Diarrahea and gasping for air

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

APlot2
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Diarrahea and gasping for air

Postby APlot2 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:01 pm

I got the baby flyers about a week ago. They all had their eyes closed when we got them but have both eyes open now, but since they still appear sleepy looking, I'm guessing their age to be about 5 weeks. Initially I couldn't find Ebsilac locally so we fixed up the goat milk/heavy whipping cream, etc formula. I finally got in the Fox Valley formula today and have started them on it as of around 3:00 PM. They are all active and seem to be doing well with a couple of exceptions. All three started having loose stools about two days ago. I'm sure it was the Ebsilac, but couldn't seem to get the mixture to an agreeable level for their digestive systems. I did keep them hydrated, so no danger there. The other issue is that the smallest of the three seems to choke when he is feeding. He will stop and gasp for a second (seems like forever), then immediately go back into a feeding frenzy. I am using the catac nipple on a tiny syringe. I gave him a 50/50 mix of Karo and distilled water earlier today and it seemed to significantly lessen the appearance of choking.

Having said all that, I have a few questions. First, how long should it take for the new formula to level out their digestive systems? And secondly, what else can I do for the little man to alleviate the gasping? I have already begun to feed him smaller portions with more frequency. Should I add a tiny bit of Karo to the new formula for him also, or will the Fox Valley help with this also?

I have raised baby flyers before, but these are the first that I have gotten before their eyes were open.

By the way, I do stimulate them for bathroom business after every feeding.
Thanks for any help that you can give.

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Diarrahea and gasping for air

Postby DinNorman » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:30 am

Sounds likely to be dietary. A rehabber who has lots more experience at this, than I, can give you some valuable advice
David

APlot2

Postby APlot2 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Quick update. The Fox Valley has leveled out the digestive systems on the two strongest. My little bitty guy is still doing the choking/gasping thing when he eats, but not quite as bad. His stool is still a little loose, but not to the point where I would classify it as diarrahea. I firmly believe that is because I am still adding a very small amount of Karo syrup to his formula.

Even more good news...they are starting to use the restroom on their own now. I am still stimulating them, but a lot of the time the evidence is already there. I'm still hoping someone will chime in on the gasping. Thanks.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:16 am

APlot2 wrote:... My little bitty guy is still doing the choking/gasping thing when he eats, but not quite as bad.

Some do this especially if they are pigs. As long as no clicking sound (ASPIRATION PNEUMONIA), he'll likely stop. Tom Hauk used to make his pups stretch out almost full length from his hand to get formula. He said it seemed to prevent gulping.

APlot2 wrote:...His stool is still a little loose, but not to the point where I would classify it as diarrahea. I firmly believe that is because I am still adding a very small amount of Karo syrup to his formula.

I'm sure this is it. Nothing needs to be added to the formulas.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

APlot2

Postby APlot2 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Well my little guy definitely has pneumonia. Initially I couldn't hear any clicking sounds, but last night they were there and profound. I have some Cephalexin here, so I called an after-hours vet and we came up with a the dilution ratio and dosage. He made it through the night and I gave him his antibiotics this morning. He has gotten progressively more lethargic throughout the day. Last night, and again today I ran some very hot water, took a towel, and both of us breathed in some good old vapors...per the vet's advice. I noticed cyanosis (blue coloration on his lips) tonight, so that explains why he is so lethargic. Obviously they don't make oxygen kits with non-rebreathers for juvenille flying squirrels, so I took a small critter carrier, sealed it up as tightly as I could (safely could), and used my small oxy-acetylene torch setup to do blow-by therapy for him. We got his lips to pink up a good bit and managed to get him to eat tonight. I'll keep him on his oxygen therapy all night or until the tank runs out (hopefully all night). First thing in the morning I will make a Home Depot run to pick up more oxygen.

If he makes it through the night, how long do you think it will take for the antibiotics to get him out of danger?

skul
Baby Flyer

Postby skul » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:18 am

I'm still new to NFSA, but I've been part of another squirrel forum
Rather impressed that you would think of adding o2 from the bottles.
I know it's been a few days, and if you can, an update would be nice.

APlot2

Postby APlot2 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:21 pm

I wanted to post an update. My little fella didn't make it. We took him to the vet as soon as he was open. Of course he verified that it was pneumonia. He said that we had definitely done him way more good than harm by starting the antibiotics that we had. He gave him a shot of antibiotics and a little vitamin boost. The vet told us that if he could make it through the next two days that he would pull through. I kept the O2 therapy going and managed to get him to eat a little bit every hour or so, but he passed around 2AM. I feel like he would have had a better chance if I would have caught the pneumonia earlier, but the symptoms just didn't manifest themselves early enough, and to tell the truth he was always the smallest and most frail of the three. But that's part of the reason I loved the little guy so much.

The other two are doing great.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:04 am

So sorry about your little buddy. :( You did all you could.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

skul
Baby Flyer

Postby skul » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:22 am

APlot2 wrote:I wanted to post an update. My little fella didn't make it. We took him to the vet as soon as he was open. Of course he verified that it was pneumonia. He said that we had definitely done him way more good than harm by starting the antibiotics that we had. He gave him a shot of antibiotics and a little vitamin boost. The vet told us that if he could make it through the next two days that he would pull through. I kept the O2 therapy going and managed to get him to eat a little bit every hour or so, but he passed around 2AM. I feel like he would have had a better chance if I would have caught the pneumonia earlier, but the symptoms just didn't manifest themselves early enough, and to tell the truth he was always the smallest and most frail of the three. But that's part of the reason I loved the little guy so much.

The other two are doing great.

That was a heck of a good try.
Very happy that you would do what you thought best.
It's very sad that we lose one of our little friends.
I can't thank you enough for at least trying.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”