Escaped!

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Shannonriver
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Escaped!

Postby Shannonriver » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:25 pm

My daughter didnt close our front door all the way & I cant find Finn & worried sick he got OUT! I have been searching for him for over 3 hours. He usually comes when I call him or chirps...............nothing. Ive got all 3 out my cats locked in the bathroom. I have set his cage by the front door in hopes he will return to it.
Do they do that? So upset know I wont be getting any sleep tonite.
Shannon :(

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Escaped!

Postby Joan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:41 am

You have done the right thing. He may return to his cage. He won't come back at night, but check in the day time. Does he have a place he sleeps in the house besides his cage. If mine get in the closet, I may never find them until they want to be seen. Put his food and water out near where his cage was and sprinkle flour around it so you can see paw tracks if he comes to it. If there are tracks, move his cage back to it's usual place and he'll eventually return to it.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6221
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Shannonriver
Baby Flyer

Postby Shannonriver » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:49 pm

He got out & was out ALL NIGHT! The ONLY reason we found him, we heard our 90+yo neighbor hollaring at him & trying to knock him off her house with a broom! She succeeded he went flying and scampered up a tree & FROZE! My son had to climb the tree & get him down. I think he was quite traumatized, he hasnt left my shirt ALL day! He has been such a sweet cuddler & giving my kisses all day. :roll: :D
Just SO happy he is safe.
Thanks,
Shannon

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:52 am

Glad he is safe and home! You are VERY lucky. :multi:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Shannonriver
Baby Flyer

Postby Shannonriver » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:41 am

It is with a heavy heart I write this post, this morning I woke up to find my Finn McKool had gotten into our bathroom last nite & drowned in the toilet. I have had Finn for 13 months he was my heart. I have no idea how he got in the bathroom. My baby is gone. I still have Dee my baby girl but she was more bonded to Finn than me. What can I do for her?

Broken hearted, Mama
Attachments
080.jpg
080.jpg (363.79 KiB) Viewed 2450 times

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:44 pm

I'm so sorry - that is a very common cause of death among flyers (you aren't the first, and won't be the last I'm sure).

I don't know about what you can do, emotionally, for your other flyer, but I strongly recommend you install a toilet ladder as soon as possible:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/atta ... 1242004502

That is an image of one - very easy to make out of chicken wire. This will help prevent any future tragedies.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Shannonriver
Baby Flyer

Postby Shannonriver » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:58 pm

The house rules are always keep bathroom door shut & toilet lid down, but....I have been very sick the last few days & my son had friends over last nite. I dont know if he snuck in while I was in there, but someone came after & left the lid up. It breaks my heart to know he was in there probably squeaking & I didnt hear him. There will be a toilet ladder installed ASAP.

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:32 pm

I'm so sorry Shannon :( If it makes you feel better, there may have been no way you could have known. My flyer was caught in a scarf a few weeks ago, and she was only a few feet from me, and she didn't make any noise at all. Luckily I found her in time, but she was just silently sitting there with this thread twisted around her neck. You'd think they'd call out for help but that's not necessarily the case :(

And what happened is, sadly, very common. I really hope it makes you feel better (hugs). We're here for you!

Workman4_2000

Toilet ladder

Postby Workman4_2000 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Can someone post a picture of the toilet ladder - we lost our baby Mattie a few weeks ago and will be getting a new baby this spring but I can trust the lids being down as a solution -;( heart breaking and barely able to make it over her death so won’t take a chance on another

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:29 am

I don't think anyone has posted a picture but they would be easy enough to make. Just fashion as wide a piece of hardware cloth as you like and drape it over the lip of the toilet rim (Seat up) and bend it down so the hook of it holds tight and drape in into the toilet so that it is partially under water.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”