How can I get my flyer baby to stop nursing his genitals?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

ksingels
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

How can I get my flyer baby to stop nursing his genitals?

Postby ksingels » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:23 am

This topic is a little crass, but I'm genuinely concerned about my 10 week old flyer. I've just started to wean him off of his formula and stick him in a big squirrel cage with all the apples nuts and water that he could possibly desire. I still offer him the syringe of formula every day to be sure he doesn't want it anymore, and he's learned how to use his water bottle and seems to be happy with his new home full of fleece pouches and tunnels I've sewn for him. But I've noticed how his manly bits have gotten really red and engorged and it looks somewhat painful. Then I caught him grooming himself as usual, but instead of grooming his belly like I had initially thought, he was actually nursing on his genitals. I made him stop immediately and I'm assuming he's doing this because he misses nursing. But what is something I can do to make him stop besides spraying bitter apple or something like that on it? Is there any topical treatments that could help ease the swelling or what I'm assuming may be pain that is safe for me to use? And please tell me this is something that they eventually grow out of!!

Joan
Site Admin

Re: How can I get my flyer baby to stop nursing his genitals

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:17 am

This is not that uncommon, but it's easier to deal with if they are doing this to another pup ... you just separate them. Whatever treatment you use I'm sure will be licked off. I'll ask the rehabbers what they think and you might also check with the Squirrel Board: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/index.php
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Wanda
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Wanda » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:17 am

There is not much you can do. I have had baby gray squirrels who nurse their genitals. People would tell me to feed him but that was not the case. Just as soon as I fed him, he started to nurse his genitals. They got so swollen and sore that he wouldn't nurse them as much. You might want to try Yuck. You can get it from Chris' Squirrels & More. http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/yuk-anti-lick-gel.html It seems to work better for me than bitter apple. You could also also try Thumb. Thumb is used to encourage human babies to stop sucking their thumbs. Joan is right, it is easier to deal with if the nurse each other. Most of mine do that. I have so many nursery boxes where I have had to separate them. But your baby will stop.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

ksingels

Postby ksingels » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Okay well I thought it would get better on its own but now its almost swollen to the size of my pinky! What should I do? Is there anything a vet could do if I take him to our squirrel vet?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:05 pm

What have you tried that didn't work?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”