Odd Question for the Rehabbers!

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Amorice
Juvie Pup

Odd Question for the Rehabbers!

Postby Amorice » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:13 pm

So, earlier this evening my FI and I were leaving the house, and saw a little sparrow on our walkway. Nothing out of the ordinary, but he wouldn't move, even when we got close. We thought something was wrong and got just a liiiiitle closer, and he ran! He got to the stairs and tried to fly, but just sort of hopped awkwardly, it looked like his left wing was bent weird. So, since I already had the supplies to care for a small nut-eater (my little flyer, Ichigo!), I grabbed her travel carrier and some seeds and we managed to catch him and take him to a vet. The vet said that the little bird has a broken shoulder, it'll mend but he'll never fly again and can't survive in the wild. Normally in that case, they'd put the animal down. We couldn't bare that, so we agreed to take him in. After a few calls to friends, we found the name of a nature sanctuary not too far away from FI's parents place. We still have to contact them to make sure they'll take him, but it sounds like they will. He's staying at the vet tonight and we'll buy some small bird supplies and pick him up tomorrow morning, then take him to the sanctuary when we travel to that area for Easter weekend (its a 2 hour drive).

After that long story (sorry), my question is: while the bird is here (wouldn't be longer than a week or 2), is there anything it could be carrying that could potentially hurt my flyer? They probably won't even be housed in the same room or have contact with one another, but I have no idea what a wild sparrow in central PA might be carrying that could hurt my pet. If you have any advice for me, that'd be awesome! Thanks in advance!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Odd Question for the Rehabbers!

Postby Joan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Birds can carry germs that are harmful to young flyers especially.viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1947&hilit=Psittacosis I'd just clean the cage well with a 10% chlorex solution after taking the bird to the center. Rinse well in clear water after cleaning.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Amorice
Juvie Pup

Re: Odd Question for the Rehabbers!

Postby Amorice » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Thank you! Ichigo is 3, so she's not a really young flyer. So we'll make sure that nothing that comes in contact with the bird also comes in contact with Ichi. FI already agreed to take total care of bird stuff, while I take total care of squirrel stuff so there shouldn't be any mixing, but we'll be sure to be extra careful as well.

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”