants to act now. I agree with Joan - try the spray bottle of water, try 'time outs' in a small cage, try anything you can think of! I hope you get it figured out.

Judy C.

trygon

Postby trygon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:48 pm

We picked up some tough gloves today so that we can continue to interact with her outside the cage. I'm hoping that if we can have her out more, without being so afraid of getting bit, she might come around. We can have her bite and then put her in a time out box, training without all the bandaids.

As far as something that changed - I would say her. She went through her first estrous in January or February and her mood change then has carried all the way through now. Cage, decorations, diet, location, everything... has remained largely constant. But not being able to be around her much all these months - I'm concerned we are becoming estranged.

Of course, in daylight, she cuddles and looks at us with those big beautiful eyes. So... not really sure what to make of all this.

Could all this just be a big prolonged hormonal rage??? Thats certainly what it feels like.

Thanks for your comments,
any other thoughts appreciated.
- Sam

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:11 pm

trygon wrote:We picked up some tough gloves today so that we can continue to interact with her outside the cage.

Good plan! I am getting me some of these http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Weight-Kevl ... B000IGGBX6
as I have a young female and plan to be prepared. LOL

trygon wrote:I'm hoping that if we can have her out more, without being so afraid of getting bit, she might come around.

Try daily massages as strange as it seems. She will grow to love them and you will be able to do it gloveless at some point.

trygon wrote:... As far as something that changed - I would say her. She went through her first estrous in January or February and her mood change then has carried all the way through now. Could all this just be a big prolonged hormonal rage??? Thats certainly what it feels like.

I bet you're right!

trygon wrote:Of course, in daylight, she cuddles and looks at us with those big beautiful eyes. So... not really sure what to make of all this.

Probably not awake enough to attack! :twisted:

Good luck Sam and let us know hpw things go for you
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

flyingacee
Baby Flyer

Postby flyingacee » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:01 pm

My female used to be so sweet and now she's been attacking me the last couple of years. She just turned six. She really attacks me after I get out of the shower probably because of the soap or shampoo smell. The other day I used a different hand soap and she was as friendly as could be and couldn't stop smelling my hands. I usually use things without too much fragrance. I also moved a couple of years ago and I didn't know if that was the reason or she was just getting older.

chris69susan77

Postby chris69susan77 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:37 pm

For the last month our female Southern Flier was been attacking and bitting unexpectedly. I usually say no loudly and firmly and spray her with water. If it gets too bad I will clip her teeth (they are like our finger nails and grow back quickly). I know she doesn't like not having teeth to chew on nuts and other hard objects but the way I see it her teeth are a weapon and when not used responsively and bites for no reason, they are taken away from her. She eats mostly fruits and other soft foods during this time. Also after a bite she gets a full day in a small cage without a pouch, just food & water. Usually the next day she is back to being an angel. If anyone else knows why she has becoming so aggressive please offer feedback. I bought her at Helen's Little Critters and they are no help at all. They never return my calls and unless you are looking to give them money they do not care about you after the sale!!!!

optilady

Postby optilady » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Hello Sam and Linda
I too am having trouble with a mean 3yr. old male. He started out about
a year ago just attacking my husband. Now for the past 5or6 months its been me, my husband will no longer go in Rocky's room. I believe it may be because I am working longer hours and can no longer spend an hour with him playing every night. We have cats that we keep away from him, but he has free run of a spare room plus his cage. We were very well bonded the first 2 years.Now he gets angry over nothing. Within 2 minutes of going into his room he begins attacking, raising my voice to say no makes him even madder, and he will go for my face. I am considering giving him to a rehabber so he can be turned loose. He is no joy to have anymore. He too is sweet in the morning when I go in to say hi and rub his face, but he's half asleep. He has torn me up pretty good, and I am at the end of my rope. Please inform me of any rehabbers in the Tampa area.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:34 pm

optilady wrote:... Please inform me of any rehabbers in the Tampa area.

Check out this site: http://www.wildcarebayarea.org/site/Doc ... cID=381#fl Someone close may know someone not on the list who takes flyers.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”